Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 143 total)
  • Ghetto tubeless inflator – total cost 9p!
  • sadexpunk

🙂 correct. less faffage in your garage, but more faffage whilst your riding and get a puncture 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Not really. Bung new tube in, pump up and away. Not stopping every two minutes to pump it up again cos the hole’s too big for the sealant to fill propply. 😛

sadexpunk

not very likely tho. and in the very rare occasion that may happen, just ‘bung new tube in, pump up and away’ 😀
    oh, and wait for your mate whose tube has just got another puncture 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

just ‘bung new tube in

Ah, right, ok….

😆

I is win so ner. 😛

cplater1
    Free Member

Was contemplating one of these for when I go tubeless, then I remembered, I’ve got a compressor in the garage! 🙂

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I just had an idea – anyone know where you can buy hoses that clip of screw onto scrader valves?

Car tyre + 1/4 turn valve + 2 female scraders (or 1 scrader plus one presta) and voila -instant 30-40psi reservoir and fast siphon.

RealMan
    Free Member

Anyone killed themselves/blown their face off/destroyed part of their house using this thing yet?

schmiken

Built one of these yesterday, great invention! Cost me about a fiver, aquarium tubing, plus bottle of Diet Coke. Awesome! Very nerve wracking pumping it up to 80psi, but all good so far.

P20

I’ve made one a few weeks ago, its made things much easier

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

tick – bump

duncan

Another satisfied customer of this thread here. Followed the OP’s instructions more or less exactly, used 4.7mm ID windscreen washer tubing (which I already had for bleeding brakes) which was a very tight fit but just about ok. Mole grips to hold the tube worked well. Needed 60psi in the bottle to get a slack old High Roller to inflate on a Flow, with rimstrip. Didn’t blow my face off or destroy the house, which was a bonus. Cheers!

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I’ve used mine with great success… when the valve core is removed. With the core screwed in it won’t depress to let air in and inflate the tube. This is pressures 40-80psi

Its amazing how quickly it’ll blow up a tyre though!

spooky_b329

I once saw Panda Pop bottles (the little ones) being tested at the Badger Brewery. Can’t remember the pressure, but once they get to the critical point, the side suddenly gives way and bulges out like a party balloon, before it explodes. So if you see a bulge, you have about half a second to cover your ears. If you’ve gaffer taped it, who knows 🙂

rob-jackson
    Free Member

great thread

sv

Anyone killed themselves/blown their face off/destroyed part of their house using this thing yet?

Real men wouldnt worry about such things 😉

Matt24k
    Free Member

From soggy bottle rocket experience a 2 ltr Coke bottle goes at any where between 150 and 180 psi. That’s when 30% full of water. Never had one fail at less than 140 psi.

proutster
    Free Member

Thanks to all who posted on this thread – managed to inflate an extremely stubborn Swampthing tonight using a 2 litre lemonade bottle! It had resisted all other efforts, almost used up a whole bottle of washing-up liquid the other night with no success.

Bit of a let-down though, the tubing cost me £2.49 from Halfords!

chiefgrooveguru

How many psi in the bottle did it take? Almost 80psi to get my Swampthings to seat. Ace now I know how to do it though, with the syringe to transfer sealant I can do a tubeless tyre swap in a leisurely 15 minutes (aka 5 minutes in ‘forum bike maintenance time minutes’…)

piggybladder
    Free Member

prouster – how comes I never get anything useful from Halfrauds?

dangriff
    Free Member

Diving bottle works well. I’ve got a 209 bar 3ltr bottle off a mate who bought about 4000 at auction (ex-Falklands escape breathing apparatus for the troops who were transported by ship).

209 bar is about 3030 psi, so it will inflate anything from bike tyres to a paddling pool in about 3 seconds.

proutster
    Free Member

How many psi in the bottle did it take?

Same as you – 80ish psi. Also only worked when I took the valve core out – but then it popped straight up.

How comes I never get anything useful from Halfrauds?

