Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Getting to Bourg St Maurice
  • Andy-W
    Free Member

The train looks ideal in getting to Bourg but is there any pros and cons of using the train , cost of taking a bike or bike box that sort of thing ?

I don’t need a car while there so that’s whey the train is looking good

Any top tips on a Bike friendly place to stop at for two to three days maybe more

And the website to look on for booking the train is

Cheers

Andy

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve taken the train snowboarding, it was ok. The main problem was that we travelled through the night, so we were knackered on the first day. The good news is that to go by plane you would have been travelling that day anyway- so it’s an extra day!!

honourablegeorge

Bike friendly – The Loft

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’ve gone by train and flown to Geneva with transfers on and driven.

There is no Eurostar to Borg in the summer ( or there didn’t used to be) it goes to Avingnon and you change there for Borg it’s expensive but quite fast and you can overnight which is good.

I don’t trust baggage people on planes and it’s pricey and with transfers still takes the best part of a day.

I have found that driving overnight in a group of 3/4 is the cheapest & best way. There’s lot of places to stay depends on if you plan to ride off map or off piste. My advice is book The White Room or some such and get a guide as the riding will be so much better. They just know all the best trails and current conditions.

tonyd

I was going to say Eurostar as I’ve used that in the winter, didn’t realise it might not run in the summer. Trains are on the whole very good though so no reason not to use them.

Shermer, you probably went on the snow train? Overnight with couchettes and a drinks/disco carriage? If you’re anything like we used to be you were tired because you didn’t stumble to bed until about 5 minutes before arriving at Bourg 🙂

phil.w
    Free Member

It’s correct, no direct train after April. You can get the train London – Paris then Paris – BSM, be aware that this means crossing from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon.

It’s a much easier trip than flying to Geneva and paying for a taxi/bus.

Shergie
    Free Member

Im heading down this summer, by far the best spot is a place called Bikevillage just outside Borg in a little place called Landry. And yes im probablly a little bias, I used to work there, but it really is that good…

Im pedalling down, leaving about the 20th of July to arrive on the 3rd of August, a combination of Bivi and Campsite should see me through, obviously with a sutable quantity of cheese and wine. Give me a shout if you fancy it – the more the merrier and all that.

Im booked on a combination of trains to come back, its going to take most of a day to get back to blighty but the train has come it at about 80 euro all in – you do need to be careful that the train can acccept bikes and it needs to be in a bag.

As i say drop me and email if you want more details and ill dig out the research that i did on trains etc.

ocrider

You can get the train London – Paris then Paris – BSM, be aware that this means crossing from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon.

Via Lille is more expensive, but at least you only need to haul the bike from one platform to another.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The French trains are great but changing trains with all your kit and a bike is a ball ache. I am sure i read somewhere that the tgv now no longer takes bike bags as they are too big for luggage racks

joolsburger
    Free Member

Where-ever you end up make sure you have a meal in the L’ancolie restaurant in Peisey Nancroix it’s the nuts..

BrianSavage

I have made the trip to Geneva a good few times with no problem. However it is not TGV that no longer take bikebags but Eurostar. So unless you pay £60 for them to transport your bike on any random train at some time during the day you are stuffed and on this basis you would not be able to make a connection in Paris.

Andy-W
    Free Member

Cheers for the info guys, the places to stay look good 🙂

I should have said I will be taking the road bike to ride up the some big hills (mtb if rain stops play I guess)

Been skiing loads out there and always flown and have also driven out to the Alps but never with a bike, so just for a few days the train was looking a good option ,more so when the rides we want to do are starting from Bourg

Only two of us going so the driving could work out a bit more expensive

but no bikes on the train is not looking good

ransos
    Free Member

It’s correct, no direct train after April. You can get the train London – Paris then Paris – BSM, be aware that this means crossing from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon.

We did this for a skiing trip – it was a bit of a PITA with all the gear.

allthepies
    Free Member

I also have heard horror stories of people doing the metro trip through Paris with bikes/kit and full height barriers.

phil.w
    Free Member

Should of added ‘use a taxi‘ to my post 🙂

Milkie
    Free Member

You can always use this company:

http://www.deliveriestothealps.co.uk/

Who will deliver your bike and luggage to your chalet and collect too! Pretty good rates too!

Would save you a lot of ball ache with carry bikes and things on trains. 😉

Andy-W
    Free Member

thanks again chaps , been in touch with the deliveriestothealps people and that could be the way to go

mikewsmith
    Free Member

However it is not TGV that no longer take bikebags but Eurostar. So unless you pay £60 for them to transport your bike on any random train at some time during the day you are stuffed and on this basis you would not be able to make a connection in Paris.

I have considered it 4/5 times but this part is the killer. The T&C state that you can’t guarantee to take oversized luggage on the Eurostar and it will be added whenever. Due to the journey time on the other side it makes it very tight to do London to the Alps without an overnight.

Price wise it was equivalent to flying.

Andy-W
    Free Member

I have not tried to work out the cost of driving with fuel/tunnel and toll charges, but having driven to the Alps about ten years ago I know it wont be cheap

the car option would be simple as far as loading up the gear and driving off but its the drive home that’s the nightmare

last time my back went in Monte Carlo which was not ideal !

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Worked it out last time I went (2011) it was about £230 for the French side driving including tolls. Did it in 1 long day after getting the early morning tunnel. That was based on 50mpg in a diesel car, cruising on the autoroute we were nearer 60mpg most of the way. Tunnel was on top of that.
    http://en.mappy.com/ Still does a proper planner with toll costs & fuel costs etc.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Getting to Bourg St Maurice’ is closed to new replies.