Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Giant are messing me around
  • seangarvey
    Free Member

Hi all
    I purchased a Giant Talon 0 29er last Friday. Picked it up from the the new Giant shop in St Paul’s and rode it home very happy
    Got home and noticed that the front Rotor was 160 instead of 180. The spec on the Giant web site states Elixer 3 180 front, 160 rear. I immediately emailed the shop through the ‘contact us’option the web site to inform them of the issue
    Phoned the shop on sat afternoon and informed them as no response from the email. Said they would look into it
    Phoned again on Monday. Response was that the spec was wrong and that it came with 160’s front and back. Although this is a minor discrepancy i feel the bike should be supplied as spec. As the shop are not being helpful and just saying ‘it is what it is’ i have now contacted Giant direct.
    Anyone had an issue like this before. Whats the best way forward. If the bike is not as per spec should i just take it back and argue out in the shop. Thanks

Lifer
    Free Member

If it was me I wouldn’t waste the energy, unless you find 160mm isn’t stopping you.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

head back and return it, but generally in these cases the phone works well and keeping onside with the people who are dealing with it. Giant will not be setup for dealing with the general public, thats why they have dealers.

bigyinn
    Free Member

“Specifications may be subject to change without notice.”

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

“Specifications may be subject to change without notice.”

This!

nigelb001
    Free Member

^^^this too!

Anyway 160 / 180 wont make much difference with Elixirs

scotroutes

If I was running that bike shop I’d just chuck on a 180mm rotor and a +20mm adapter. It would cost peanuts.

amedias
    Free Member

they’ve given you a free weight saving upgrade!

binners

Just order 2 x 205’s from superstar with adopters. Then send them the bill

Trimix
    Free Member

As said above – just get the shop to swop the rotor adn adapter. Simple and cheap.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2013.giant.talon.29er.0/11857/56880/#specifications

Every effort has been made to ensure accuracy throughout this website. However, Giant reserves the right to change bike specifications, features, prices and colours without prior notice.’

Quote taken from the bottom of the page. I’d guess that if the shop will not change it then there’s not a lot you can do.

matt1986
    Free Member

I’d use it as an excuse to change the avids to some shimano

steve_b77
    Free Member

If you’re that bothered actually take it back

Reluctant
    Free Member

I’d use the time to worry about more important things, like…..what’s for tea today? 🙂 There’s only so much time to worry and you should use it wisely.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

If that’s the worst thing you’ve got to worry about, you have a very easy life.

Was the fact it’s listed as having a 180mm front rotor a major selling factor to you?
    Would you have bought it if the spec list was showing a 160mm rotor in the first place?

*edit* No I don’t work for Giant or even a Giant dealer (although used to)

Coyote
    Free Member

Does it really matter to you? Really?

paulmgreen
    Free Member

^^^^. Are you doing downhill or something…… Do you really think it will make a difference…… Moan at them by all means…. But there’s such a small difference performance wise I’d get them to give you something else like a bag or some clothing as a goodwill…. But seriously…… There’s more to worry about fella!!

paulmgreen
    Free Member

^^^^. Are you doing downhill or something…… Do you really think it will make a difference…… Moan at them by all means…. But there’s such a small difference performance wise I’d get them to give you something else like a bag or some clothing as a goodwill…. But seriously…… There’s more to worry about fella!!

enfht
    Free Member

160 on the front will fail to handle the awesome power of 29 inch wheels and your bike may explode so be careful out there buddy!

asterix
    Free Member

like others have said:

if you are really bothered, then talk to the bike shop you bought it from. Your deal was with them the bike shop, not with Giant

patriotpro
    Free Member

Troll

FuzzyWuzzy

Just to repeat :p the specs on the web-site aren’t a binding contract and they also add the disclaimer that’s been reposted earlier. So the bike shop is perfectly correct in what they’re saying, so if it really is a big deal for you then either ask nicely if they can sort you out the 180mm as a goodwill gesture or you’re also probably entitled to still return the bike as a last resort

Flaperon

The “Specifications are subject to change without notice” comment is legally meaningless. Otherwise, they could list the details for a full sus carbon bling machine and send a £50 Halford special with that as an excuse.

Your problem is with the shop, not Giant. If you can call it a problem, that is… 🙂

edlong
    Free Member

I’m going to go against the flow and agree with the OP on this. Yes, I get that there’s a disclaimer and specs may change yadda yadda, but at the end of the day they’ve advertised one thing and handed over something inferior when he’s parted with the cash.

