Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Gift like a leatherman but not
  • Ewan
    Free Member

Have a mate that has a big birthday coming up. Was going to get him a nice leatherman with his name engraved on it. However, I vaugely recall he may have one already (probably not an actual leatherman). I liked the idea, as my proper leatherman has lasted for well over 10 years so it won’t be a throwaway present.

Any other suggestions on anything that is like a leatherman, but not!

Houns

A knife of some sort? My Opinel gets used daily (so does my gerber)

Edit. Just seen these on their website

https://www.opinel.com/en/tradition/engraved

Futureboy77

Deejo knives do a custom option.

Great, light little knives which aren’t too shabby to look at either. I use mine lots when I don’t want to carry the bulk of a Leatherman.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trailwagger
    Free Member

hip flask? nothing like a leatherman, but, you know.

Ewan
    Free Member

Yeah, i meant non-knives really (thank you for the suggestions tho!). But in the leatherman vane – something useful that’ll last.

Hip flask i’ve done unfortuantely.

maccruiskeen

A hobo knife – like a leatherman in the sense of being a useful thing in your pocket  but opens out into a knife fork and spoon. Some of them split apart into separate elements when you open them.

db

So something non knife but that will last a lifetime and… looking round my office I would suggest

Kuksa – small drinking cup. I have a hand carved one with my name engraved given to me by a friend in Finland.

Tilley hat – mine has been on 5 continents

Axe – bit like a knife

Books – old rather than new, camping, tracking something they can keep

kilo

Kelly kettle? Definitely not a knife on fact it’s a kettle, but a hardy outdoor type.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Check out the Everyday Carry websites for ideas. Be warned it’s a very deep rabbithole Alice…

https://everydaycarry.com/

I love the wallet ideas

Their use of premium materials and precision construction also make for a wallet-carrying experience that’s second to none. New in 2020 is their new Adapt series of EDC-friendly wallets which streamline the process of changing your wallet features based on your mission,

I’ve often felt my wallet carrying experience is sub optimal due to the features not matching my mission profile. 🙂

maccruiskeen

looking round my office I would suggest

………………..

Axe

Looking round mine I’d suggest, err, stapler.

dyna-ti

Would help to know his interests.

My suggestion is a hammer. Estwing straight rip claw. Even sounds manly, with traditional leather grip.
    Also comes in a very fetching 400mm framing length. – £ a very keen £55 so wont break the bank. Or about 40 for standard length or curved…..he’s going to have going already isn’t he 😆

db

@maccruiskeen
    – 2 axes and 1 tomahawk within easy reach of my desk (when Teams calls get really bad its therapeutic to touch up the edges with a stone).

tthew

looking round my office I would suggest

………………..

Axe

Looking round mine I’d suggest, err, stapler.

Looking round MINE I’d suggest a diet!

maccruiskeen

I’d suggest a diet!

stomach stapler

TiRed

Nice hat, but you’ll need his size. Everyday things that get used frequently are always a nice reminder of a close friend.

eyestwice
    Free Member

@eddiebaby thanks, that’s my afternoon lost looking at cool things I never knew I needed

eddiebaby
    Free Member

@eddiebaby thanks, that’s my afternoon lost looking at cool things I never knew I needed

Yup, it’s not Brexit or Covid that is going to kill the UK economy it’s websites selling overpriced cool toys. 😎

kayak23

Everyday things that get used frequently are always a nice reminder of a close friend.

You mean like a toilet? 🚽

Does he like drawing circles? (Who doesn’t?)

What about a beautiful Iris circle drawing implement by Makers Cabinet?

It’s such a gorgeous tool. I’d love to own one.

Or they also do a solid brass pencil plane.

MSP

If they are a cyclist, how about a high quality leather jersey pocket wallet? (but they are a bit expensive so you should really like them).

https://eu.maap.cc/collections/wallets-legacy

avdave2

@kayak23 I now have a use for all the iris from our Source 4 lights that may never light another conference.😊

My suggestion is what my dad always asked for on every birthday and my sister gave him for his 80th, a picture of a dead horse and a bag that’s had cake in it.

