Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Giant Toughroad Drop Bar Version, Opinions please
  • ceramicmatt

Very tempted by the Giant Toughroad SLR, drop bar range. Looks like a great option for gravel rides and singletrack. Perhaps burlier than most. Any views on the bike would be appreciated and whether the single or double chainring setup is more versatile. There’s quite a price jump between specs, although they have the same frame. Many thanks.

ceramicmatt

Anyone this evening?

Dickyboy

Depends what is important to you and where you’ll be riding – personally I’d go for 2x on anything you might use on road for any distance 48×11 is a 20% uplift on 40×11 – the gx1 with carbon fork would get my money.

ceramicmatt

I will be using it on road as well, hopefully covering some decent milage, so your thoughts on the 2x setup make good sense. Many thanks for your view on this.

mike_sussex
    Free Member

Am considering the GX1 as well, but cannot find the weight (and I would never, ever buy a bike without knowing the weight).

Note that the conduct brakes are not completely hydraulic, there is a cable-to-hydraulic converter on the stem.

ceramicmatt

I think the cable to hydraulic converter keeps the brake levers a standard size, as some hydraulic levels look too big and cumbersome. Knowing Giant, they’ve probably used a converter to reduce costs, but that’s no bad thing. I don’t mind the look of the converter in front of the stem. Maybe it will make maintenance easier? I’m not sure of the weight of the bike, the frame looks chunky! Will have to try one.

staffo
    Free Member

There’s a good review over on the Bike Radar forum https://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13088598

SludgeJudge

<div dir=”auto”>I bought a SLR GX0 earlier this year for road/bridle path riding and occasional bike packing. It’s not that light weighing around 10.3kg (medium/large) – the wheels are quite heavy but it does come tubeless.</div>
    <div dir=”auto”></div>
    <div dir=”auto”>I’ve fitted a rear rack for Ortlieb gravel pack bags and am very happy with the bike and set up.
    <div dir=”auto”></div>
    <div dir=”auto”>There’s a good review at https://cyclingtips.com/<wbr />2018/06/giant-toughroad-slr-<wbr />gx-0-2018-gravel-bike-review/</div>
    </div>

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Being very careful what I say being as I work in a Giant store….. 🙂

I’ve ridden a few Toughroads. I don’t like them. They just feel cumbersome and vague at the front. I’ve got a Specialized Sequoia and it’s quite a lot nicer IMO. More nimble, livelier.

Am considering the GX1 as well, but cannot find the weight (and I would never, ever buy a bike without knowing the weight)

Giant don’t quote weights. They say:

Weight – The most accurate way to determine any bike’s weight is to have your local dealer weigh it for you. Many brands strive to list the lowest possible weight, but in reality weight can vary based on size, finish, hardware and accessories. All Giant bikes are designed for best-in-class weight and ride quality.

So go to a store and get one weighed in your size. But then you must do the same with every other bike you need to compare it to. Quoted weights on websites are lies, generally.

I think the cable to hydraulic converter keeps the brake levers a standard size, as some hydraulic levels look too big and cumbersome. Knowing Giant, they’ve probably used a converter to reduce costs, but that’s no bad thing. I don’t mind the look of the converter in front of the stem. Maybe it will make maintenance easier?

Giant’s Conduct system is very good, and very reliable. Power is easily on par with Shimanos full hydraulics. It’s made by Tektro/TRP (Tektro Racing Products, same people) and used mineral oil and a standard Shimano Deore pattern pad, cheap and plentiful. We just don’t get any problems with it at all, including conversions we do for people with cable brakes. It’s very good IMO.

The only disadvantage is the master cylinder on the stem faceplate. It means your stuck with stems it’ll screw onto (No real problem) and it could get in the way of bar bags, lights etc. They do come with very neat adaptors to fit Garmins etc straight to them though, make sure the dealer gives you the bagful of plastic parts and bolts that come with every bike.

EG

levarg
    Free Member

If you want to compare the bike to other bikes of a similar class then I’m currently building on an online utility to help with gravel bikes comparison.

http://www.gravel-bikes.co.uk/product-category/gravel-bikes/?swoof=1&pa_brand=giant&really_curr_tax=19-product_cat

kcr
    Free Member

I would recommend going full hydraulic, having used mechanical, hybrid and fully hydraulic disc brakes on road bikes over the past 15 years. They all work, but I think the only reason not to go hydraulic now would be cost. Even then, I think that hydraulic will work out cheaper in terms of reliability and convenience in the long run.

I upgraded to 105 hydraulic this year, and they are great brakes. I really like the hood design. There’s a good platform for the heel of your hands and the hydraulic bulge provides a comfortable forward hand hold if you want to stretch out a bit.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Even then, I think that hydraulic will work out cheaper in terms of reliability and convenience in the long run.