I also note that they didn’t inform him of this change, he had to notice it for himself. I think that’s pretty poor tbh, regardless of whether the difference is a big one.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

[However, Giant reserves the right to change bike specifications, features, prices and colours without prior notice.]

That’s a bit crap isn’t it? If you are buying a bike cos of the spec as well then I think they should have the decency to inform the customer. One would think this is what sets companies apart customer service in addtion to excellent bikes.

On the other hand the bike could easily make a customer happy and sort him out.

asterix
    Free Member

hey patriotpro – wtf?

dynamite
    Free Member

I had a simular issue with another brand of bike with regards the front mech. Was advertised on web as an X7 but came with an X5, through prinicple i complained to the shop, they agreed and after having a word with the parent company agreed to change it.
    If they hadnt i would have returned it for full refund, after all you wouldnt buy a 50inch tele from currys to then settle for the 37inch you find in the box when you get it home!

patriotpro
    Free Member

What are you what the **** about asterix?

wwaswas

he thinks you called him a troll.

asterix
    Free Member

you think I was trolling? – I wasn’t

did you think the OP was a Troll?

patriotpro
    Free Member

they didn’t inform him of this change

versus

Giant reserves the right to change bike specifications, features, prices and colours without prior notice.’

OP – just go for a ride, then to the pub. You’ll be fine.

mrmo
    Free Member

but at the end of the day they’ve advertised one thing and handed over something inferior when he’s parted with the cash.

whats inferior? if we were talking Sid XX and some cheap suntour forks you might have a point, but 20mm on the rotor…

Talk to the shop see what they can do, but really 20mm makes no difference in the REAL world!!

roverpig

Yes, I’d be annoyed if I’d bought a bike advertised as having 180/160 brakes and I found out when I got it home that it had 160/160 too and they refused to do anything about it. I’m not sure the “specs subject to change” thing really has any meaning, but if the shop want to stick to the letter of the law then I’d check to see whether I had a right to return it. If I did then they’d be getting the bike back and I’d be giving my money to somebody who actually cared enough to sort out trivial things like this.

On the other hand, if I’d got to the shop and they’d said “sorry this seems to have a 160 rotor on the front” I’d probably have told them not to worry about it. It’s not about the performance difference between a 180 and a 160 rotor, it’s about giving my money to people who give good service.

onewheelgood

160 is better – it’s lighter.

dday

I’m with the OP on this. Given the huge amount of kit out there, the OP (like me) would have spent hours agonizing over all the details in minutia, before laying down the stupid amount of $’s we pay for bikes these days. That 180 rotor becomes important. It’s all relative see.

Get it sorted, otherwise every time you look at your pride and joy, you’ll think about that rotor.

br
    Free Member

tbh The chances of any dealer actually reading a 3rd party website and then comparing specs is somewhere between slim and non-existent.

And you were very happy when you left the shop – plus if you’d bought it from anywhere else, it’d have a 160mm disc as that’s what Giant supply.

br
    Free Member

Yes, I’d be annoyed if I’d bought a bike advertised as having 180/160 brakes and I found out when I got it home that it had 160/160 too and they refused to do anything about it.

Or did he get home and then read up on the spec?

edlong
    Free Member

And you were very happy when you left the shop – plus if you’d bought it from anywhere else, it’d have a 160mm disc as that’s what Giant supply.

Yes, but the “somewhere else” might have given a different response, for example “I can see that this has disappointed you, and although the Giant specs are subject to change, I’ll get that swapped over for a 180 for you, since that’s what you were expecting, sir”

Coyote
    Free Member

What do the shop make on the bike and how much will the profit be hit by new rotor, adapter and labour costs? Rotors seem to be minimum £30 on CRC plus and adapter for £5?

edlong
    Free Member

I doubt many bike shops buy their parts from CRC @ retail price, mind. And for the LBS, there’s two important questions, not one:

1) What’s my profit on this sale?
    2) What’s my likely future profit from a happy customer, who obviously can afford to buy a decent bike in the first place, on parts, servicing, accessories, energy gels, a replacement bike in three years time….?

oh, and another:

3) What’s my potential future profit on other customers recommended by this happy customer who come to me because they’ve heard about the great service I give?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Giant are messing me around’ is closed to new replies.