Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Gig injuries?
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

what’s you moshpit mayhem injury story?

I’m currently lying here with a swollen ankle, after twisting it at The Wedding Present gig on saturday! Awesome again of course!

I also once got a black eye, when my shoe came off and whilst retrieving it got a knee in the face!

But there must be much worse?

hairyscary

I was pushed into my mate and accidentally head butted him. One of his bottom teeth went clean through his lip and cut my forehead.
    There was a lot of blood.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Busted ribs after stage diving at a FNM concert in Manchester back in the day. Didn’t look if anyone was actually there waiting to catch me and ended up hitting the floor after a very graceful swallow dive.

Got knocked out a few years earlier at a NMA gig in my hometown when there was this craze of flinging people vertically upwards. The clog/head interface was never going to end well. Woke up in the back of a St John’s ambulance and my first reaction was to get back into the gig pronto.

All pales into insignificance compared to the bass player in one of my bands who decided to stage dive in the middle of a song complete with bass and bust both ACLs in his knees! He kept playing to the end of the song mind. 😈

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I was pushed into my mate and accidentally head butted him. One of his bottom teeth went clean through his lip and cut my forehead.

you couldn’t have choreographed it any better! 😀

RustySpanner

Roter Stern – Member
    Busted ribs after stage diving at a FNM concert in Manchester back in the day

🙂
    Which one, just out of interest?
    If it was at either of the Internationals, I’ll have :Dwitnessed that.

Busted my achilles at a Culture Shock gig not so long ago…
    Age, innit?

milky1980
    Free Member

Stabbed myself with my car keys, had to remove them out of my thigh so I could drive home. Changing gear was, erm ,painful..
    Not me but my mate got a whack to the face which smashed his glasses into many small fragments, he found one of the lense fragments the next day when he went for a no.2 😆

In my youth I spent a few nights in TJ’s in Newport. Lots of injuries happened there. It had a low, spiky ceiling 😯

decky
    Free Member

My ears and lungs turning to dust,after the SWANS gig last night,seen many bands through the years,but never experienced power of noise like last night.New a lad who broke his ribs queuing up to buy a tea shirt,and he got crushed in the melee.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Broken ribs Prodigy at Leeds Festival top night

RoterStern
    Free Member

Which one, just out of interest?
    If it was at either of the Internationals, I’ll have :Dwitnessed that.

Yeah it was one of the Internationals. Can’t remember which but it was the first UK tour with Patton as the frontman.

RoterStern
    Free Member

My ears and lungs turning to dust,after the SWANS gig last night,

Also saw SWANS at the Mermaid in Brum a long time ago. I just remember it being so loud it was physical painful and bits of the ceiling started to fall off.

fin25
    Free Member

Broke my wrist when the singer from the mighty Gutworm (big lad) landed on me.

Passed out at a pitchshifter gig back in the day, was so packed I didn’t even go down, woke up in the same standing position.

Broke my nose doing a wall of death, can’t remember the band or exactly how I broke it, was very drunk.

I am now quite deaf, due mainly to gigs.

Got hit in the head by a 12″ record thrown by Otto Von Scirach. There was blood all over my face.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

lol these are wonderful 😆

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Busted ribs after stage diving at a FNM concert in Manchester back in the day. Didn’t look if anyone was actually there waiting to catch me and ended up hitting the floor after a very graceful swallow dive.

Yeah, seen that happen a couple of times.

I’ve been rather fortunate, the only real injury was when the lead singer (of the Long Ryders if I remember) stage dived onto me at the end of a gig. And that was just a bruised behind and winded somewhat.

Only other ‘funny’ injury I saw was a Uni Christmas gig when one of the myriad of support acts was a magician. Someone gave him some right grief from near the front so he went down off the stage and lamped him!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Phil anselmo from pantera tried to kill me at rock city by literally kicking me off stage mid stage dive.

mattyfez

Not personally but I remember Green day pausing their set at reading 1995, because people were getting a bit too het up near the stage.

I got launched off the stage once at a sultans of ping gig by a bouncer in some club in leeds, the band seemed to appreciate my presence, but the staff thought otherwise, luckily the crowd broke my fall!

I feel old.