I think that the horse was in fact only lying down but it was close enough

Russell96

In the EDC vein – a really nice metal pocket torch? Fenix or Olight are popular choices

CountZero

a picture of a dead horse and a bag that’s had cake in it.

Shirley, a pic of a dead horse and a whip or riding crop would be better?
    Anyway, back to the matter at hand;

In the EDC vein – a really nice metal pocket torch? Fenix or Olight are popular choices

Good idea, might I suggest one of these:
    https://www.reylight.net/product/reylight-titanium-lan/
    I’ve got a couple of these, bought through Drop, formerly Massdrop. Got the first one, really happy with it, then it disappeared, to my intense annoyance, so when they came up again on Drop, I ordered another one. Fairly predictably, the first one turned up in a jacket pocket that I hadn’t worn in ages…
    Really handy little light, flush tail-switch so it’ll tailstand easily, the Nichida emitter has a nice warm daylight quality, and using 14500 Li-ion rechargeable cells bumps the brightness up significantly.
    A nice touch is the addition of little recesses around the bezel, and holes in the tailcap, and a slot in the tail switch that allow 6×1.5mm Tritium vials to be inserted, so the torch is really easy to find in the dark when camping, or even in a dark bedroom or wherever. A small dab of clear adhesive holds them in place neatly. They add to the cost, that size vial are roughly £5-6, and there are ten places for them, but it’s easy to order a couple at a time, and there’s a wide range of colours available.
    If you want to go completely mental on the lumens front, Heinnie do a range of Imalent flashlights which chuck out a fair amount of light, there’s a 3-emitter light that maxes out at 13,000 lumens, but only in short bursts, and it does get hot!
    They do another with 25,000 lumens! 😳
    https://heinnie.com/imalent-ms03/
    https://heinnie.com/imalent-ms06/
    A cheaper idea might be a U.K. legal pocket knife – Heinnie now have their own version of the ever-popular CRKT Pilar, without a frame lock; it has red G10 scales, so is very light, but still has the very sturdy sheepsfoot blade of the original. The blade has a finger choil under the blade to help prevent accidental closure in use. Really lovely little knife…
    https://heinnie.com/crkt-pilar-heinnie-haynes-uk-edition/
    Oh, btw, those Imalent lights use a high-drain proprietary Li-ion cell with a USB-C port at the top, so the battery can be popped out and plugged in to charge, no separate charger needed. There are quite a few lights with a magnetic contact on the side for charging as well, no need to remove the battery at all – Heinnie have a wide range of all makes to check out.

jeb

How about a nice yeti thermal mug, check their range out….

blokeuptheroad

Jetboil? Even if he’s not into camping/hillwalking/bike packing etc. They are great bits of kit to stick in the car for a picnic or layby brew up, or to take on a country walk.

oreetmon
    Free Member

Does he hike?

An Irish blackthorn walking staff is a manly thing of beauty.

CountZero

An Irish blackthorn walking staff is a manly thing of beauty.

They certainly are, I’ve always rather fancied one, but I prefer the comfort of a forage stick – I’ve made several, out of Holly, hazel and hazel/yew, and they’re easier to grip, plus, as the name suggests, they’re good for hooking branches to bring them easier to reach for getting nuts, apples, berries and such.

This is my yew and hazel stick…

…and this is holly. Gives an idea of how a forage stick looks and works.

Turn it upside down, and you can see how the sticks grow, with a fairly thick growth dividing into two with one of the upward growing branches being nice and straight.
    Not easy to find, but hunt around online and it might be possible to find a stick maker with blank sticks for sale, which is how I got my first hazel one. Holly is lovely if you can find it growing wild, because it tends to grow very straight.

CountZero

Found this on eBay, worth a look…
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224098405163

And this one, which is really rather handsome.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124349250064

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Gift like a leatherman but not’ is closed to new replies.