• This topic has 30 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • GF's New Bike Pics… (warning 29er content!)
  • mboy
    Free Member

Just finished building this for the GF…

She insisted on all the purple, to which I was a bit put off at first, but actually now think it doesn’t look too bad. She’s specced most of it herself too, after having spent a bit of time on my Kinesis Sync 29er which was a little too big for her (so she went for the small FF29). The saddle is a stop gap from my spares (soon to be replaced with a Fizik), but otherwise it’s ready to roll as soon as she’s healed again (in sling after collarbone plate removal).

matthew_h
    Free Member

I like that. If it was mine though, I’d be removing the decals from the rims as they clash with the purple. Other than that, it looks sweet

maximusmountain
    Free Member

I think you need some purple crest stickers to finish it all off 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mboy
    Free Member

I like that. If it was mine though, I’d be removing the decals from the rims as they clash with the purple. Other than that, it looks sweet

Oh yes, she’s already pointed that one out!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No pics of the GF?

😉

matthew_h
    Free Member

Good good

deluded
    Free Member

That’s a decent build – good work.

postierich
    Free Member

What CFH says 🙂

JoeG
    Free Member

Needs a dropper! 😉

Alex

Needs one of those if you want a purple saddle. Looks pink, defo more purple when you get it. I have on on my youngest daughter’s bike.

Nice build that. Looks right, although it’s taking me a while to get my head around the shape of that down tube!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

JoeG, how do you know that? We haven’t seen her yet!

😉

mboy
    Free Member

Needs a dropper!

Had a spare Reverb kicking about in the shop. She wouldn’t have it! Didn’t want one for some reason… Hey ho!

Needs one of those if you want a purple saddle. Looks pink, defo more purple when you get it. I have on on my youngest daughter’s bike.

No white allowed she’d say! Besides, doesn’t look as purple as the purple Hope on there now.

Her current saddle of choice is a Fizik Vitesse, and I’ve just realised that Fizik demo saddles are all purple now. I just need to find a shop with a Vitesse demo saddle they’re willing to part with now!

Nice build that. Looks right, although it’s taking me a while to get my head around the shape of that down tube!

The down tube is very purposeful. Designed like it is to give clearance for fork adjusters.

Speshpaul

Thats Lush that is.
    If she find the slides a little harsh the compression can be tuned easily and cheaply, Jtech did mine for not much at all.

mboy
    Free Member

If she find the slides a little harsh the compression can be tuned easily and cheaply, Jtech did mine for not much at all.

Been running one myself for a couple of months now, and initially found it a bit harsh but they’re starting to bed in nicely. Spent most of the Wentwood 50 the other weekend riding with Simon from LoCo Tuning though, who told me they’re a really good fork that really benefits from an early oil change as the stock oil isn’t the best quality.

GF is 3 stone lighter than me though, might look to do it sooner than later.

rickon
    Free Member

That’s lovely. Tastefully pimped. Purple saddle would be going too far for mW now, but I have built some hoffic bikes in the past 😉

JoeG
    Free Member

Had a spare Reverb kicking about in the shop. She wouldn’t have it! Didn’t want one for some reason… Hey ho!

Don’t worry. Later on when she figures out that she really needs a dropper, she will blame you for not putting one on for the initial build! 😉

Speshpaul

What size is that, mine was a large and with hindsight i would have gone for a med, i found the top tube too high. On this one it looks spot on.

thepurist

Wot no….

Houns

All stans rims should have decals removed

Other than that, nice

GolfChick
    Free Member

Buy purple decals from slik graphics for the rims, you have to message them now as not shown on website. Apart from that I love it!

Rorschach
    Free Member

I thought you were………………….you know….650b.

mboy
    Free Member

I thought you were………………….you know….650b.

Shhhhh, don’t tell the GF!!! 😉

Wot no….

Think some of those and some purple headset spacers will be next.

Buy purple decals from slik graphics for the rims, you have to message them now as not shown on website. Apart from that I love it!

Cheers, will let her know about this.

Don’t worry. Later on when she figures out that she really needs a dropper, she will blame you for not putting one on for the initial build!

I offered to buy her one for Christmas to go on her last bike. Wouldn’t have it! She says a dropper post is cheating… 😕 No reasoning with some eh!

mboy
    Free Member

What size is that, mine was a large and with hindsight i would have gone for a med, i found the top tube too high. On this one it looks spot on.

This is a small. Seat tube is a tiny 15.5″, yet effective TT length is 23″.
    At 5ft8 with longish legs, she’ll need almost all of that 410mm Thomson! I’m 5ft10 and on a medium Sync (almost identical geo to the FF29) and with the 17.5″ seat tube and curved top tube, standover clearance can be tight for those short in the leg.

MartynS

What are the grips??
    I can see they’re odi end caps, what’s the model???

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Less is more, chaps…and on that note, the Stans rim stickers will peel right off.

solarider
    Free Member

When 29ers were first introduced, they were aimed at taller riders. I think that the wheel size vs height debate has been lost somehow. For me, small bikes should still be 26. Medium bikes should be 650. Large bikes should be 29. Somehow, those proportions work better, at least visually, and there is something about weight distribution and chuckability being more appropriate to rider size. Lovely build, but I can’t help thinking it might be more manageable riding 650 or smaller for her size.

thepurist

MartynS – the grips look like ODI X Trainers.

OrangeLad
    Free Member

It wouldn’t be STW without the obligatory, Wheels aren’t at the same point of rotation and the path could do with a tidy.

Other than that looks a pretty damn sweet bike to me better not show it my missus else she’ll get ideas.

oxym0r0n

Nice – as said before: purple crest stickers (I have blue ones – v good quality from slik.. And a charge ladle saddle 😉

rewski
    Free Member

Very nice, nearly bought one in black literally days before the Dom posted the Sync proto pics, it was no contest after that. I hope she enjoys every minute of it. 😀

mboy
    Free Member

Grips are indeed ODI X-Trainers, and fortunately the purple doesn’t clash with the Hope!

Lovely build, but I can’t help thinking it might be more manageable riding 650 or smaller for her size.

Was waiting for the wheel size debate to appear! 😐

She’s spent the last year or so riding a 26″ bike, had a few rides on my 29er and felt immediately more comfortable. I suggested she might want to try a 650b bike, but she wasn’t interested and wanted to go for a 29er. This one only looks out of proportion because of the 15.5″ seat tube, it’s actually got a longer TT than her outgoing 17.5″ frame!

Very nice, nearly bought one in black literally days before the Dom posted the Sync proto pics, it was no contest after that. I hope she enjoys every minute of it.

Hehe, I know how you feel there too! I was not far off buying an FF29 last year, glad I waited though as this is mine…

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘GF's New Bike Pics… (warning 29er content!)’ is closed to new replies.