Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Getting the most out of my *New* Nexus 4 phone??
  • mogrim

has anyone bothered rooting it?

Why would you bother? I’m planning on rooting my Sony Xperia, but that’s because Orange has helpfully preloaded it with a load of crappy apps that I neither want nor need. I never bothered with my old Nexus One.

andytherocketeer

untappd – handy if you like beer, and like getting cheeves for drinking it.
    (also ratemybeer and the other beer app whose name I forget)

ohnohesback
    Free Member

This far in and no mention of TOR, Orweb, and the other privacy apps from the Guardian Project, all available on Google Play. As well as the Firefox browser. And if you can ‘update’ to JB 4.3 you can download App Ops Starter, that gives you greater control over what personal information the apps you’ve downloaded are able to access.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    StephenCairns
    Free Member

Flipboard is really good, you can effectively create your own magazine with pretty much any content you want. Also get Pocket for off line reading, Flipboard integrates with it so a good pair of apps if you spend significant time on trains etc.

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

BBC Weather – It’s functional, accurate and well designed.

Dashclock and the battery extension – A great widget that puts a lot of information in front of your face as quickly as possible.

Dots – Good game that actually takes a little brain power to get good at.

Snapseed – If you want some more photo editing options over the stock camera.

Google Keep is basically perfect for notes/reminders unless you’re planning on making hundreds.

Nerdy Stuff
    Light Flow Lite – Allows you to set custom patterns and colours for the notification LED so you can tell whether it’s worth turning the screen on or not (e.g. I have it flash green rapidly for SMS and missed calls, but slowly and in yellow if it’s just an email.)

TASKER – My favourite app. A little bit of work makes your phone a lot smarter. For example, automatically turning sound and wifi on when I get home, silent mode at college. Also, it can be used to change the UI; I’ve got it leaving a permanent link to voice actions in the notification bar. 7-day trial if you go to their website.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Lol @ shonky launchers

Nova is pretty good. Action launcher pro is also decent. Halo on paranoid android is interesting.

Getesome weather apps. Skype. SoundCloud and or mix cloud. Mapmyride. Terratime. Oh man just get busy using it. Then when you are bored with stock rom play with some custom roms. Then go back to stock. It’s that faff able. Then get hyped up when 4.4 kit kat comes out in Oct.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Oh and SwiftKey is better than swype.

skids
    Free Member

I had a nexus 4 and coincidentally use £12 goodybag too. I smashed the back pretty easy, so a case of some sort can’t hurt and I find it makes it easier to hold as it’s kind of thin.

Jolsa

thegiantbiker

Nerdy Stuff
    Light Flow Lite – Allows you to set custom patterns and colours for the notification LED so you can tell whether it’s worth turning the screen on or not (e.g. I have it flash green rapidly for SMS and missed calls, but slowly and in yellow if it’s just an email.)

TASKER – My favourite app. A little bit of work makes your phone a lot smarter. For example, automatically turning sound and wifi on when I get home, silent mode at college. Also, it can be used to change the UI; I’ve got it leaving a permanent link to voice actions in the notification bar. 7-day trial if you go to their website.

Good suggestions – thanks.

As mentioned already, a switch/toggle widget is very useful – I have been using SwitchPro for a couple of years and it’s been great (very customisable). However on Android 4.3 the GPS toggle has stopped working for me.

Can anyone recommend a decent alternative?

Business Calendar is good – I like the monthly view widget that fills one of my home screens. Syncs with all my different Google Calendars.

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

Oh, and Apex launcher is pretty good as well. Not noticed any real lag, and it gives you the option to make some decent tweaks to the ui like extended an dock and reassigning the home button.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

TASKER – My favourite app. A little bit of work makes your phone a lot smarter. For example, automatically turning sound and wifi on when I get home, silent mode at college.

I thought that was what NFC tags were good for? (caveat: I’m a dabbler)

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

NFC would work at home, but unless I deposited them around college and any other place I might go they don’t seem that useful. Tasker doesn’t seem to do any damage to the battery life checking GPS, so I don’t worry about it. However, if I get some NFC tags in the future and find them super-magical, I will totally redact that.

I guess they’d be quite useful if you work random shifts, as you can get your phone to set to silent when it’s set down on your dresser, whereas with Tasker you’d have to set it to change at a particular time. I guess if you want to change stuff at a whim, NFC is the one to go for, but if you want your phone to do everything itself, then use Tasker.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I thought the whole reason for buying it was no need to root, unlock etc. Not sure I fully understand, but I assumed it was reasonably clean of bloatware?.

kimbers

It is banana people just like messing around with it because they can

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Don’t NFC tags only work if you are essentially in contact with them, with your phone. So not good for just “I’m home” stuff if you have to get your phone out of your pocket anyway…

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Oh, and if you want some sort of advanced pedometer Moves looks interesting, only out for android a couple of days though.

allthepies
    Free Member

Yup, they reply on very close contact between the phone and tag so good for some things but not so good for detecting when you’re at college etc. Tasker can do this as you can set actions to trigger when the phone picks up a certain list of cell tower id’s or by using GPS. I use the cell ids as it doesn’t use additional power (like turning on GPS would do).

spooky_b329

I use Powertoggles as a toggle widget, and my main page has a 4×2 widget Yahoo Weather. It drags images off a Flickr group to match your location and the weather, I don’t know if its just the screen but most photos look amazing when you go full screen and scroll through the weather.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

To the TomTom owners – you know you can store google maps offline incase you drop out of range? I think it’s something like typing “go maps” in the search bar.

edit: type “ok maps”

allthepies
    Free Member

I use the stock android toggle widget thing, seems OK.

JohnnyPanic

Anyone have any experience with AirDroid ?

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Opt in to Google Now and get local real-time info, weather travel etc.
    My staple Aps are:
    Dropbox, Evernote, Flipboard, Pocket, Firefox, Tune In Radio,BeyondPod, Viber,WhatsApp, Swype, Banking app.

daveh
    Free Member

Loving Tasker! I’m not one for toggling stuff on and off so I’ve always just left WiFi and Bluetooth switched on, obviously bad for battery life. Bluetooth is now only on during times of weekday commute (and all daytime at weekend). I’ve set WiFi and silent mode similarly to suit times when I use the phone. Should be good for battery life. And that stuff is just the tip of Tasker’s capabilities!

neninja
    Free Member

The Acase Superleggera Pro hybrid case is awesome. Inner silicon cover with a second hardshell that clips over it.

They’ve doubled in price since I got mine but it fits superbly, makes the buttons easier to operate and provides great protection. I’ve dropped my phone a few times and it’s landed face down, on a corner etc and the case has done it’s job.

mogrim

Opt in to Google Now and get local real-time info, weather travel etc.

Scarily good service, but it hammers your battery.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Getting the most out of my *New* Nexus 4 phone??’ is closed to new replies.