Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,602 total)
  • Gigs.
  • Sandwich

Apparently we’re seeing Springsteen next year at Villa Park. Last time we were there Mrs S was carrying Ms Sandwich and we got a suntan.

the-muffin-man

Saw REEF headlining a local festival on Saturday night.

A band I’ve always dismissed and wasn’t expecting great things off, we even considered leaving early as it was starting to rain. But ruddy ‘ell they can’t half string a rocking set together!! Just a fantastic uplifting 1.5hrs of good music. Well worth seeing.

2tyred

Dean Wareham playing mainly Galaxie 500’s On Fire album Saturday at Oran Mor in Glasgow – I hadn’t spotted it, mate pointed it out and it was ace. Even bumped into a very old friend who I’ve not seen in ages, bonus!

Next up is Michael Kiwanuka in Edinburgh next week, although it’s really Gabriels who are supporting him that I bought the tickets to see. Just about got over the fact that their show earlier this year at King Tuts (yes! imagine that!) got cancelled and not rearranged, hoping they get more than 20 minutes.

docrobster
    Free Member

Like desperatebicycle I saw wmc at an “outstore” gig the other week- at Leeds brudenell. It was ok but they were t really going for it. A week later at blue dot they were much better. Other highlights of that weekend were psb who played Friday night instead of spiritualised who had covid. Something special about seeing them doing their songs about space underneath the Lovell telescope. Also recommended were lido piemente (?sp), porij, warmduscher and of course sea power.
    Jockstrap were pants.
    Next is hopefully Richard Hawley at the leadmill next week if I can wangle a ticket.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I saw Mr Switch and Symphonica perform an Ibiza Classics set at Lusty Glaze beach in Newquay on Friday 21st July. What a night. The sun shone, the beers flowed, the crowd was well up for it. I had an absolute blast and felt much younger than my 46 years. Saturday I felt quite a lot older than my 46 years.

redmex
    Free Member

Texas playing at North Berwick just forgot how many good songs and Sharleen Spiteri hits all the notes
    Great sound and she keeps the crowd entertained with the chat/patter between music
    A puffin managed to get into the big top brought to the stage then hopefully found its way back to the May isle

desperatebicycle

Just bought a ticket for Rudi Zygadlo.. £8.50! Sorted!
    Somehow gotta get to London for it though

docrobster
    Free Member

Just back from Richard Hawley at the leadmill. Jarvis came on and did a couple of songs with them. First time back on that stage for him since 1993 apparently. Great gig. Great venue. Great night. Playing Thursday and Friday too- tickets to be had on Twickets… mr Ben and the bens are support on Thursday – worth it for them alone. Rebecca Lucy Taylor came on last night… who will be the special guests later in the week? Sheffield (or Rotherham)legends only need apply
    Bought tickets to Julia jacklin in Manchester in November too. 😄

lovewookie

Was reminded by my daughter that Clan of Xymox are playing glasgow tonight.

I’ve not seen them live for about 15 years, and it was on the list when they announced it, though I’m not sure. small venue. it will be sweaty and humid. the last ‘intimate’ gig the glasgow goths attended was front 242, where a lot caught Covid242.I’m wanting to avoid that, but the prospect of wearing a FFP2 mask in a humid gig is not filling me with joy.

maybe I just risk it…stay at the back out of the way (whilst swaying side to side and walking backwards and forwards)…surely it’ll only be half full anyway…maybe…it’s only £20 and helps out the venue too.

nicko74

Herbie Hancock at the National Concert Hall in Dublin last night. Great venue – traditional concert hall for recitals etc, not too big, and pretty much full.
    In terms of the set, I didn’t know what to expect, but it really wasn’t what they played! There was an awful lot of kinda trippy freeform jazz, and it was only at the very end that they played anything I recognised (Headhunters, Watermelon Man etc). But still an amazing gig – for 82 he’s got some moves and clearly still loves playing!

Next up, Alt-J and Widescreen Cinema (?) in 2 weeks

Northwind

Honeyblood tonight, not the biggest fan but it’ll be interesting to see how it’s all evolved since Cat left.

jamj1974

After lockdown – too many gigs with mates – need to prioritise family… Feel like a dumbass…

grannyringking
    Free Member

Roy Ayres the Liquid room Edinburgh- what a perfect combination of a proper music legend, very talented band, fantastic appreciative crowd and a great venue – hes an old fella now and he took a wee while to get on stage (walking stick and assistance) but once he was at his instrument there was a twinkle in the eye and away he went – an amazing evening.

