Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Ghetto crown race installation?
  • frank4short
    Free Member

As per the thread title really. Got a new set of forks here i'm itching to get on my bike. Don't want to make a haims of it so looking for ghetto suggestions on crown race installation?

mboy
    Free Member

Pop the crown race on the fork, put the fork on the bike, tighten up the headset VERY slowly and carefully.

Has always worked for me! Pulls the crown race down smoothly and evenly, and doesn't put that much force through the headset bearings (certainly a lot less than they're going to see when being ridden down bumpy offroad trails with a fully grown man aboard), and it doesn't apply any shock forces.

The notion of a "crown race seating tool" seems very redundant to me, as the star fangled nut combined with the headset cap and bolt provide an excellent method for seating the crown race!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

just cut a slot with a hacksaw, or if you have a crudguard, the bracket is perfect to set a crown race with help of a mallet

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    taka
    Free Member

pice of pipe or i use a vice and knock it down

frank4short
    Free Member

Done thanks to a helpful video on youtube. Cheers for the suggestions anyway.

mildred

Is "Ghetto" now used to mean DIY?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

i think its used to mean "i can't afford tools or the proper kit so i will ask and try to make myself seem edgy and cool"

yunki
    Free Member

I like the term… and use the wooden handle of a small hammer to seat my crown races.. works every time

ahwiles
    Free Member

i use a piece of vacuum cleaner pipe – from my Henry to be precise.

works very well.

Wally

White plastic kitchem/bathroom plumbing waste pipe – the perfect fit and cheap as chips from BnQ. Used mine for many races – still OK.

igm

32mm plastic waste pipe for setting crown races.

Not edgy or cool as it's far too easy.

Wally

There you go – It is a well known very effective DIY solution.
    Screwdriver can easily scratch races – this plastic pipe method is as igm puts it "too easy"

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

just cut a slot with a hacksaw

Yep, thats the one…no fannying about putting them on or taking them off. Point the cut forwards for less chance of crap getting in..easy!

epicyclo

You can put the crown race on the ring of the stove and get it nice and hot. It will expand enough to go on with minimal force.

Naturally a real man picks it up with his bare hands, but us mincers use a pair of pliers.

I now use the hacksaw method 🙂

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

cut a slot with a hacksaw

Only if it's a sealed bearing headset, NOT if it's a loose or caged ball bearing headset

scaredypants

mildred – Member
    Is "Ghetto" now used to mean DIY?

no 🙄 , you have to get a felt tip and write graffiti on the bit of pipe – innit, blud ?!

soobalias
    Free Member

placcy mallet – bosh!

Coyote
    Free Member

Rubber mallet+bit of wood=sorted.

wwaswas

You can put the crown race on the ring of the stove

My cane creek ones have a rubber seal moulded onto them.

Jamie
    Free Member

I get a man in 😉

scaredypants

Jamie, you won't need a man in if you have your own length of 32mm piping

Jamie
    Free Member

😯

scaredypants

😉

james-o
    Free Member

take an old headset lower cup, remove all parts leaving just the alu cup. invert -ie place part that goes into headtube over crown- and use wider part to drift the race on with a small hammer. one tap one side, another on the other, works fine.

use an old knife blade and same hammer to ease race off again.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Only if it's a sealed bearing headset, NOT if it's a loose or caged ball bearing headset

Of course! Does anyone still use un-sealed headsets anymore…does anyone even sell them anymore!?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Ghetto crown race installation?’ is closed to new replies.