Northwind

Worst was a dislocated shoulder at an A show (I was on a downward trajectory as some other dude was launching, owww) Rebroke some nearly-healed ribs during a Sepultura gig and couldn’t get out of the crush for ages, that was grim too… Got properly, thoroughly trampled during Biffy trying to protect this wee kid that’d fallen over, I had actual footprint bruises all over, that wasn’t the sorest but definitely the scariest down at the bottom of the pile. Broke my fist on some guy who thoroughly deserved it, during Idlewild at gig on the green (before they turned into Happy REM, obviously)

Oh and J S Clayden threw about 20 Pitchshifter cds right into my face from 10 feet away, the bastard. Jewel cases are jaggy! I thought he’d broken my nose

lambchop
    Free Member

Nirvana, Astoria November 5th 1991, very brused ribs from being squished against the stage barrier. Narrowly avoided being wanged in the head by Kurt Cobain’s guitar head stock when he jumped into the audience in front of me.

zippykona

NEW MODEL ARMY.

DezB
    Free Member

The Wedding Present? A middle-aged moshpit 😆

Got chucked out of a Alien Sex Fiend gig when some twonk jumped on my back and started hitting me in the back of the head! All the bouncers saw was me punching him, so I got kicked out and he didn’t. They were shit anyway!

At a King Kurt gig, where naturally you took tomatoes, flour, eggs etc, I lobbed some flour just as my mate turned towards me – caught him on the inward breath and he nearly suffocated on the flour stuck in his throat. Quite a scary few mins.

Can’t remember which gig, but another mate pushed someone as they went between us, the bloke’s head jerked back (it was a hard push) and hit me right on the front tooth. Snapped it across the gum-line, exposing the nerve. Of course, it was a Friday night and had to spend the whole weekend with oil of cloves on my gob until i could get to dentist on Monday. Only just had the implant for a permanent fix last year after decades of rubbish crowns.

RustySpanner

🙂
    Great thread.

Yeah it was one of the Internationals. Can’t remember which but it was the first UK tour with Patton as the frontman.

International 1, absolutely tiny.
    One of my favourite ever gigs.
    🙂

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

The Wedding Present? A middle-aged moshpit

they seem to draw a varied crowd, there was one lad near the front about 12 years old going for it!

I’m so old and forgetful and was slightly drunk that I didn’t even remember twisting my ankle!

pedropete

Got showered with piss from a Party Seven tin on more than one occasion watching an afternoon band at Reading, late 70’s early 80’s when NWOBHM was at full tilt. Managed to dodge the flattened beer cans that were luzzed around like Kung fu stars. Such friendly crowds.

bigblackshed

I got dragged to a Naplam Death gig back in the 80s. The mosh pit was carnage, we witnessed one guy dive from the top of the PA stack. The crowd parted like the Red Sea, splat, 15 foot-ish to a concrete floor. Towards the end of the gig a lad started going full bat shit mental around a few of my mates, landed a few punches, to which my mates all objected. Punches thrown, lad gets a right pummelling, bouncers wade in, I end up with a broken nose.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I fell off the stage once… snapped the headstock off one of my guitars!

Unfortunately it was the rather expensive one!

rascal
    Free Member

Had a bleeding nose twice at the same gig – Sepultura Arise tour, Newport Centre ’91.
    Stage dive somersault onto wooden floor (pissed and sparse crowd parted) – Mighty Mighty Bosstones, TJs in bloody Newport c.’92.
    Best injury was a torn Achilles (pissed) pogoing to Kasabian in Leicester, June 14…still ain’t right 😕

mikey74
    Free Member

Years ago I was at an Obituary gig and got hit just above the eye by a flying DM, attached to stage-diver. I walked out of the pit and blood starting pouring out. I went and found a member of staff and they got some plasters and patched me up while a passing stranger assisted.

I ended up at Isleworth A&E at the wee small hours, for my face to be glued back together.

Went to the Ozzfest at Milton Keynes and went down to see Ministry, got chatting to a lovely lady only to be knocked over by a crowd surge, she fell on top of me and my nose connected with her back, forcing me to leave the pit with blood pouring from my nose. Later on, i went down to see Monster Magnet, and had another nose/body part interface: More blood.

At Damnation Festival, a couple of years ago, I was in the pit for Anaal Nathrakh and ended up getting an elbow to the head.