Northwind

Honeyblood was good. A bit messy, you could tell they were rehearsed but not fully match fit, think it’s their first show for a couple of years. But still ace, the current lineup is really strong and three-piece suits a lot of the songs. The support band Posable Action Figures were ace too, get along early if you’re seeing this tour.

theotherjonv

I was At the Edge of the Sea yesterday – David Gedge’s mini festival at Concorde 2 on the seafront at Brighton. Unfortunately nightmare traffic (thanks rail strike, I had to drive) and a total lack of parking in Brighton I missed all but the last song of the Cinerama set, but then saw a right eclectic mix, from Swedish new-wave punk Syndromet (recommended, great Brassneck cover in Swedish!) through to ethereal violin and keyboard duo Aegli and even a funny and quite ranty spoken word piece by Dan Searle.

Highlights of the undercard for me was Liines, a bit of a Placebo like vibe from Manchester town. And both headliners rocked, Primitives were excellent and Tracey’s voice has improved with the years and she shakes a mean (2) tambourines. And of course TWP doing Seamonsters in full, and then a selection of crowdpleasers. I’ve seen them somewhere between 30 and 40 times and this was one of their best.

Great venue too, highly recommend….. but I’ve never sweated like that at a gig before and I wasn’t even in the mosh pit.

Only complaint. £5.80 for a pint. Then they had a couple of bottled non-alcoholic beers for non-drivers. 2 bottles = 660ml = 1.1 pints give or take, but that was £7.60; £3.80 a bottle. At least tap water was free!

Pz_Steve

Saw the wonderful Rosie Crow (aka Rosie Vanier, of Rosie and the Goldbug) yesterday and a gallery launch in Newlyn. Just such an amazing voice – still sounding powerful, meaningful and original.

Now digging out my R&TG CDs…

llama

End of the Road

So many good acts I’ll just list the ones completely new to me that stood out and would love to see again, which were:

apollo ghosts
    warrington runcorn new town development plan
    alabaster deplume
    kevin morby

Even enjoyed fleet foxes despite only knowing the one song, much better live that I expected

verses

Went to see The Interrupters at Brixton Acadamy on Saturday, absolutely loved it. 3rd time I’ve seen them now, and def won’t be the last.

Only downside was my mate’s phone getting nicked from his pocket during the gig, along with about 20 other people’s judging by the queue at lost property after the gig.

While we were there Mrs V was at the Taylor Hawkins tribute, it sounds as though it was quite an experience, but I’m happy with my choice of a sweaty gig in a smaller venue.

Next up is Nova Twins in November.

oomidamon

I encountered a new type of annoying git at a gig on Saturday – the bloke who acts like he’s the biggest fan of the band during the two songs he knows then spends the rest of the gig looking at his bloody phone / going to the bar.

StuF

I was at Bristol Forwards festival on Sunday. The Chemical Brothers headlining were superb as usual and went through a collection off their back catalogue.

Self Esteem looked like they were having fun on stage. Sleaford Mods were good and shouty – not sure what the one bloke did apart from occasionally press a button on the laptop and spend the rest of the time bouncing around.

Melt Yourself Down were excellent and really suit the festival crowd.

desperatebicycle

Forgot about this thread. Saw Sudan Archives in Brighton, absolutely brilliant. I was right in front of her as she sung some very rude words and shook her bits around. Marvellous. Loved her waaayyy before 6Music started playing her stuff, so was chuffed to get to see her in a tiny venue. Talented electric violinist, singer, rapper, got it all. And the (mancrush!) bloke doing the electro-drums and bass noises was great too, smiling all the way through.
    Rudi Zygadlo next, in London. Leading up to almost 2 gigs a week in October.

Northwind

Machine ****ing Head tonight, woargh!

Went to Connect festival the other week, I was a bit skeptical since it’s one of these newfangled nice festivals, with proper food and flushing toilets and security who’re not at open war with you. But it was ace, for a day- Self Esteem were brilliant, Rae Morris was lovely, and Mogwai and Idlewild both killed it on home turf. 10/10, would middle-age-middle-class again

docrobster
    Free Member

Eotr for me was all about the bug club. Bass face to the max.
    Umlauts were fun. Steam down. Bcuc. K.o.g. All great first time I’ve seen them.
    Pixies was ace at the front. Porridge radio superb too.
    Khruangbin meanwhile we’re disappointing. Style over substance.
    Glad we stayed till yard after too. Delayed by lightning on Sunday night but lively as hell!

doomanic

Electric Callboy in Nottingham on the 23rd. I have a spare ticket if anyone is interested.