I’ve found that it is far better to be lucky than good looking 😀

freeagent
    Free Member

if anyone wants a cheap steel tank, try a commercial vehicle breakers. They have an endless supply of air brake tanks which can be had for a few quid.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Just inflated two 2.35 super tacky high rollers onto Mavic CrossRide wheels using a 3ltr cider bottle at 110PSI. Worked beautifully.

wool

Bump bump

ds3000
    Free Member

Note to self, don’t use that 2l tesco plastic milk carton again. 40 psi and BANG!

yetiman41
    Free Member

Having built and successfully used one last night, am now going to enter Scrapheap Challenge!
    Classic Bodge. Stan’s should post a link to this thread on their website..
    Well done whoever invented this contraption.

wenanwhere
    Free Member

These diy jobs look mint but for anyone wanting something a bit more luxury I recently splashed out (well not that much, about £70 in total ) on a second hand compressor on ebay and one of these http://www.prestaflator.com/ got to say although a complete extravagance its bloody brilliant 🙂

drookitmunter
    Free Member

Another happy customer. After having a nightmare trying to seat a non-UST Baron on Mavic 819s thought I’d give it a go.

Cannot believe how well it works. Thank you thank you thank you thank you! 😀

sbd16v
    Free Member

thought i would bump this with my effort,

1 x barb vacum fittings
    1 x foot pump
    1 x used helium bottle
    and some silicon pipe

cost £0 as had everything in the garage

works perfect

due to the high volume of the canister it takes a good few mins of pumping to get it up to 3 bar but once there its pumps the tyre with ease and i done 3 tyres (put one on the wrong way around doh lol)without anymore pumping :D:D

drookitmunter
    Free Member

That looks ace but using an appropriately sturdy container takes the fun and danger out of it!

I’m surprised nobody has come up with a cheap product that does this…

mashiehood
    Free Member

thank you very much. i used to go through CO2 but this has bodge is the work of a genius. thank you 😀

BigAirNig
    Free Member

Someone on another forum told me of this method and I put a thread on here about it ….

For tubing, I used the tube form the Stans sealant pack

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/inflating-awkward-tyres-for-tubeless-use

Slacks
    Free Member

Final gave this a go. My first attempt at tubeless. Worked first time, I think it was beginners luck.

ratherbeintobago

Going to have a bash at this as I’ve got two dud inner tubes and a pop bottle to hand.

Is it easier to drill one hole in the cap and one in the base (in which case are there any tricks for getting the valve through the bottom hole) or two holes in the cap?

Andy

mrblobby
    Free Member

I drilled two holes in the top cap. I wouldn’t drill a hole in the base as I reckon it would compromise the bottle.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I botched a version with a 1L bottle last night, took a few goes, but worked, pretty sure a 2L bottle would work a treat…

ahwiles
    Free Member

for pumping: one valve in the cap (presta)

connected to the tyre: a core-less schraeder valve in the shoulder of the bottle – it’s one of those schraeder’s that has an external thread+locknut – so i can use the locknut to secure/seal the valve.

but i honestly can’t remember how i made the hole in the shoulder of the bottle…

mrblobby – Member
    I wouldn’t drill a hole in the base as I reckon it would compromise the bottle.

i only need to pump mine to 40psi, experiments with pop-bottles in my youth revealed that they can handle at least 150psi..

ratherbeintobago

I wouldn’t drill a hole in the base as I reckon it would compromise the bottle.

Maybe; the jeans leg (and eye protection) seem sensible precautions however it’s done…

mrblobby
    Free Member

i only need to pump mine to 40psi, experiments with pop-bottles in my youth revealed that they can handle at least 150psi..

I don’t doubt this. Though if the bottle was compromised with a hole I reckon it’d split well before 150psi. Why not give it a go and post a video on here 🙂

Maybe; the jeans leg (and eye protection) seem sensible precautions however it’s done…

Wrapped mine in duck tape!

ratherbeintobago

I don’t doubt this. Though if the bottle was compromised with a hole I reckon it’d split well before 150psi. Why not give it a go and post a video on here

Ask and ye shall receive. Note valve at the bottom.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Ghetto tubeless inflator – total cost 9p!’ is closed to new replies.