Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Giant reign 6.7 as an all-round bike?
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

Has anyone got a 6.7″ Giant Reign that they use for all pedalling duties? I’m looking at one with a coil dhx as my only xc bike (always focussed on downhills) and wonder if this would be a bike I’d cherish or curse? Does it work with as little as 160mm on the front or would 170-180 be best?

CrombieCraig
    Free Member

Why not… if your after a bike that can do xc, trail centres & enduro this is as good as any. Granted it wont be a speed demon for the xc stuff but it will be a lot of fun when you level off at the top of ‘that hill’ and it starts to point down! I’m sure my mate had one for a while and it was run on 160mm vans, it never seemed to hold him back on everyday rides!

tmb467
    Free Member

I’m using a scott voltage as my all-round bike

coil vivid shock and 160mm van rc2s – comes in about 33lbs but with new wheels and tyres I can get it down to about 31. A Ti spring and a dropper post will make it more comfortable eventually (as might a shorter stroke air shock and 140mm air sprung forks for more xc stuff – but thats for later)

frame is great – not super light but good geometry and strong.

dont see any reason why a FR bike cant be pedalled if I’m strong enough and want one bike to do three or four tasks

al

There is a ReignX frame in my shed that was formerly my playing about bike. Worked fine with 160mm up front (thats what Giant sell it with), it also worked fine with 170mm up front. Its not the lightest of bikes for pedalling, but its not the heaviest. It pedals well, the Maestro platform does a pretty good job for a fairly long travel bike. My only issues were the TT being short for me and the shock rate being less than ideal for a man of my stature, which is why its a frame in the shed and not a bike in the shed.

Olly
    Free Member

Giant reign 6.7

That would be a Reign X then? :p
    I compiled a 4″ XC bike, and a 7″ Patriot into “one bike to rule them all” by buying a proper Reign (6″). Its great. More than enough skill compensation to Ride Andorran Lifts last summer, Maestro suspension is sublime and is perfectly pedalable on proper Dartmoor/wales rides. Ive over forked it a little (170mm 55CRs, same A-C as 160mm Lyrics) and it IS a little wandery on the steeper climbs, but if i lowered the fork to 150 using the included spacer kit im sure it would climb like an XC bike, Just not descent quite so ridiculously well.

Reign is very similar to the reign X. Apart from the travel, the angles are pretty similar, it looses the Bolt through backend, and the ISCG mounts, but is a lighter tubeset.

In short, if you havent ridden a Maestro suspension bike, give it a go. They climb exceedingly well and i doubt anyone would argue with that. The descending feel is distinctive, some love it some hate it (i love it).

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I have a great 2005 Reign running a 200x57mm air shock giving it 6.75″ of travel. I run 160mm 66ETA forks that stick down for climbing. I run 1×9, and it can be a beast on some climbs, but as an Alps bike it is great.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Being persuaded… so the reign x has a bolt thru rear end? That ups the conversion cost a bit more. I do like the idea of lyriks. It’s a straight steerer head tube as far as I know though so fewer modern options

stevied
    Free Member

Not a Reign but I ride an Intense 6.6 for everything. Van 36’s, 1 x 10. It’s a great “do it all bike”. My old 6″ Reign was a great bike too, climbing was good with Maestro and really good going down.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Seller says it’s a qr so that’s good. I’m not a fan of the idea of spending 2k upwards on a bike and like to keep things cheap 🙂 this could work out nicely. Now who’s got some good 160mm forks for sale? 🙂

BoardinBob

Dan I use my reign x everywhere. Its done morzine and canal tow paths plus everything in between. Great bike.

al

glasgowdan – later ReignX’s have a tapered headtube and 135×12 maxle backends. Can I ask what your looking to pay for an older one?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

al pop me an email, danielthefrazer AT hotmail DOT com cheers.

kudos100
    Free Member

I had an older reign x. Good frame, but I wouldn’t have wanted to pedal it about for long.

If you want something you can use as an all-rounder get the 2011+ reign.

BoardinBob

I love mine. Now gone 1×9 and also stuck a Float RP2 on it this week to lighten it up a bit

glasgowdan
    Free Member

The one I’m looking at is 2009 with the shock going through the frame, and comes with a coil shock. To be honest there’s something that makes me want to pedal a slower bike uphills to get fiter as long as it’s made-up for on the downs.

I do love the look of the newest reigns but budgets and all that.

Bob have you done much riding on it since putting on the rp2? I really don’t like those simple air cans as the last one I had made the bike feel shite, but it was a totally different suspension design. It struggled to smooth out fast chattery trails.

I’ll make a decision by tonight when I see how much the guys ask for finishing the bathroom!

BoardinBob

Bob have you done much riding on it since putting on the rp2? I really don’t like those simple air cans as the last one I had made the bike feel shite, but it was a totally different suspension design. It struggled to smooth out fast chattery trails.

Nope, first ride tomorrow. Had an RP2 before on another bike and it was fine so interested to see how this does.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

It saves a lot of weight aye. A ccdb air would be the icing on the cake but that’s big dosh for a squishy can of air!

joeegg
    Free Member

I have a 2007 Reign 0 with the RP23 shock.
    Brilliant bike that does it all.
    Mine came with a 140 fox float fork and it does feel a bit underforked but only because the maestro rear end is excellent.
    I rode the bike week in week out in Southern For 3 years and loved it.

Olly
    Free Member

My reign and my previous Trance both rode brilliantly with air shocks.
    Though the earlier reign you are looking at, with the through down tube is a fair bit heavier than my shape. Bear that in mind

If you are looking for a fork, i am really liking my new Cheaper Marzocchi 55 CR. Not the lightest on the block, but not too bad, and apparently has a 3 year no service warranty (got really fed up with my Float 36s needing constant looking at, and properly borked them over the summer.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

That’s the Reign bought; just looking for a set of forks now. I have 140mm 454 Pikes to get me by but they’re not ideal.

hainman
    Free Member

Nice buy Dan,I love my Reign 2,Probably too much bike for me but i do love it,Should find out at Inners in a couple of weeks at the Uplift 🙂

glasgowdan
    Free Member

It’ll cope fine mate. Get aff the brakes and it will all make flowy sense. The big thing everyone will find hard to get used to is the steep parts but it’s all about momentum. Tempted to take the reign if I get good forks by then, it’ll liven things up!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Giant reign 6.7 as an all-round bike?’ is closed to new replies.