Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Giant and Liv Go Direct To Consumer In UK
  • stwhannah

Following in the footsteps of Specialized, Giant and sister brand Liv have just announced that they will be offering customers a free home delivery op …

By stwhannah

Get the full story on our front page at:

Giant and Liv Go Direct To Consumer In UK

We need your support – Find out how you can help by clicking the link below.

tomhoward

Will they be shipped with an authorised dealer to assemble them?

csb

Hahaha

a11y

Chapeau

desperatebicycle

Timely news eh. Don’t think too many on here will be rushing to order.

razorrazoo

Nope, simply take delivery of the boxed bicycle and take directly to your local Giant dealer for assembly, what could be simpler, even comes with a full lifetime warranty.

xora

That is some world class trolling by Giant considering the warranty thread!

mashr

razorrazoo

Nope, simply take delivery of the boxed bicycle and take directly to your local Giant dealer for assembly, what could be simpler, even comes with a full lifetime warranty.

Note: Labour charges for assembly will apply. Includes full check of bike, but any issues will be missed anyway.

olly2097
    Free Member

Wish they’d come directly to my house and pick up my trance e. Bloody thing has died again. Trying to reject it. Not getting very far. Crap.

Rubber_Buccaneer

That is some world class trolling by Giant Hannah considering the warranty thread!

Someone spotted an opportunity to drop this and stir up some forum traffic 😀

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I presume the bike warranty is for the full lifetime of the cardboard box it is delivered in, and only if it’s left out in the rain

snotrag

This is bizarre as EBC (whom I used to work for and respect hugely) have just announced they are opening another store in Edinburgh to sell just Giant & Liv…

will they continue alongside the home delivery model, or will this be the start of a shift in the model?

Getting closer into bed with a retailer is not a move towards direct sales is it?

Odd.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/popular-edinburgh-cycle-store-opening-26019229

mashr

snotrag
    This is bizarre as EBC (whom I used to work for and respect hugely) have just announced they are opening another store in Edinburgh to sell just Giant & Liv…

Velocity 44 in Stirling have also just turned their shop into a full Giant/Liv outfit

davros

Simply wonderful timing 😂

matt_outandabout

My brain is catching up, allow me to summarise:

– Giant / Liv refuse any warranty for bikes which the owner has assembled/disassembled or even oiled the chain on.
    – Giant / Liv now expect a lot of thier bikes to be home assembled.

So, what warranty are they now offering?

razorrazoo

Given that the implication is that a dealer needs to carry out any and all work on a Giant/Liv bike in order for the warranty to apply they will need a dealer in every town and village if they wish to achieve (bicycle) world domination!

Distributed in a dual-branded Giant and Liv bike box, with instructions that take you through a simple step-by-step guide to help unbox the bike, set up the bars, fit pedals, and set saddle height, followed by some pre-ride safety tips.

Oh hang on, I see what they’ve done there, never shall a warranty be approved again!

matt_outandabout

Has anyone ( @wysiwyg ? ) Tweeted the question of home assembly vs warranty to GiantUk?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Ouch.
    I need the taps head meme. Can’t have a warranty if assembled at home

spoonmeister

I suspect they’re playing the same game as Specialized and Santa Cruz, buying up existing independent businesses to create a dealer network.

dyna-ti

Giant / Liv now expect a lot of their bikes to be home assembled.

Does it actually say that ?, or is it a case that as with the instruction/warranty, it will say something like Must be assembled by either a Giant dealership, or by a qualified mechanic, by which they’ll probably mean certified with specific or at least recognized qualification from the bike industry.

a11y

by which they’ll probably mean certified with specific or at least recognized qualification from the bike industry.

Something like Cytech, which @wysiwyg has?

I think the age-old excuse for a bike breaking of “I was just riding along” needs replaced with “I just assembled the bike myself”

Kuco

Should have this in big letters on the side of the box

‘The warranty is voided if the bike is removed from the delivery package’

LAT

this is a twist that i was not expecting

argee

So are the margins the same as shop sold bikes for Authorised Giant Dealers having the click and collect, or is this a way of reducing their cut, or avoiding it completely?

Are home delivered bikes the same, or no cut for the local independent dealer, trying to work out how they do this and big up the network of dealers.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Giant’s warranty is clearly at their whim, and not worth the paper it’s written on. They are obviously skint and trying to maximize profit whilst screwing the customer.

Unless they expect me to take my newly delivered bike to the closest giant retailer to get assembled, then going by the basis that they rejected the warranty of our fellow poster on, no giant bike will ever be covered.

It’s a shame as they do actually make nice bikes

martinhutch

A new DTS (Direct-to-Sucker) service.

13thfloormonk

have just announced they are opening another store in Edinburgh to sell just Giant & Liv…

Possibly just seizing the opportunity to (finally) buy up Cycles Williamson/Alpine Bikes now that the property has become vacant 😎

Bit of a shame as Hamilton Place used to be a great spot for some tyre kicking and coffee drinking at Ronde and Alpine, hard to get as enthused for a Giant store full of e-bikes and hybrids 🙄

iainc

^^^ the Giant/Liv announcement isn’t quite the same as Spesh tho, is it ? Seems like they are still promoting the dealers, just giving home delivery options ?

argee

^^^ the Giant/Liv announcement isn’t quite the same as Spesh tho, is it ? Seems like they are still promoting the dealers, just giving home delivery options ?

That’s why i’m wondering what the terms are for purchases via this scheme, are those dealers being given the same rates as buying the bike from the shop, or is this another squeeze on stores?

big_scot_nanny

I’m not sure I understand why this is an announcement now. When I was looking at Giant’s last year, you could go to an LBS, do click and collect from website to dealer, or get it shipped directly from Giant.

So this big announcement is that they put some more instructions in the box?

setupdevil
    Free Member

I will never say Singletrack is in the pocket of manufacturers again ,Bikeradar and associated journo’s hold my beer.

desperatebicycle

So, what warranty are they now offering?

Nothing’s changed in that respect – SFA.

chrismac

I have no problem with direct sales models. My only real gripe is how does one ever get to try before you buy. With the price of bikes continually rising I want to be able to have a decent go on one before spending a considerable sum on one. Reading a spec / geo sheet and reading some review doesn’t really cut it for me

tomhoward

I will never say Singletrack is in the pocket of manufacturers again

When did you say it before?

tpbiker
    Free Member

Direct sales models are all well and
    Good if the consumer makes a saving. When I bought a canyon in 2015 it was at least 25% cheaper than an equivalent spec bike from a shop. I’m prepared to take a slight gamble on sizing at that price

But why would I want to buy a bike at full price direct? Are giant planning to pass on the saving to the buyer? I don’t think spesh did.

kelvin

If selling direct and though dealers, then you need to sell at the same price through both channels… otherwise people will “try” at dealers but then “buy” direct.

sharkattack

There’s about as much chance of me buying a Giant as there is of them actually releasing a desirable mountain bike so it’s business as usual in my house.

mashr

as there is of them actually releasing a desirable mountain bike

just imagine you’re living 5 years in the past and they start to make more sense

Mark

I’ve added a clarification on the process that we requested from Giant in the story.

vinnyeh

I’ve added a clarification on the process that we requested from Giant in the story.

don’t suppose you took the time to clarify their warranty process while you were in contact with them, and what exactly invalidates it? which is probably of more interest to most people on here than some minor change to the ordering process which on the face of it goes against their current warranty wording.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.