Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 1,610 total)
  • Gigs.
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Iron Maiden have just announced a UK tour next year so that’s going to be added to my list:

Aussie Pink Floyd
    The Cure
    Ozzy Osbourne (he’s rescheduled again – although I am not holding out much hope)
    Iron Maiden

donks
    Free Member

Dub pistols tomorrow at my local, then Bodega at Bedford esquires at the end of the month

CountZero

The Dears at The Exchange in Bristol tonight, nice little venue, let’s just say compact and bijou!

binners

Snarky Puppy

I’m still trying to comprehend what it was I actually watched last night. Snarky Puppy was my first experience of live Jazz Funk fusion stuff, which involved instruments I’d never seen before and lots of bongos

It felt a bit like being trapped in a factory that was manufacturing the theme tunes to 1970s American TV shows

They’re clearly amazing musicians but I’m not sure I ‘get’ it, with my aversion to too much noodling. There was A LOT of noodling

johnx2
    Free Member

Snarky Puppy was my first experience of live Jazz Funk fusion stuff, w

saw them on their last tour, in Manc, on the strength of youtube clips basically, and frankly it was a bit too heavy a dose of amazing solo after amazing solo, after a while it’s a bit yeah yeah. I’d no clue they were so popular.

We’re off to see this guy next week in Manc again, and I’ll be missing likely okay surf to do so and not even minding, much.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Dub pistols tomorrow at my local

I’d forgotten that was on and have made other plans. Drat.

Stainypants

Got cheap tickets to Public Service Broadcasting in Keele, Stoke is becoming my go place for gigs at the moment. Probably going to see Sea Power and Billy no mates at the Sugar Mill in the next month.

beamers

Public Service Broadcasting last night at the Ironworks in Inverness.

Absolutely superb!!! Fairly small venue (which is getting flattened to build another hotel unfortunately).

PSB are on my list of bands to see whenever possible.

CountZero

They’re clearly amazing musicians but I’m not sure I ‘get’ it, with my aversion to too much noodling. There was A LOT of noodling

That’s jazz for you, file alongside stoner hippy bands (see: Grateful Dead).

Oh, and some Prog; they were often jazz influenced. Yes’ ‘Topographic Oceans’ probably the nadir – a triple album that might just have made a half-decent single album.

barney
    Free Member

I’m still trying to comprehend what it was I actually watched last night. Snarky Puppy was my first experience of live Jazz Funk fusion stuff, which involved instruments I’d never seen before and lots of bongos

It felt a bit like being trapped in a factory that was manufacturing the theme tunes to 1970s American TV shows

I was there too – thought it was truly excellent. However, even I, a self-professed fan of the noodle – struggled a little to attend properly at times. It was funny watching a vast sea of bald middle-aged men’s heads bobbing in time to the music, tho 🙂

simondbarnes

Saw the Paul Farr Trio at MASH in Macclesfield last night. Excellent gig. Luke Flowers is a bloody amazing drummer, a joy to watch & listen to.

binners

@barney – definitely guilty of being a bobbing baldy bonce 😃

Annoyingly, both my retired friends I went with, despite being considerably older than me and Rob (also bald) are both sporting full heads of hair

I thought it was great! Something really different. Like I said, they’re all clearly phenomenal musicians. I loved the way they had the big screen showing you the close ups of the ridiculously skilled noodling

avdave2

I saw Shijin at The Verdict in Brighton last night. I went because a friend wanted to, I’m not into jazz.

Well I’m still buzzing from it now, I thought I’d at least enjoy it but I didn’t expect to totally love it.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Anyone know of a jazz venue that does food? Reading this makes me wanna eat noodles whilst listening to noodles.

sillyoldman

Pavement a week on Tuesday, Bill Callahan and Stereolab next month and Mogwai late December in Glasgow.

Grand.

Stainypants

Ive seen Public Service Broadcasting loads over the years and to be honest I was a little board last night some good bits but I didn’t do it for me. It may have been that atmosphere wasn’t great compared to the usual drunken festival crowd.

2tyred

Yes yes yes! Gabriels (finally!) at SWG3 in Glasgow in just over a week.

No no no! Means coming home from Aviemore a day early. Tyred weans not impressed. But screw them, Gabriels!!

After King Tuts being cancelled and them being billed to support Michael Kiwanuka then not being there, I won’t believe it til I see it.

@sillyoldman
    – forgot about Bill Callahan, just ordered them now, cheers!

kayak23

Pavement a week on Tuesday,

Just had a look at tickets at the Roundhouse in London out of interest.
    £172 standing!
    £183 in Manchester!
    Are they absolutely effing bloody twuntin mental!? 🤣

I love Pavement, but.. Jesus wept! 😳😳😳

docrobster
    Free Member

Going to see PSB tomorrow night. Wasn’t panning to but been offered a ticket tonight. Also seen them a few times since 2013. Most recently blue dot this year. They can be absolutely great (2018 larmer tree) or bang average. Anyway, I’m looking forward to it.

anagallis_arvensis

PWEI tonight in Oxford, like a fine wine!!

sillyoldman

@kayak23 Jings!
    Barrowlands was £46.50 inc fees etc.

lovewookie

Teetering on Sepultura at the qmu in November… Not sure, may be good, Sacred Reich support, so could be rowdy. 🙂

