Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Giffgaff, what are they like?
  • Mounty_73

What is giffgaff like, in terms of both customer service and signal/reception?

peterfile
    Free Member

It’s o2, so if you’re happy with o2 signal in your area then it’s fine.

Customer service isn’t great, so if you need to rely on them it can be a bit frustrating. I’ve only had to use CS once and they were OK, but I’ve got friends who have had problems which took some degree of time/frustration until they were resolved.

nickjb
    Free Member

Its on O2 so reception is mostly OK. Very little traditional customer service. Its mostly done on public forums. Other users get extra credit by answering questions. Much better than phoning a call centre IMHO as most questions can be answered just by searching. As a user you have a lot of control over how your account is managed so customer service isn’t really needed.

If you want to give them a go you are welcome to order a sim through my referral code and we’ll both get a fiver of free credit: http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/nickjbanks

Mounty_73

I was with o2, then moved to Tesco and now they are p***ing me off, some of my nieces use giffgaff.

But it all sounds promising as the o2 signal is the best one for me.

Sorry, already ordered a sim.

z1ppy

there was a big outage last month for a day or two, which affected all O2 customers and I had a day or maybe two over the last year that it didn;t work… not earth shattering faults but if you read the giffgaff forums, it was the end of the world.
    I wouldn’t rush to use them if I was a business, but for home use there fine… I’ve been with them for years now.

Obviously a bit late, as you’ve order the sim, but I thought a little reassurance wouldn’t go a miss.

trail_rat
    Free Member

its like o2 only cheaper and ime worse.

the few quid i saved wasnt worth the hassle.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I have found that my mobile internet is slower on GiffGaff than when I was on O2?

tonyd

My missus has been on Giffgaff for a couple of months now. It took them about 6 weeks to get her SIM card out to her, by which time she’d re-ordered, both arrived on the same day. Was a pain in the backside but now she’s up and running it seems pretty good.

As above, avoid if it’s for business but for basic ‘home user’ type stuff it seems good. And it’s cheap, which is nice.

cp

its like o2 only cheaper and ime worse.

the few quid i saved wasnt worth the hassle.

What’s worse? Both our SIMS arrived within 3 days, very easy to set up and very user friendly. I haven’t had any need to use customer service or the support forums in over 6 months of use.

It’s probably not for everyone who needs someone to talk to to step them through every stage of a registration process, but for a lot of folk, it’s great.

Good coverage, plenty of high speed 3G in S. Yorks and the North West where I use it most.

BoardinBob

Been with them now for a few months. Zero problems. Went from paying £40 a month to O2 to £10 a month to Giffgaff for the exact same service. It’s a no brainer really.

kayak23

Went from paying £40 a month to O2 to £10 a month to Giffgaff for the exact same service.

Except for the handset you were no doubt paying for within that £40 so not quite the same service. But yes, that’s a lot of cash every month.

I’m planning to go GiffGaff when mine runs out in December, and probably get a Nexus 5 or keep my HTC which is spot on frankly..

trail_rat
    Free Member

More than once voice calls just would not connect.

Im not alone whenyou look a their user forum.

If im phonin someone i want to phone them – not sms them ( which incidently worked fine even when calling put several times did not)

Did my nut in so went back to o2 with the same phone and not had it again.

Admittedly this was 4 years ago but bit once twice shy applys.

was 10 pounds with giffgaff and im 16 pounds with o2 (inc tethering – which giffgaff didnt at the time)

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

same as BoardinBob here – been with them about 8 months now, no problems, went from £30 a month to £10, granted they’re not the greatest on customer service but if you’re relatively tech happy you’ll be fine.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I’m about to join them – SIM’s already here (delivered in a couple of days, BTW) and now waiting until I have to pay a little less to Voda for the slightly early cancellation. Going for the £10/m option, seems serious value to me and no contract – hooray!

BoardinBob

Except for the handset you were no doubt paying for within that £40 so not quite the same service. But yes, that’s a lot of cash every month.

Yes on the handset but over the longer term Giff Gaff will work out massively cheaper. I was on a 24 month contract:

24 months @ £40 = £960 with O2

24 months @ £10 = £240 leaving me £720 to find a phone which is way more than I need to spend

I’m still using the Galaxy S2 that I got at the beginning of my old O2 contract and see no need to replace it. Android update, new screen protector and a new battery. Feels like a brand new phone.

Unless you’re on the phone constantly, which I’m not, then Giff Gaff is no-brainer.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

If you order one can you do it thru my link?

Gives us both extra credit 🙂

http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/wysiwyg

johnellison
    Free Member

Crap where I am. The ball and chain was using them when I met her, she’s now on Orange and it’s a bazillion times better.

chewkw
    Free Member

Mounty_73 – Member

I was with o2, then moved to Tesco and now they are p***ing me off, some of my nieces use giffgaff.

But it all sounds promising as the o2 signal is the best one for me.

Sorry, already ordered a sim.

Mounty,

I just bought a Tesco mobile then unlocked it and I am still deciding whether I should give Tesco a try or to stick a Virgin Sim (only had one problem in more than 12 years with them) in it …

So is O2 or Tesco that is pissing you off? Mine is just normal mobile and not those smart phone related.

My nieces and nephew all using giffgaff at the moment with their smart phone.

🙂

breadcrumb

Virgins sim only deals are pretty good. 30 day rolling contract £12 1gb data, 1200 minutes and unlimited text.

Uses Orange/T-Mobile masts too.

scaredypants

My daughter’s on it – tried to send a sim from her to my parents about 5 times in the last month. No show. Not great for their credibility, and nor is the recent spate of outages (some included O2 but not all).

drewd

I’ve been with giffgaff for over 2 years and have only noticed the service being unavailable 2 or 3 times in that period. As others have said the customer service is based on the forum, but they do post about network outages etc online.

They are cheap, and the service is mostly reliable. The most annoying thing for me is sometimes the top up service is down. It’s usually up again within an hour though. Overall I would recommend them.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Giffgaff, what are they like?’ is closed to new replies.