Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • getting those headset cup off
  • Slogo
    Free Member

trying to get my old headset cups out of my frame tried using a screwdriver and hammer but dont realy want to damage it. i want to put my new hope one in there before it goes dark!

so what do i do?

walla24
    Free Member

keep going…be patient work your way around the cup using flat head and rubber mallet.

or go to ur LBS?

Slogo
    Free Member

cheers I'm just to inpatient.

0091paddy
    Free Member

Piece of wood and a mallet. Easily done, the wood won't damage anything either.

smiffy

piece of wood for me 1/2"x1/2"x8" (kindling wood).

chainslapp
    Free Member

Are you placing the screwdriver inside the frame?

Slogo
    Free Member

tapping the top of the cup, screwdriver inside the head tub.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

is the frame well held? otherwise for every strike you shift the whole thing and not just the cup.

Bigger Hammer? 😉

chainslapp
    Free Member

Spot on as said by walla 24 keep working your way around a be patient. It will eventually give up.

aracer
    Free Member

Jammy111
    Free Member

I made some tools that i was selling on here for cost price (before mods locked the thread with no real explanation or reply to emails grrr) they work a treat for removing and installing cups. Maybe you could have a go at making some yourself. I can give you the details if you like. Pm me if you do…

pictures are in the thread: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-home-made-headset-press-and-headset-removal-tool-8-for-both

James

alpin
    Free Member

find a metal pipe that'll fit through the headset cup. cut it longways twice and flare out the ends. pull through from opposite direction and then knock.

Edit: as above.

aracer
    Free Member

Exactly what my pic shows – is a ti tube from a broken frame (though I made 3 cuts).

tails
    Free Member

Or just buy the correct tool from ebay for a tenner.

tails
    Free Member

doublepost

Slogo
    Free Member

thanks for all your help guys!

Slogo
    Free Member

thanks for all your help guys!

Mugboo

Got a remover in Bradford if that helps?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘getting those headset cup off’ is closed to new replies.