Sorry but you’re wrong. Giants Comduct system is probably more reliable than Shimano. It just doesn’t go wrong. We sell loads of bikes with them on and retro fit quite a few too and we’ve seen precisely zero problems with them.

kcr
    Free Member

Sorry but you’re wrong. Giants Comduct system is probably more reliable than Shimano

I’m not commenting on the relative reliability of Shimano vs Giant (or any other specific hydraulic or hybrid systems) just hybrid vs hydraulic in general.

In a hybrid system you are adding a cable to the hydraulics, and in the long run that’s an unnecessary extra linkage to maintain. Cables do get sticky and need replacement eventually. Direct hydraulic actuation will also perform better than remote actuation via a length of cable.

I’m sure the Giant system works fine, but given the choice I would simplify things by going full hydraulic.

mike_sussex
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – as you work in a Giant store – could you weigh a GX 1, please?

ceramicmatt

Just catching up on the replies. Great forum, many thanks for the links and info. I think I’ll have to five one a test ride as the weight and steering could be an issue, so may look at other options. The aftersales service for Giant is generally good and my LBS is a dealer. Will look into the sequoia as an option too. Cheers

ceramicmatt

If you want to compare the bike to other bikes of a similar class then I’m currently building on an online utility to help with gravel bikes comparison.

http://www.gravel-bikes.co.uk/product-category/gravel-bikes/?swoof=1&pa_brand=giant&really_curr_tax=19-product_cat

This is Excellent!

dai3015
    Free Member

I’ve just picked up an old giant revolt, the predecessor to the toughroad (?) and have to say it’s brilliant.

I’ve got WTB nanos 40c fitted and there’s plenty of room for wider tyres. Took it off for a 15 mile bimble on Sunday, 7 miles on road and 8 on fire roads and it was ace.

mine is the bottom of the range version with claris shifters and it weighs 11kg

anagallis_arvensis

Will look into the sequoia as an option too.

If youbare worried about weight then the Diverge might be a better option from Spesh…wont be as well specced as a Giant but might be less ugly!

levarg
    Free Member

@ceramicmatt – Thanks very much for the positive feedback.

It’s a little bit of a labour of love, but nice to see comments like yours. I’ll be doing my best to keep it updated and to develop the utility more. If you have any other comments I’d really appreciate them. Cheers

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – as you work in a Giant store – could you weigh a GX 1, please?

If I can remember yep, sure. Also I dunno if we have a 2019 model in yet, all the ’18 stock is long gone.

avdave2

Giant’s Conduct system is very good, and very reliable. Power is easily on par with Shimanos full hydraulics. It’s made by Tektro/TRP (Tektro Racing Products, same people) and used mineral oil and a standard Shimano Deore pattern pad, cheap and plentiful. We just don’t get any problems with it at all, including conversions we do for people with cable brakes. It’s very good IMO.

Bit of a hijack if that’s OK. Peter would those fit a 2016 Defy Advanced? I’d been led to believe that the  TRP HY/RD or Juin Tech equivalents wouldn’t fit the rear on the small frame due to clearance issues. I expect the same problem would occur but I’d be interested to know.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Avdave – the Conduct system has a lot smaller calliper as it has a separate master cylinder on the bars. It’s basically a normal Tektro calliper which is a lot smaller than a HyRd calliper. There’s no reason it won’t fit that I can think of. That said, you’d have to offer the calliper up to the frame to be sure

Mikesussex – a 2019 Toughroad SLR GX 1 (£1249) is 10.72kg. That’s without pedals in a meduim size.

avdave2

Thanks Peter, I might take a trip over to my local Giant Store to see if it’s an option. To be honest I have no issue with the Spyres that are on it but apart from the stock wheels it’s the only thing i can think of that I’d want to upgrade. And you can’t own a bike without thinking of upgrades 🙂

plus-one

10.72kg without pedals !! Giant tough road slr is the frame lead ?

mike_sussex
    Free Member

Bit late reply, but thanks very much PeterPoddy for weighing the bike!

10.72kg is actually pretty reasonable.

tindal11
    Free Member

Hi, I have been looking at a new giant Toughroad and I’m keen on trying some cyclocross racing through the winter.

The bike would be used for cyclocross racing and training in the winter. The main use for the bike the rest of the year would be bike packing/long distance touring on and off road for the rest of the year.

I have a carbon road bike, and 29er hard tail to cover other duties.

would I be better to go for the giant tough road or possibly the giant tcx cyclocross bike?

drnosh
    Free Member

ceramicmatt.

Hey. That  is a very useful facility that you are building.

Would you like some feedback from me about Kenisis Tripster AT that I have been running for 12 months?

PM me if you wish.

ceramicmatt

Hi there, drnosh. Levarg posted the link for the gravel bike database. Perhaps send them a message, I’m sure your Tripster feedback will be welcome. Great bike the tripster! Dear Santa…

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Giant Toughroad Drop Bar Version, Opinions please’ is closed to new replies.