More recently, I hurt my neck at a Sick of it All gig, at the Underworld. At 42, I should probably know better. I still saw the gig out in the pit, though 8)

There have also been lots of other bruisings, trampled body-parts, stage-diving incidents etc.

cinnamon_girl

Had a bit of a fight with a bloke at a Black Sabbath gig … Ozzie Osbourne threw his top into the audience at the end of a Black Sabbath gig in Hammersmith Odeon. I was determined to get it so was pushing and shoving a bit. 😳

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

My older cousin at Smashing Pumpkins (Reading, I think) dived off a stage and no one caught him. Bits of his forearm came out of his elbow!

DezB
    Free Member

My older cousin at Smashing Pumpkins (Reading, I think) dived off a stage and no one caught him. Bits of his forearm came out of his elbow

Doesn’t go by the nickname “World Class Accident” does he? Has been known to do something verrru similar! 😆

sparkyrhino

Stood Outside St George’s hall Bradford,at an Anthrax gig, a mate somehow got his ripped jeans , caught in a passing VW Beetles rear bumper,dragged 10 yards up the road,busted his ankle.After we had stopped laughing,a few of us went to help him up.Picture this, he had very long thick hair,and someones size 10 was standing on it,he was yanked up,minus a very large clump of hair and scalp.Blood and curses both flowed.

senorj

Not my injury , but I witnessed it…Drummer released stick onto cymbal it flew into the air and came down quickly ,between a poor young girl’s cheek bone & eye socket. BAWK.

stumpy01

Smacked my teeth into the back of my lips once when someone walloped me in the face….ended up with teeth imprint in my lips & it was bloody painful.

Jumping around at a Wildhearts; probably the London Astoria that I could barely walk for the next few days.

Worst one was losing a really nice Casio diving watch that my brother bought me for my 18th birthday. God knows why I thought it was sensible to wear it, but got halfway through the night & realised it was missing. When I told my mates they all said ‘ah yeah, we did think you were a bit bonkers wearing that’ but none of them suggested I put it in my pocket or something….. 😐

TimP
    Free Member

Broke nose at The Offspring in Brixton on some blokes knee as he was being lifted up to surf as someone else passed over the top of me pushing my head down into the rising knee. Have a very weak nose after years of rugby and was pretty pissed so I wasn’t too bothered but it made a bad mess of my white tee shirt.
    My mates couldn’t stop laughing either!

yunki
    Free Member

I broke my head at Reading in the 90s

Came home on National Express in just my underpants four days after the festival ended and didn’t speak in my own accent for three weeks

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I broke my head at Reading in the 90s

Came home on National Express in just my underpants four days after the festival ended and didn’t speak in my own accent for three weeks

we have a winner! 😀

maccruiskeen

john_drummer
    Free Member

I once fell backwards off my drum riser while setting up for a gig in Newcastle, it’s a long drop from the top of a drum stool on top of a two foot high rider on top of a 3-4ft stage.
    No serious damage but I had a sore backside and elbows for a few days

allan23
    Free Member

I got dragged to a Naplam Death gig back in the 80s. The mosh pit was carnage, we witnessed one guy dive from the top of the PA stack. The crowd parted like the Red Sea, splat, 15 foot-ish to a concrete floor.

Saw the same at a Napalm Death gig in Leeds sometime at the back of the 80s, the old tram depot – Queens Hall (had to look that up).

Best band injury was the drummer from Tigertailz a few years back, put one foot on the monitor to throw his sticks into the crowd, monitor was on wheels and he stretched out oh so slowly and collapsed down the front of the stage.

pjm7
    Free Member

Another one with cracked ribs, happened twice now, the most recent was 6 months ago at a Stiff little fingers do in Nottingham, got absolutely zero sympathy from the wife who was safely near the back with the friends we went with, it made motorbike racing a touch painful the following weekend.

Northwind

allan23 – Member

Best band injury was the drummer from Tigertailz a few years back, put one foot on the monitor to throw his sticks into the crowd, monitor was on wheels and he stretched out oh so slowly and collapsed down the front of the stage.

I saw the guitarist from And You Will Know Them By The Trail Of Dead fall down the back of a venue’s PA stack and get wedged between the cabs and the wall, upside down. It took about 5 minutes to get him out and he was basically flayed alive 😆 Just another day in trail of dead.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Gig injuries?’ is closed to new replies.