Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Giant Defy sizing for 5ft 10 and a smidge
  • bangaio
    Free Member

Quick question and have searched a fair bit but I am looking at a 2010 Giant Defy in M/L Happy to be stretched out a bit and I have 32 and a bit leg but just want to check if I am along the right line size wise. I know I can go to some shops and ride them but this is my first road bike so its all a bit of an unknown.

Any thoughts?

TiRed

Medium and 110-115mm stem.

PS I have a Defy, a Defy SL, two Propels, and am precisely the same size as you (179 cm 32″ inside leg). I’m also a BC Coach that fits cyclists. M/L will be too long, you’ll need a shorter stem and bike will handle poorly. If you test in a shop, test a Medium but ask them to swap the stem to 110 mm (default is a 100).

neila

I had a M/L, 5’11” with 32″ leg and it fitted great.

bangaio
    Free Member

The difference in ETT length is the M/L is 56cm and the M is 54.5 – 1.5cm

Wouldn’t the M/L with a 100mm stem be the same length as a M with 115?

chakaping
    Free Member

I am 5ft 8in and medium fitted me fine, I reckon you need to try for size TBH.

submarined
    Free Member

5’10 and a bit here. I had a 2013 Defy in a M/L and it was too long. And I’ve only got a 30″ leg.

Kryton57

5’11 32 leg here and I get on with my Defy M/L 100mm Stem ok.   However my good bike is a 54, 24cm shorter TT but 110mm Stem and I feel “faster” on it, yet equally as comfortable.   The HT is 20cm lower so that probably extends the reach of the good bike a little.

TiRed

Reach to bars will be the same. Weight over front wheel will not be. A smaller frame and longer stem places more weight over the front wheel and will handle better, all else being equal.

If between sizes, always go smaller.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

It’s longer and lower geometry than a Defy but I’m 5ft 10 and rode a M/L TCR. However, to me the M/L Defy looks to have a stupidly tall head tube. Probably easier to sort the reach on a medium than get lower than the tall head tube would allow on a M/L. (Well unless you fit a negative rise stem)

boombang
    Free Member

At 5’10” I bought a M/L Defy as my first bike. Ended up running a -6 110mm stem with all the spacers taken out and still was too high. Few years on am running a 52 CAAD12 with 15mm of spacers and -6 110mm stem.

TiRed

How many of you had a Defy not as your first road bike, and still went M/L? 😉

It’s a great bike and a very popular first road bike. I’ve raced mine a few times and it is set up with identical contact positions to my Propels. It’s almost slammed now, but I’ve become a little more flexible. Stem has gone up to 120 mm, and 110 on the Propels. Not hugely stretched nor silly low at the front. Just a perfect fit for long days on the drops

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Giant Defy sizing for 5ft 10 and a smidge’ is closed to new replies.