Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Giant Defy Composite 3 or Aluminium 1?
  • Paulio
    Free Member

I’m getting a new bike through the cycle to work scheme (and will actually commute on it!) and have narrowed it down to these, which without being able to really test ride amounts to a choice between carbon and Tiagra or alu and 105.

There are a couple of threads from about a year ago along these lines and I think the composite 3 edged it but I’d appreciate some experiences as I can’t think about much else and it’s stopping me getting any work done.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I have an Alu Defy and it is a comfy ride. I’ve never ridden a carbon Defy, but I imagine it will be a great ride too. Groupsets are upgradeable and Tiagra isn’t that bad.
    Personally for me, if it was just for commuting and occasional Sportive stuff go alu, if it’s for racing etc go carbon.

willstaffs
    Free Member

I had a Giant Defy 3 and now have a Defy Composite 3 with Tiagra! The composite feels nicer to ride and I would say a little lighter but I haven’t weighed either. For commuting it has to be the Alu one though as the Defy specific mudguards are fantastic, the composite has no fittings for mudguards!

Paulio
    Free Member

Thanks both. I think it’s a case of head saying alu and heart insisting on carbon, which is lovely in the flesh. But the 105 stuff is really nice!

I’ve found the Crud mudguards to work well enough otherwise that would have swung it.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I have a defy 2,

Use it as a winter bike. Its really good.

I would prefer to run bigger tyres. 23c is the biggest i can squeeze in mine.

The defy specific guards where good, but my rear gave up after a few months so I went with SKS Long Boards.

skiprat
    Free Member

I have a Defy 1 and find it spot on for what i want. Came with 25c tyres on it and there looks like roon for more (not tried).

Took a couple of rides to get things to the right height, not had a road bike for years so was a bit out on seat/bar distance but all ok now. Had no problems with any of the kit.

Easy to ride and comfy, even on Sheffield/Barnsley’s best roads!!

iainc

I have a 2012 Composite 1, which is Ultegra and I tested it back to back with the aluminium one. The carbon is lighter, tighter and more sprightly. That said, if I was after a do it all and commute bike with the choice you have I think I’d go for the alu and 105, given the ability to take mudguards and less to worry about chaining it up etc. If its not being used for commuting then I’d be going to the carbon.

jambon
    Free Member

Have you looked at the PX Pro Carbon?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The composite 3 is lovely! I’ve got one. I also ‘upgraded’ the Tiagra to 105, but to be honest, there is no noticeable difference apart from the internally routed shifting cables, in fact i’d say the Tiagra has nicer shifting quality than 105 and the shape of the lever hoods are a bit more comfy, so i’m not convinced 105 is much of an upgrade at all so I wouldn’t choose between the bikes based upon that.

Paulio
    Free Member

Good to see that everyone here is sensible and suggesting the practical alu option!

Have you looked at the PX Pro Carbon?

My employer uses the Cycle Solutions scheme (Wheelies) so I can’t get anything from Planet X, but they have a pretty big selection and the Giant bikes have 10% off too.

MoreCashThanDash

Mudguards would swing it for me if you are commuting. Will the metal one take panniers as well – if required?

freeagent
    Free Member

Interesting – I’m also planning to buy a road bike on C2W next month, and had pretty much decided on a Defy 1, mostly because I wanted the 105 groupset.
    I’m a heavy lump (around 100KG) and not sure about a carbon frame…?

I want a comfy road-bike (ie – not too stretched out) it won’t be used in the winter, so don’t need mudguards etc…

Not sure what else is about for £1k or less… I did think about a CX bike but a bit too similar to my Boardman Hybrid..

TiRed

My heart would be saying composite plus Tiagra. The Tiagra is a fine groupset. Very light shifting and better than 10spd 105.

But you are commuting and that really needs mudguards and possibly a rack. Composite doesn’t have mudguard eyelets, I believe, so…

I’d still go composite and fit SKS raceblade Longs.

Disclaimer: We have an Alloy Defy and a Defy Advanced SL. The alloy is a lovely frame. But composite is even nicer.

Don’t worry about groupsets for commuting. Even Sora is very good. Tiagra excellent. 105 less so unless you get 11 speed.

Paulio
    Free Member

Will the metal one take panniers as well – if required?

You can get a seat clamp with rack mounts for the Defy 1, the Defy 2 has rack mounts on the frame.

I’d decided on a Defy 1 until I went to Tredz (same company that runs my C2W so not taking advantage!) to figure out what size I need and saw the Composite – it is really, really nice in real life.

I don’t really need a rack as I only carry clothes in and home one journey a week and I’ve used the Crud road bike guards before, which are fine.

Whichever I get it’ll be easier doing 20 miles each way than my 9-speed, flat bar Road Rat! And I’ll be able to do rides straight from my drive again, haven’t had a road bike for a while.

TiRed

For 20 miles each way. Get the Composite and travel very light,

atlaz
    Free Member

I’d get the better groupset really. Makes a difference when you’re riding regularly

Paulio
    Free Member

Take that head! Heart wins, Composite 3 just ordered.

TiRed

Nice choice.

I’d get the better groupset really. Makes a difference when you’re riding regularly

Define “better”. Tiagra 10 speed shifts better than 105 10 speed due to the external cables. In fact I swapped Tiagra to Ultegra 6600 (also external) for a few months on the same bike and there was absolutely no difference. Both shift lighter than my Ultegra 6700. Now 11 speed 105 will shift better still because Shimano have spent a lot of time and money trying to make their internal cabling work as well as their previous external cables. By all accounts, they have reached that goal. But it took a groupset in between to get there!

Enjoy your new bike. It is an excellent ride.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I work in a Giant dealership and get this question all the time!
    Bare in mind the alloy Defy 1 and Defy 0 use a different alloy to the rest of the range.
    It is a Aluxx SL rather than Aluxx.
    The Aluxx being a reasonable comfy frame for alloy.
    Also Giant have said the Composite frame was built for a budget where the Aluxx SLwill be one of the better alloy frames available.
    Saying that Giant know their carbon and the Composite does ride lovely.
    Groupset wise functionally identical but differences are aesthetics.
    Gear cables on Tiagra run externally also where as on 105 run under the tape.
    My choice would be the Defy 1 as in practicality, mudguards etc!
    Also a slight leaning towards metal frames!
    But you pay your money and take your choice!
    Thanx,
    Max

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

You mite have to take the bottom section of the cruds to fit on a Composite.
    Fitted some the other week and the section round the rear wheel is tight.
    But once trimmed work a treat!
    Thanx,
    Max

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Giant Defy Composite 3 or Aluminium 1?’ is closed to new replies.