Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Giant Trance 29er 2014 Bottom Bracket
  • rosario144
    Free Member

Hi,
    i bought the giant trance 29er 2014 frameset and before arrives i want to have everything ready for the build. I cannot find anywere the size of the bottom bracket shell, 89.5 or 92. Anyone can tell me if the bb92 will fit and if need the 2.5mm spacer.
    Thanks

Chipbutty
    Free Member

shimano BB91 with the 2.5mm spacer fitted. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-bb91-mtb-press-fit-bottom-bracket/rp-prod44225

This is what I have fitted to my Trance 29er. Only had it a couple of months. Bought as a frame and built it up. It’s replaced my Orange 5 and I haven’t regretted it yet.

PM me if you have any other questions.

A pic of mine

nuke

Slight aside but anyone measured the weight of one of these frames? Apparently under 6 lb which sounds optimistic and not much more than the Anthem X 29er frame

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rosario144
    Free Member

Thanks chip,, just received the frame this afternoon
    I bought the 2014 frame only, I hope to finish the build this weekend. Did you route the rear brake cable inside the frame. My frame has got also clips under the tube. I found difficult to insert 2 cables in the same place.

rosario144
    Free Member

Anyone knows where the frame number is stamped on the giant trance, I can only find a white sticker with the serial frame number.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Yep routed brake hose internally. Little diddly but worth it for the cleaner look. Reverb hose internal as well. Leave you forks off for cable routing. It’s handy cos you can get ya finger in the steerer tube for helping fish them out.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Is it not stamped on bottom bracket shell? Will have a check of mine when I get home

Goldigger
    Free Member

Chipbutty
    What’s the spec on your build? Looks nice
    Looking at doing a build with the same 2013 frame as yours..

What size frame did you get? I’ve got an anthem 2009 26er medium, which is a perfect size for me being 5’9″ inside leg of 31″
    Hoping you have a medium or a small, If you do can you measure the stand over height please?

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Hi Goldigger.
    I’ve a large frame, I’m 6ft. I’ve got X-fusion Trace fork at 120mm. Stans ZTR Arch Ex rims on Hope Evo 2 hubs. Reverb, 70mm Nukeproof warhead stem with Renthal Fatbar. XT cranks with double set up. XT rear shadow plus mech, Hans Dampf front and Ardent rear both set up tubeless.

CB

Goldigger
    Free Member

Chipbutty
    Thanks

Can I just confirm the headset is 1″ 1/8 – 1″ 1/2 taper? Noticed the complete bikes in the shops have 1″ 1/2 – 1″ 1/4

Chipbutty
    Free Member

If you got the frame only, it comes with 1 1/8 and 1 1/2 standard taper. So your correct and good to fit a normal fork

Goldigger
    Free Member

Chipbutty
    Thanks again.. I was planning on getting last year’s dual sid revelation RCT3 140mm travel, 20mm maxel.
    (option of fitting a 20mm spacer)
    I googled your x-fusion fork and noticed it’s has 34mm legs.
    Was one of the reasons you choose the fork because it’s a 34mm rather than 32mm? I’m wondering if the revelation might be to flexy?
    Although the a 34mm fork is likely to cost me at a guess £200 more than the revs £314 price tag.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

I had a pair of Rev RCT 3 on my Orange 5, and while they were a good fork and I thought they were reasonably stiff, the 34mm Trace feels a bit more direct and less bounced off line in the rough stuff, and that’s with a 29″ wheel over a 26″. I was wondering if 120mm travel would be enough, and after riding Laggan black yesterday on it, I can say it is plenty and shouldn’t require more than that. It turns really sweetly at 120mm. I think if you fit a Rev you won’t be disappointed, and as you say, you can drop it internally if you feel the need.

nuke

What travel are these frames? It says 5″ but that would be 127mm but they all come stock with 120mm forks…normally the front suspension would be the same or slightly higher 😕

Anyone weighed a bare frame with shock?

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Nuke, your correct, they’re 127mm travel on the rear. A 120mm fork is apparently the sweet spot travel for the front, but some folk are running upto 140mm with no probs. unsure of the frame weight, but my whole bike feels lighter than the Orange 5 it replaced, haven’t had it on the scales yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Giant Trance 29er 2014 Bottom Bracket’ is closed to new replies.