CountZero

EOTR at the weekend, saw bits of a few people, but standouts were:

Sudan Archives

Apollo Ghosts

Pigs x 7

Shovel Dance Collective

Anaïs Mitchell (fantastic voice and writer)

Tinariwen

Fleet Foxes

Yasmin Williams

Margo Cilker

The Weather Station

Perfume Genius

Pixies

Katherine Priddy

Hurray For The Riffraff

Lucy Dacus

Aldous Harding

I’ve got Fleet Foxes on Thursday, at the O2 Arena, The Dears on 6 October at the Exchange in Bristol and Angel Olsen on 19 October at Bath Forum.

Pixies was ace at the front

Where I was, just by the left-hand end of the stage. Pretty much the same for Pigsx7, but they were sodding loud – I was vibrating from my collarbones to my feet! Hearing protection essential.

lambchop
    Free Member

Alvvays, Islington Town Hall

Northwind

Phew, just paid £140 for 3 Mogwai tickets in December. It’ll be worth it but damn…

binners

We’re off to see Ash next week at the Ritz. They’re doing a 21st Anniversary tour of Free All Angels which means that we’re all bloody ancient as we saw them first time around, and we were hardly Spring Chickens then

They’re great live though

duncancallum

Sabbath tribute band in Dumfries 17th

Ugly kid Joe n wagons November

davosaurusrex

Got tickets for Arcade Fire at the O2 tomorrow night, really conflicted on whether to go….

Northwind

Mmm. I know what you mean, but, I feel like it only hurts you if you don’t go, you’ve already got the tickets so Wim Butler’s still got your money. And at this point, nothing’s proven though I’m pretty comfortable thinking that at the very least, he’s a total shit. Like, maybe I wouldn’t buy tickets but I reckon if I had them, I’d go.

ceramicmatt

Mclusky and Jarcrew tomorrow night in Cardiff. My first gig in a long time and very excited!

Northwind

Mclusky are still bloody awesome.

Tonight is what I’m thinking of as the Ex Wildhearts Recovery Group- Scott Sorry, Grand Theft Audio, and CJ Wildheart, everything bar a Ginger. All doing their own sets plus an encore which I assume has to be Wildhearts stuff. Should be ace, I don’t think I ever say Grand Theft Audio back in the day and CJ is a genius. Just needs a Willie Dowling really.

CountZero

Re: Apollo Ghosts – their singer/guitarist had a great time crowd surfing, I took some photos, but hadn’t really looked at them until yesterday; came out quite well…

Got tickets for Arcade Fire at the O2 tomorrow night, really conflicted on whether to go….

My feelings are, yes, he behaved badly, but everyone involved was a consenting adult, it was five years ago, so why bring it up now. Reference was made to the age gap, but honestly? The difference was around 10-12 years; a number of my relationships involved age gaps of 11-12 years, in one case 14 years! The lovely girl at the time’s parents age gap was around 23-24 years!

I see no relevance whatsoever.

Now, when the other parties are teenagers below the age of consent, that’s a whole other level of reprehensible behaviour, and a significant number of male musicians have been responsible, including Elvis Presley.

Frankly I hope Regine has been kicking Win’s sorry ass really hard, invoking various Vodun deities to make him suffer, and sprinkling Cayenne pepper on his underwear!

CountZero

Some selections from the photos I took last night. One thing I did notice, and that’s Régine seems to be a lot more upfront than she used to be, maybe because Will is no longer there, so she’s taking a more prominent rôle.

And keeping an eye on Win…

muddyground
    Free Member

Molly Hatchet just booked, £30. All of the original band members are long since dead, and the new ones look and sound like fat pensioners who know not what instruments do. I am essentially going to see a sub par pub band using an old band name from the 70’s, for music I liked 40 years ago. But I am happy as anything.

CountZero

Ha! Stupid tit that I am, at the end of my post two days ago I said Fleet Foxes at the O2, instead of Arcade Fire…

I don’t think anyone noticed… #facepalm

theotherjonv

just got an email from spotify for bands in my area, and booked 2 tickets for Bug Club at the Boilerroom. It’s so local it’s almost easier than turning the telly over.

I’m already seeing them with a mate in late October, but might be able to persuade my daughter to come to this one.

Off to see these lunatics Friday night at the Key Club in Leeds.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I spotted Mogwai are touring next Feb. Shame I’ve just split up with a woman who would have loved to go. Might go by myself and have a good time anyway.

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,602 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.