Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • giant overdrive 2 stem..stripped thred…would an adjustable specialized one fit
  • georgecats_0
    Free Member

Ive over tightened the handlebar clamp and stripped the thred, being a 11/4″ they are rare,then it occurred to me that one of the specialized ones that have the reversible collar inside might fit, anyone got one they couldmeasure/sell and it would need to be about 70mm long, thanks

Sundayjumper

I just measured one of mine, a road stem FWIW, 33mm. Too big unfortunately.

kendo954
    Free Member

i have a 1 ride old overdrive 2 stem of a new bike….. 110 or 120mm (would need to double check)

if it would suit you and id sell it fairly cheap

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sundayjumper, you sure about that? Thought the specialized ones were 31.8 stem clamp?

munrobiker
    Free Member
    mrblobby
    Free Member

Well if you’re buying new then why not just get another Giant stem (e.g. 70mm in stock here.) A proper OD2 one can be had for less than 23 quid.

Sundayjumper

Yep, I measured it myself. Same stem as THIS. We’re talking about the inside of the bit that clamps the shim around the steerer. The bar clamp on the other end is standard 31.8mm of course.

georgecats_0
    Free Member

Thanks all, got a £23 giant one coming, will be more careful next time!

njee20
    Free Member

The Spesh ones should be fine, sounds like they must have changed the design.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Shame as it was nice to have a choice. Ritchey still do theirs. Syntace seem to have dropped theirs. The new Zipp ones are out but not many seem to stock them. At least the Giant ones are reasonably priced and spec’d.

Kryton57

Goddamit, but way of searching for a lighter OD2 stem, I’m back on XC racer finding more lighter bits to order…

thanks. :-/

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sorry 🙂 Where’s the Anthem at now?

There doesn’t seem to be a huge amount to save on a stem anyway (sure njee will be along with some super lightweight stems in a minute!) The Giant carbon one is about 100 quid more than the aluminium one but only about 10g lighter. Not a brilliant g/£ ratio. Looking at Zipp, Syntace and Ritchey options, there’s really not that much in it.

Edit… Just seen the AX Lightness stem, half the weight at about 75g. Only 600 Euro. Shame it doesn’t come in OD2 🙂

Kryton57

Sorry Where’s the Anthem at now?

Taking Njee’s scales of thruth’s last weigh in and detracting my kitchen digital scales grams from that number, about 25.1 lbs. If KCNC did an OD2 stem and top cap I could get 50g’s off of that based on thier current 100mm weight.

My list of ‘tings that can still go is:

Headset spacers (Giant OEM for Mt Zoom Carbon)
    KCNC band type seat clamp vs Giant OEM
    Cranks SLX to XTR – but I probably won’t do this, I’ll probably just upgrade to XC as things wear out
    Lightweight gear cables and gear/brake housings – cant be arsed with the faff TBH.

Although I was 1 place away from scoring my first national XC point on Sunday, maybe that little lot exchanged would have helped 😀

wwaswas

based on thier current 100mm weight

is this some sort of new standard for mass that an mtb company has introduced?

Kryton57

No sorry, I meant that, this is me speculating the weight of a KCNC OD2 100mm stem, based on their current 100mm 1/18th Stem (which I have on the other bike).

Sundayjumper

njee20 – I’ve just measured one like THIS, 33mm again. I’m dubious that these stems being 1¼” is any more than internet rumour turning into “truth” through repetition !

TiRed

Giant OD stems are neither rare nor expensive. I have a nice 100 mm Ritchey stem, bought to match some Ritchey carbon streem bars, that I grew out of – became more flexible. This was swapped for a nice light alloy Giant 110 mm stem… then .. became a little more flexible and swapped for the nice 115 mm carbon boxy Contact SLR from my Defy. Of course the Defy then needed the extra 5 mm and I bought a 120 mm SLR for that one!

Watch out for the titanium bolts on the SLR stems – they snap at or below the recommended torque setting!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Need a longer one for my TCR as I’ve swapped the bars recently. Have been dithering over the SLR one, but an extra 90 quid over the SL for 10 grams?!

I wonder if Pro/Shimano will ever release the one the ProTour guys use?

Edit… ah, looks like they have here. So another option to add to the list. 53 quid from Fatbirds.

TiRed

Honestly, they are light, stiff and absolutely not worth the extra! They look great though, and I rather liked the fact that they matched. If it has survived the crash, I’ll be reusing it on the new Propel.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well I’ve gone for the Pro. An extra 2% drop over the Giant one should better suit too.

So the broken Propel being replaced by a new Propel? Nice 🙂

Kryton57

Where is this lighter 100mm 1/14 PRO stem? I can only see 1/18th?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Link for Fatbirds here. In the description…

For 1-1/4 inch diameter steerer tubes

njee20
    Free Member

njee20 – I’ve just measured one like THIS, 33mm again. I’m dubious that these stems being 1¼” is any more than internet rumour turning into “truth” through repetition !

Was that whilst tightened? I’ve never measured the clamp diameter on a stem, but I’d not be surprised if a stem with a 33mm ID whilst not tight would clamp a tube of 31.8mm OD…

I’ve seen a Spesh stem on a Giant, so unless it was bodged (which is possible) they either work, or the design has changed.

Sundayjumper

It’s a big difference, stems are normally a reasonably snug fit on the steerer before being tightened. To take up 1.2mm of diameter just by tightening the clamp: 1.2 x Pi = you need to pull the clamp together by about 3.8mm. That’s a lot more than normal, and of course is in addition to whatever amount it closes up anyway. Stems don’t normally have a 4mm+ gap when tightened.

You could certainly bodge it somehow if you really wanted to I guess. I’ve Googled and found one person claiming to have done it, but no pics or measurements. So I’m still a bit dubious of the whole thing !

njee20
    Free Member

Seems likely it’s a bodge then!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Coke can shim time? 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Wasn’t sure about the graphics on the Pro one when checking it out online, but I reckon it looks pretty good on the TCR…

TiRed

Marcel would like it. Matches the blue. There was a period where Shimano posted lots of kittel adverts for Pro kmowing you could not fit noe to a Giant. Now you can 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘giant overdrive 2 stem..stripped thred…would an adjustable specialized one fit’ is closed to new replies.