Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Giant trance shock air woes part 2
  • kilo

After advice on here re the valve core on the rear shock on my 2011 trance x4 I bought the relevant tool, tightened the valve up and bought a new shock pump – happy days. Unfortunately the stock trance shock doesn’t seem to want to keep air. It will drop from about 150 to 90 – 100, it’s still holding air just not enough. The valve core has been replaced but no change in performance. There does not appear to be any damage on the shock and this all seems to have started immediately after the bike was unused and standing in a garage e for c6 months. So a few questions;

1) Does the valve core go in dry or should there be any oil or thread lock around it?
    2) Is my shock shot and if so can it be rebuilt or is it worth it?
    3) What’s a good replacement, don’t want to spend a fortune.

ta in advance

thepodge
    Free Member

Getting a replacement won’t be easy as they are an odd size. Most of the good service places will probably be able to fix it for you

perthmtb
    Free Member

Might have been me who suggested the Schrader vale, can’t remember, but anyway the aircan on a shock is a pretty simple beast, and if there’s air escaping there’s only two ways it can go – out a leaky valve, or past the seals.

So, if its not the valve, then next thing I’d suggest is replace the seals – if this hasn’t been done in six months then probably about time to do it anyway. Air can seal kit only costs about twenty quid and has everything you’ll need…

Then just follow these instructions, or if you don’t feel confident to do it yourself get it done professionally. Probably no need to buy a whole new shock…

Edit: All the above assumes a Fox shock, you didn’t say, but RS would be similar, just need to Google the right parts and service guide…

kilo

sorry, giant own brand shock

retro83
    Free Member

thepodge – Member
    Getting a replacement won’t be easy as they are an odd size. Most of the good service places will probably be able to fix it for you

Apparently you can run an RP23 in 190×50*.

* http://forums.mtbr.com/giant/rear-travel-trans-x-2011-a-752878.html

thepodge
    Free Member

I didn’t know that, useful info though

I just had the most basic of services carried out at the lbs for £20. I’m sure if you dropped it in yours they’d most likely find what’s wrong, then you can work out how best to fix it

perthmtb
    Free Member

sorry, giant own brand shock

Will undoubtedly be made for them by one of the big boys, so you need to find out who (LoCo will probably know), and buy the appropriate air can service kit…

kilo

bump for the evening crowd

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Giant trance shock air woes part 2’ is closed to new replies.