Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Getting the smell of diesel out oof the sleeve of a jacket
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have a nice jacket, like a Barbour style but not actually waxed, which I managed to spill diesel all over the lower sleeve and wrist. It is still a nice jacket but now can’t come if the house because it stinks of diesel. It has been hosed off water fromt he garden tap and hung outside, well in the garage, for a couple of nights but still stinks.

Any good ideas how to get the smell out without ruining the jacket/washing machine/marriage?

Cougar

Dry cleaners?

jam-bo

petrol?

scotroutes

Have you considered a gilet?

kayak23

Fire

tthew

Just sloshing a bit of water on it won’t have much effect. Hand wash the sleeve, (or don’t go half measures, just do the whole jacket) properly in decent washing detergent. If necessary stick it through the washing machine once you’ve got the worst of it out.

duncancallum

Brake cleaner

Universal cleaner in the motor trade.

Hands, clothes, paint work , trim anything really try that! Then look at things like white vinegar

leffeboy

petrol?

Funnily enough that is really a thing.  I only discovered it when looking for a replacement for white gas for my stove:

https://www.dema.be/produits-chimiques/19277-essence-de-nettoyage-1l.html

thols2

You’ll need a solvent to get the diesel out. Take it to the dry cleaners. They use solvents for cleaning, just not water.

tillydog
    Free Member

Assuming that the diesel has “dried” now: Enzyme based pet odour eliminator.

Used to use it on the boat to get rid of the stink of diesel after maintenance / mishaps.

nwgiles

rub the other arm in fox poo?

thepurist

Tried Putoline?

mattsccm
    Free Member

I just sling stuff like that in the washing machine. Works well.

muddyjames
    Free Member

Take care putting in the washing machine. Risks spreading the smell to other clothes.
    <span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>
    I picked up a bowser hose once that I didn’t realise was had a residue in and it deposited a load of green diesel all over a pair of jeans. Washed them several times but no change. In the end I left the jeans out on a  balcony for a month or so and the odour eventually went. </span>

jonba
    Free Member

Water as hot as you dare without damaging the jacket.

Along with lots of soap. Washing up liquid would be good, neat.

timber

I don’t know if my work stuff stops smelling of diesel or if I just stop smelling diesel 😄

Just gets chucked in the wash at some point.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Generous amounts of IPA (solvent, not beer).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.