Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Ghost AMR vs Giant Trance x & Introduction.
  • r300chris
    Free Member

Hi All
    I am new to the forum, so hello to all!! I got into single track MTB about two years ago, and ride mainly SE Kent and North Downs, plus a few holidays including Forest of Dean, Cannock (awsomme), and Sminley.

I bought my first full susser about a year and ahalf ago (GHOST ASX 4900) which is now for sale as im ready to upgrade.

The two bikes im looking at are the Ghost AMR (logical step up), or the Giant Trance. I like the Trek EX8 too but most of the guys I ride with have an EX and id like to have something different. Any advise is very much appretiated.

Thanks

jimjam
    Free Member

I’ve just bought myself a Ghost AMR 5900. I don’t actually want to get it muddy, but when I do (soon hopefully) I’ll let you know what I think.

I chose it because it’s a 4 bar, as all my recent bikes have been, good geometry… it’s got a nice short back end and a roomy cockpit. I’ve ditched the stock bar and stem and now it feels very purposeful.

r300chris
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply, I put a 50mm stem on my ASX, improved the handling no end. Also a set of DMR peddles as the origional ones are s**t!

jimjam
    Free Member

Just back from my initial shakedown of the new bike, very impressed. If you’re interested chris, post here and let me know and I’ll give you a more detailed breakdown.

robsoctane
    Free Member

The two bikes im looking at are the Ghost AMR (logical step up), or the Giant Trance. I like the Trek EX8 too but most of the guys I ride with have an EX and id like to have something different.

I ride a Trek EX 8 & I say follow the sheep in this situation mate, you’ll probably know they’re stunning already! Enjoy it whatever yo get though…

r300chris
    Free Member

jim jam, id be interested in how you get on with the AMR, my ASX has been great for an entry level bike. The AMR in my budget was the 2011 5700, and doesnt quite shape up spec wise to the 2012 trance X2.

I managed to get a 2012 Trance X2 at a great price, should be arriving today or tomorrow. I could only afford the Trek EX7, couldnt strech the extra £300 over the trance for the EX8, which ruled out the trek for me.

Ill keep you posted on how I get on with the X2, if it arrives today ill be taking it to Barham in SE Kent for its first ride. 🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

I’d had a brief test ride on one already so I had an idea what to expect, but first ride impressions are even better than I hoped. The bike climbs brilliantly, zero pedal bob when seated, even with pro-pedal fully open. Long front and short back end means it suits my riding style and I am always where I want to be on the bike, it’s taking very little getting used to. I threw it down some pretty rough sections and the bike felt very composed, very stable, comparable to some 160mm bikes I’ve ridden.

Front end grip was an issue with some very high pressure in the tyres and fork, hopefully I’ll sort this out in due course. I have one or two silly niggles, the stock grips are too fat, and the seat clamp is a bit cheap, but other than that it’s superb. Light, stiff, fun and composed. Can’t wait to ride it some more.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Where did you get the Trance from?

r300chris
    Free Member

Glad you like the GHOST, the grips that came with my ASX were also too fat. Must be a German thing.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Enjoy it Jimjam – update how you get on sorting that front end grip out, seems like you know what yo want from your bike.

skywalker
    Free Member

Hi All
    I am new to the forum, so hello to all!! I got into single track MTB about two years ago, and ride mainly SE Kent and North Downs, plus a few holidays including Forest of Dean, Cannock (awsomme), and Sminley.

I bought my first full susser about a year and ahalf ago (GHOST ASX 4900) which is now for sale as im ready to upgrade.

The two bikes im looking at are the Ghost AMR (logical step up), or the Giant Trance. I like the Trek EX8 too but most of the guys I ride with have an EX and id like to have something different. Any advise is very much appretiated.

Thanks

Steve Elliots mate Chris?

r300chris
    Free Member

Hi Skywalker, yes Steve’s mate Chris… You must be Paul??

Steve is sitting in my living room… he said, he heard Orange 5’s are shit… 🙂 lol

nmdbase
    Free Member

Nope, tell him EX8’s are bags of crap and he should have got a properer bike 🙂

r300chris
    Free Member

The trance should be arriving in the next half hour or so. 😀

r300chris
    Free Member

The Trance arrived today, and it looks amazing! Better in the flesh! I am slightly worried about the size though, its a M (18″). I am 171.5cm (5’7.5) high, inside leg is 80cm. The Giant size chart puts me at a M, even if I reduced my dimensions down to the next level down still M.

When I stant over the bike the top tube is nearly touching my man bits. other than that the geometry feels fine.

Any thoughts?? Im wondering if I should have gone with a small (16″), and have the oportunity to change it as the tyres have not yet touched outside.

Thanks

Bullet

Tell me you havn’t got a Caterham R300 as well – (username?)

skywalker
    Free Member

Hi Skywalker, yes Steve’s mate Chris… You must be Paul??

Steve is sitting in my living room… he said, he heard Orange 5’s are shit… lol

Hi Chris, its James.

A medium will be the right size for you I think, small has a 560mm effective top tube and would be very short indeed.

Tell Steve I said hello, and piss off 😉

r300chris
    Free Member

Cheers James, Ill send steve your regards. 🙂 Going to start a new thred about my verticaly challenged issue see what people think.

Hope to see you on ya bike soon mate

Bullet; I did have till recently. Remidial works on my house forced me to sell, it was a bloody mental car, but also a luxury I could no longer afford to keep, and mountain bikes dont find in Caterhams so well so it had to go and I kept my Octavia estate. 😀

skywalker
    Free Member

My brother had an 18″ Trance and 18″ Anthem. He is the same height and inside leg as you mate and they both fit him fine.

Bullet

Shame you had get rid of the Caterham – awesome cars. One of the few things I’d swop my scooby for apart from the obvious like Porsches etc!

Could always zip tie the bike to the rollbar I guess 🙂

nmdbase
    Free Member

This is you on the right isn’t it?

monkeychild
    Free Member

I am around your height and ride a small Trance X2 I didn’t fell right on the medium, but that’s my personal opinion.

skywalker
    Free Member

Small is 16″ – 5’3″ to 5’6″

nmdbase
    Free Member

I’ve ridden a small and it was tiny even on my short arse. Personal preference will come into it for everyone though.

blob
    Free Member

I love my 2010 amr 5900. I’m 5ft5 and the small fits just right.

I’ve replaced the stem with a 70mm one and the bike feels really solid downhill particularly on rocky stuff but can be a little slow on long climbs.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Small is 16″ – 5’3″ to 5’6″

Thems are just guidelines. I am just under 5’8″ and small is just fine and dandy for me. Apparently I should be a size up on my winter road bike (Giant Defy) but I ride a small as it’s comfier for me. Whereas on my Focus Cayo I am bang on with the size off their size chart. Just proves you need to try before you buy!

skywalker
    Free Member

Thems are just guidelines. I am just under 5’8″ and small is just fine and dandy for me. Apparently I should be a size up on my winter road bike (Giant Defy) but I ride a small as it’s comfier for me. Whereas on my Focus Cayo I am bang on with the size off their size chart. Just proves you need to try before you buy!

Depends what you are used to I suppose.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Had medium trance and anthem but a small tcr alliance

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Ghost AMR vs Giant Trance x & Introduction.’ is closed to new replies.