Just bagged half price tickets for Fields of the Nephilim in December in Edinburgh… One I’m looking forward to, if they don’t cancel .

wordnumb
    Free Member

Teetering on Sepultura at the qmu in November…

Worth it just for Casagrande.

desperatebicycle

Saw the mind blowing Gilla Band in Brighton last night, saw em a few years back (called Girl Band) and they were amazing that time. They’ve got better. Staggering noise. In fact, I’ve got a weird vertigo thing going on in my right ear and I did stagger out of the venue at the end.
    PVA in Southampton tonight if my lug’ole can take it. 😀

spooky211
    Free Member

Mogwai in December (first time seeing them for me, can’t wait!), Brian Jonestone Massacre and Weyes Blood early next year then Roger Waters in June – all in Glasgow.

woody2000

Saw CUD at a little gig in Halifax week before last, they were great.  PVA at the Belgrave in Leeds next week, then JOHN at the Brudenell 18th Nov.  My earplugs are getting some hammer 🙂

teenrat

Deep purple in Manchester on Wednesday! Excited.

2tyred

Gabriels were every bit as great as I hoped they’d be. Really special.

cinnamon_girl

Deep purple in Manchester on Wednesday! Excited.

Blimey! What’s the line-up these days, as a matter of interest?

docrobster
    Free Member

Unexpected Wednesday night out to see Thea Gilmore last week, which was nice. Next on the bill is pip blom a week on Friday, the first of a three gigs in three different towns weekend…🎶😃

CountZero

Forgot to mention seeing Angel Olsen at Bath Forum last Wednesday. Great venue, however they were doing a sort of ‘trust barrier’, where they have a marked area at the front that you stand behind, instead of a barrier. Which is fine, but standing in one place for four hours with nothing to lean against to take weight off your feet gets very tiring!

Terrific performance, though, and she has a cracking band with her.

desperatebicycle

@woody2000 – in for a treat with PVA. Superb stuff. Bit Factory Floor, bit Cabs, bit acid, bit DAF , gotta love a live 303 🙂

Next is TV Priest, also at the Joiners. 5 gigs in 2 weeks in Nov, culminating in one I’ve waited literally years for due to Covid… clipping. My lord I’m excited about that.

Been filling in my history from my Google Calendar into here, will move to ticket stubs next I’m WFH 😀
    https://www.concertarchives.org/
    Nice n geeky to have an online record 🙂

woody2000

Cheers @desperatebicycle – they’re a new band to me, looking forward to it 🙂

bigblackshed

I went to see Richard Marx, he of fluffy hair 80s & 90s soft rock, at Union Chapel in that there London a few weeks back. He’s still got an amazing voice and had the crowd of certain aged women in the palm of his hand. It was a bit of an expensive nostalgia trip for me. Saw him in the late 80s when fluffy haired soft rock was a thing.

I’m taking Boy2 to see The Pretty Reckless at the Academy in Bristol next week.

Frost* at KKs Steel Mill in Wolverhampton next month. Then the next one will be rescheduled Karnivool in Birmingham in February. Those two I’m really looking forward to.

llama

where they have a marked area at the front that you stand behind

Yes it’s an odd venue. They can’t make their mind up about standing. I’ve had:

Artist says ‘this is odd, hey everyone, come down the front’. This worked well.

No coming to the front at all (failed spectacularly with a comedy moment of a middle aged woman being chased by security before the majority won out by rushing the front)

Only allowed standing along the sides, with stroppy security.

To be honest, unless it was an act totally suited to a seated auditorium, if they are too big for Komedia, I’d rather they went to eg Bristol

Northwind

CountZero

however they were doing a sort of ‘trust barrier’, where they have a marked area at the front that you stand behind, instead of a barrier.

Ages back I went to see China Drum at the edinburgh venue, and there was no barrier but the bouncer- the one bouncer- had decided that he wanted a gap anyway. He was about 5 foot tall, built like a twiglet, and held us all back by sheer force of personality, angle of cigarette, and madness of glare. Took all the way into the encore before someone built up the nerve to close the gap and rock out properly, I assume that person is buried out behind the venue.

wooobob

We saw Gabriels too (Sunday night in Manc). Excellent, although everyone scratching their heads at how short the set was! What they played was great though, he’s quite the showman.

toby1

I went to see alexisonfire last weekend, and although I’ve been to gigs post pandemic this was the first time I really got back into the crowd. I’m a bit fan of theirs so had an amazing time, love the band, the crowd were ace in Brixton too. Needed a breather after the first 30 minutes, but then went back for more! Awesome night.

teenrat

Blimey! What’s the line-up these days, as a matter of interest?

Ian Paice, Ian Gillan and Roger Glover from the 70s line up. Don Airey on the organ/keyboard and guitarist is Simon McBride who replaced Steve Morse this year.

They were great and still sounded awesome. Don Airey is a keyboard legend!

Cougar

I’m taking Boy2 to see The Pretty Reckless at the Academy in Bristol next week.

I saw TPR in Manchester on Thursday. Another tick on the bucket list, great gig.

You know what though, I think I’m done with the Academy as a venue. It’s always rammed so even at the back like an old fart you’re still shoulder-to-shoulder with folk, and because it’s so flat you can’t see shit if you’re somewhere in the middle.

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 1,610 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.