Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Getting the Robin to stay
  • cfinnimore
    Free Member

Mr Robin’s back in the garden for a second year, pottering about looking for things to eat.

It’s a pretty competitive bird food area with endless gardens & feeding stations to choose from.

Any tips to keep him coming back?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

nails? glue on the bird table? let them roam free!

jota180
    Free Member

Robins mainly eat insects etc. rather than seeds and the like, try putting out meal worms

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Turn the soil regularly and let him have at the worms…if you’re not much of a gardener then they buy some dried mealworms from the garden centre / DIY shed.

Cougar

Bat-signal?

wwaswas

Our Robins love the bird feeder with fatty balls in it.

They had 3 chicks lined up a branch next to it and were demonstrating how to use it at one point.

footflaps

Just saw a Robin in the garden this morning!

unklehomered
    Free Member

activity, they aren’t stupid, they know humans digging means accessible food.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Gardening as above, our robin follows me up and down with the mower.

fasthaggis

My mum informs me that they like Mealworms .

Northwind

Ours come for the fat balls but stay for the atmosphere

Freester

Mealworms. They really like the live ones. My mum regularly trains the Robins to eat off her hand.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/bRkhyt]Untitled[/url] by Freester, on Flickr

digga
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    Gardening as above, our robin follows me up and down with the mower.

We had one last year that did this. While I was mowing ‘down’ the lawn, he’d be on the adjacent ‘up’ bit I’d just mown, looking for worms and stuff. If I stopped the mower, he’d stare at me intently, as if to say “get back to work!”

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I’m off digging then. And fat balls. And things.

Getting obsessed cause he was back again this morning. We have a lot of bark which hides slimy things I suppose.

Also, magpies like YumYums.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Spot the Robin.

Had a couple Tits for the first time this year.

“Birdtrackworld”.

bruneep

Freester you’re younger than I thought you would be. You have playgroup today?

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

We have two or three every year, as above I usually have one that appears as soon as I start the lawnmower up. Our robins usually spend most of their time on the sunflower heart feeder we have, usually to the goldfinches dismay.

Not sure if it’s just us but our feeders have been dead this past couple of months. Earlier in the year I was having to refill them every other day but it’s once every few weeks at the moment. Can’t help but feel it’s something I’ve said?

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Competition.

Couple racing pigeon coops around, that’s the a grade feed it appears.

Scapegoat

Native Robins don’t migrate, they moult during the summer and tend to hide away, so you don’t need to attract him back, he hasn’t actually been anywhere. Fiercely territorial, they defend their territory to the death. Keep him happy and fed with mealworms, they are a gardener’s delight and one of the tamest birds going.

You sometimes see migrating foreign visitors, but they are often paler than the locals, and nowhere near as tame.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Getting the Robin to stay’ is closed to new replies.