Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Giant Trance SX 2014 stem why is it hard to find…
  • c0rvus
    Free Member

Hi,

Any giant riders out there that can help? Been trying to find a shorter stem around 35-40mm with 35mm bar clamp for my trance sx 2014 and can’t seems to find any usual online bike shops. The spec on giant site says that this version of trance has OD2 but the marking on the frame only says OD 😆

jabbi
    Free Member

I think you might struggle here, the top of the steerer is 1 1/4″ rather than the standard 1 1/8″, Giant quietly dropped it on Mtbs after a couple of years as it didn’t take off. Giant and Ritchey made compatible stems but mostly in road sizes.
    The frame is the same between OD and OD2 it’s just the steerer and upper headset bearing that are different.

c0rvus
    Free Member

@jabbi
    is there any work around this without changing the fork haha, the bike currently has 60mm and I find it slow when cornering specially in tight space.

jabbi
    Free Member

Unfortunately I don’t think there is, I found a 50mm on ebay Link, 31.8mm clamp though, the problem lies with the 35mm clamp in that it didn’t really exist when these stems were about,

c0rvus
    Free Member

@jabbi,

I see, I have a fat rental bar which I think is a 35mm clamp.

that sucks really.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I have od2 on my anthem and it was a total pita to get s shorter stem. Let alone with a 35mm clamp.

I bought one from Giant themselves so ended up paying more than I wanted to.

sv

Changing the fork is the answer plus you get rid of that awful Talas/CTD arm jarring junk Fox call front suspension.

c0rvus
    Free Member

@stevemuzzy
    What length did you get in the end? All i can find is 50mm -.-. How much did you pay for the stem you got from giant?

c0rvus
    Free Member

@sv yeah i’d change the fork but ££ is an issue at the moment 😂. Can’t really tell if the fork is shit or not as I have nothing to compare it with other than Suntour XC on my voodoo bizango.

gasgasser
    Free Member

I had same problem with my Trance 1 2014

I got this and it fitted perfectly

https://www.bike24.com/p2230125.html

Edit: Ah 31.8 bar not 35mm. Sorry!

c0rvus
    Free Member

@gasgasser
    Thanks 🙂 yeah sucks its not 35mm but I can probably just have my 35mm swap with someone if they’re willing haha. Is 40mm their shortest?

gasgasser
    Free Member

40mm shortest I found

dallas95
    Free Member

Buy the stem and some new bars and sell the old stuff will be your cheapest option.

PotSi
    Free Member

I’ve got an SX 2014 and bought a 50mm stem direct from Giant, that was back in 2015 though so not sure if they still sell them. I gave it to a mate with a Trance and have since swapped everything out on the frame so running a 35mm Burgtec set up on Pikes now. Check eBay etc, good luck.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Giant Trance SX 2014 stem why is it hard to find…’ is closed to new replies.