Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Giant Reign is it too much ?
  • dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Hi lads.

Woukd the reign be too much for trail centres etc?
    Was thinking of slackening my Boardman fs pro out a bit but there a few nice reigns on fleabay that I could buy and sell the fs pro.
    I have an anthem aswell and like the maestro suspension.

nuke

Some good prices on Reigns and they’re very capable bikes so i dont see why not; arguably too much for some trail centres but don’t see the issue myself

…if it were me though, instead of 2 Giants, id think about flogging the Anthem and getting a Trance 29er

fossy

You can’t sell a bike, keep it. Love my FS Pro (2014)

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

I was going to sell the anthem but I ended up keeping it for my son to use as he sold his bike.
    I’m just worried about peddling up the climbs on the reign as never sat on one.
    I do like the trances though but don’t think it would be much different to my fs geometry wise.
    I just get the bug every year to change bikes lol and always fancied a reign.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Never found my Reign hard to climb. The alu frames are stupidly light, even if the build isn’t – so you can get the very light.

WildHunter2009

Giant maestro bikes pedal surprisingly well. The reign is a bit of a beast on the downs as well. Nice bikes although weirdly despite the trance in theory making more sense for most riding couldn’t get on with one.

joebristol

Most of the enduro bikes pedal quite well considering the travel. When I moved from my boardman Pro fs (the silver one with revs) to a Bird Aeris 145 it was a game changer. Even though it’s heavier / slacker / longer travel I’ve smashed all my strava times bar a few very flat pedally trails and fire road slogs. When you point it downhill it’s so much more fun. You can get away with outrageous lines – but when it does go wrong the downside is you are travelling a lot faster!

I’ve done uplift days on it / natural xc routes / 50k days round welsh trail centres (Brechfa) / local trails. I was happily riding it for everything – but do now also have a hardtail for the local flatter rides to mix things up a bit.

I’d imagine the reign would fall into much the same category as the Aeris – just perhaps not quite as long.

colp

Couple of lads I ride with love their Reigns but both have cracked at least one frame. They ride them hard but I’d be wary.

dab

Ridden the Reign in previous forms and a mate has a 2018 Alu with Mid level kit / Yaris

Bloody capable bike, pedals well
    I’d get one if I didn’t have a new e bike

kiksy
    Free Member

They pedal ok, not great. Seat angle is slack which doesn’t help things. As said frames are impressively light.

Rear end is very compliant, very good in the rough stuff.

On flat stuff it suffers from what many longer travel bikes have where theirs not much to pump against and it smooths everything out. Not particularly poppy either.

I think Reigns are underrated, but wouldn’t buy one to ride trail centres.

tomaso
    Free Member

They are not the fastest bike to pedal but considering how burly they are its not surprisng. I liked mine save for it being toi big for me and the seat tube is too slack.

chakaping
    Free Member

I was gonna say pretty much the same thing as kiksy.

Good bike (though there are better), not fun at trail centres.

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Cheers for the opinions lads.
    I might just stick with the fs pro then. Trail centres is the toughest terrain I do really and not worth getting one for the couple of times a year i might ride rougher stuff.
    I just get itchy feet and end up with a different bike 🤙🤙

stmachreth
    Free Member

I have an 09 Reign X2 (frame should be for sale very soon, not hinting) that’s built like a tank. It’s not light, but it’s not shy of climbing either.So much fun on trails. The Maestro linkage design was really underrated

mattherby
    Free Member

Soundsike you’re keeping your Boardman but just to make you think some more I have a 2016 carbon Reign. Same as other have said a slack seat angle could be better (probably not far of the boardman?) but it is an absolute beast. It let’s you get away with murder. I use mine for trail centres but mostly steep unofficial trails around South Wales.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d also consider the Trance 29 instead, that has pretty much the same geo as my Smuggler so I know it’ll be an awesome trail centre bike.

In fact, shout me if you’re interested in a large Smuggler frame.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I rented a 2016 reign in spain a few years ago, it climbed well, but the descending was amazing, I would buy one for my next bike, it felt so good in rock gardens and cornering.

joebristol

Maybe worth looking at something more modern / slacker than the Boardman, but not full enduro. Vitus Escarpe or something along those lines. New price they are pretty competitive.

You could look to just do a frame swap and keep your bits – I think your frame is 1x and non boost. AirDrop edit v2 would take almost all of your components I’d think. You could just lengthen your pike to 150 with a £42 debonair airshaft.

tall_martin

I had a giant reign for 11 years.

Rode it all over from local woods to Fort William.

It went up amazingly. It went along fine. It went downhill brilliantly.

If you have an anthem, why not just use that for trail centres?

If you want a reign, get a reign!

jk1980
    Free Member

The reign will be fine for trail centre use. I’ve got a 2018 Reign and I’d say it pedals better than a 140mm Bike I have.

Also it has a reputation as a bit of a bruiser. While it is very good downhill, it’s not as much of a bruiser as the GT sanction that it replaced, so for me this has meant the reign is more versatile

rickon
    Free Member

I had a 2016 Reign Advanced, team edition – so decent build, pretty damn light.

It was boring at trail centres. It was a blast on fast open DH trails, but for trail centres there are better bikes out there, the Trance being the most obvious.

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies lads.
    I ended up buying one 😀.
    I got a 2016 reign 1. I wanted the non boost as going to put my good wheels on and couldn’t be bothered with the adapters or redishing.
    But bit of a quandary now lol don’t know if I should sell my anthem or my Boardman or both?
    Going to put a few miles on the reign on Sunday to see what it’s like and might just keep 2 pairs of wheels instead of the other bikes.

donkeydave

pm sent lol, cheers

takisawa2

For some reason I always overlooked brands like Giant, Trek etc, but the carbon Trek Remedy’s I’ve hired the last few times at BPW have been brilliant. I’d happily buy one.

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Well I had my first ride out on it tonight just did 12 miles XC.
    It doesn’t feel quite as long as my Boardman but that was a large and this is a medium. I’d say it climbs no worse than the Boardman and I was able to get up some climbs that I couldn’t before. Probs new bike syndrome 😆.
    I haven’t set the suspension properly yet as it was too dark to mess around with a shock pump.
    The bars do wander more with the slacker head angle but I’m sure I will adjust. The front end also feels a lot more planted I.e. harder to wheely.
    Quite happy with it and only had the shock and fork in open position.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Giant Reign is it too much ?’ is closed to new replies.