• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by cjr61.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Ghetto inflater extinguisher
  • cardo

I know this has been done before but I thought I would make my own at the weekend, really pleased with it as it works a treat. anyone else made one?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Only have a coke bottle one at the moment. How do you make one of those?

endurogangster
    Free Member

I would also like a fool proof step by step guide

7600e
    Free Member

I have a space empty extinguisher. Is there a guide for making one of these?

nickjb
    Free Member
    endurogangster
    Free Member

cheers, I keep looking at that and thinking I need to get my hands on a fire extinguisher to give it a go

cardo

Its pretty easy just need to find a few bits and bobs and be reasonably handy in the shed.
    1 x C02 extinguisher (empty)
    Drill a 6 mm hole in the over pressure safety cap,
    Insert a presta valve from the inside and tighten the collar on,
    Cut off the black diffuser horn and unscrew the metal pipe/collar,
    Either use the hose off an old track pump or purchase hose and suitable end for presta valves and push into the extinguisher with the seals and collar off the metal pipe.

I must add I’m not the original inventor of this and pressurised air is pretty dangerous if it decides to leak all at once 😉

enfht
    Free Member

Well done on your invention but what’s the point? If it won’t inflate by hand then you’ll eventually find yourself up shit creak without a paddle. It’s simple, in order to achieve a tighter fit all you need is more rim tape.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I’ve got one as well. Awesome bit of kit, bought a lidl track pump for a fiver and got a free extinguisher from work, cut up a knackered tube for the valve and a bit of bodging and swearing later my tubeless woes were over!

cardo

@enfht — Its to get a tubeless tyre to seat on the rim… Once the bead is seated and has made that satisfying “bink” noise, the tyre can be pumped up with a track pump or the Ghetto extinguisher.
    I also found I was using CO2 cannisters to get the tyre seated, which isn’t great for the sealant.

Davesport

Two words….Inner Tube !

cardo

One word – Puncture

milky1980
    Free Member

I’ve made one, used it this evening actually after checking the sealant level in the rear wheel (nearly empty). Best bodge I’ve ever come across!

Need to change it’s colour really, make it look less dodgy. Thinking wire wheel to remove the paint and roughly polish it then a clear lacquer, possibly a few stickers too 8)

burko73

When I was a lot younger I bodged an old sodastream mechanism onto a car tyre foot pump hose – perfect, even enough gas for a car tyre.

bigblackshed

Need to change it’s colour really, make it look less dodgy

BEHOLD, THE FRANKENFLATOR!!!

You can also use a schrader tank valve instead of the presta valve.

cardo

like that BBS, what method did you use to paint it?

bigblackshed

Grey primer, spray it gold, masked with auto pin striping tape in 6mm and 12mm widths, spray in black, remove the tape, spray with clear hard lacquer.

Left it to dry for a couple of days between each stage.

cjr61

Weekend project for me then!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Ghetto inflater extinguisher’ is closed to new replies.