getting the kids a tablet – good idea ?

Home Forum Chat Forum getting the kids a tablet – good idea ?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • getting the kids a tablet – good idea ?
  • peterich

Hi just wanting a bit of the hive mind experience
    My 7 year old girl is mentioning she might like a tablet computer from father Christmas this year
    Have many of you guys got one for your little ones if so which one do you think is best – I don’t really fancy one of the leapfrog kind as think she’s a little old and I recon they will charge for apps etc
    Looking around £100 mark and would be nice if I was able to use it to
    I’m a bit worried about her turning into a kid who never looks up from a screen as she’s not like this now
    Thanks for your thoughts in advance

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

I gave my 6yr old son my cheap chinese android 7″ tablet last xmas.

I load it with games etc and updates then disable the wifi again. Every few weeks I put some more games activities (free to play, no inplay charges) etc on it.

He takes it if we’re going somewhere where there will be some tedious waiting etc. He only plays it in the house occasionally.

Its been good to get him used to navigating a touch based OS. Im also preparing one of my old netbooks for hime with a basic linux build for this christmas so he has his something to learn how to use keboard/mouse/trackpad etc. And so he can play BBC CBBC games etc.

sbd16v

my 3 and 4 year olds both have tablets, they had nabi’s but after countless problems I returned them and got hudl’s which im very impressed with.

don’t be worried about turning them square eyed just put limits on use and ensure they do other stuff both my boys spend time on there tablets but also love playing with all there toys and in the garden etc

sbd16v

oh for info there is an app called APPLOCK which imo is the best thing you can download

it allows you to lock the tablet down and only allow apps that you allow to be accessed (it will also allow you to lock settings etc)

you need to put a pin code in to get into settings or anything else you lock

if you lock the play store then any in app buying cannot happen :D:D

also there is a brower called maxtron, this app lets you program web pages in as an access allowed not denied if you get me so that can only go on websites you program in.

loddrik

Both my daughters birthdays in just over a week, they’ll be 4 & 8, and we’ve just got them ipad minis. I wasn’t altogether comfortable with the cost but we are all so invested in ios that it just seemed like the only logical thing. They both had ipod touch’s so it’s just like a bigger version of the same thing plus I sold the iPods to put towards the cost of the iPads. They don’t know this which is why they had the house turned upside down looking for them. They blame me for losing them but I think I’ll be forgiven when they open their presents.

They’re a great thing for kids to have nowadays and they’ve got loads of educational stuff on my ipad , which I’ll soon be able to use myself!!

Tbf they’re not on it all the time and being girls they’re just if not more happy role playing or drawing as being on the ipad.

Btw, tescos are doing 1st gen ipad minis for £229 which seemed a pretty good deal.

rob2

My children 3+5 use my iPad mini. They use it for reading books and the writing apps plus a few games.

If they were on it all the time I’d be worried but they aren’t. They like playing role play games or just messing about mostly.

Although my 3yr old son likes playing with pretend swords and shouting “I’m going to kill you” which has me a bit worried!

Premier Icon stumpyjon
    Subscriber

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 inch at Asda for £99 at the moment and Argos are doing them for £109 plus £20 of vouchers. I wasn’t over happy either but that’s what my kids wanted (5 & 9).

ask1974

My two (5&7) have had an old iPad1 for a couple of years and love it. Books, games, puzzles,drawing etc… As I have my own iPad their’s only has Apps we’re happy with and nothing else.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

Depends if you want to see less of them…my two have to be dragged off their Nexus 7s. And beware the cricked neck from staring at the thing from a funny angle all the time.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

Depends if you want to see less of them…my two have to be dragged off their Nexus 7s. And beware the cricked neck from staring at the thing from a funny angle all the time.

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

Sign of the times. I’m wondering whether I should upgrade my iPad1 and I’m 50 ! My kids are in their 20’s now, they didn’t have laptops till they where teenagers but times change. I have to say kids having devices costs £100’s at 5 seems indulgent but each parent has the right to make their own choices.

messiah

My two have iPads. At 6 & 8 they are great for many things… favourite is minecraft but the 8 year old is quite boffin/geek so he loves science stuff. The iPad’s are easy to set up with parental controls and the way they are set up at the moment they need permission from us to change almost everything. Both are currently tethered to the same account so updates and aps on one go on the other – which is good as both boys like being the same. The apple shop set ours up when we bought them and installed the child safe/friendly k-nine browser which seems good.

K-9 Web Protection

My boys don’t tend to OD on the ipad’s. It’s just another toy/tool to them and they often use the iPad’s to look at stuff for drawing or other play ideas… I’m really impressed with how they use them and what they can do with them.

I know cheaper options are available but my wife had an iPad already and not having to learn our way around another device and OS appealed more than any cost saving.

Both were bought as presents with an understanding from the boys that they will not be replaced if broken. I thought them a better “large” single toy/investment rather than buying other toys which all end up broken and in the bin. They get enough toys like that from other family members so we tend to buy the bigger things – I.e. both boys want/need their rooms redone as they are a bit babyish at the moment, and we are talking to them about making that the big Chrismas presents this year.

s1m0n

Got Hudls for my boys (9 and 6) for Xmas (both effectively free using clubcard points). They play on the ipad and an old iphone all the time as it is (Minecraft mainly. Just find you need to limit how much they play. If left unsupervised they would play on them for hours, but at the same time its not as if they aren’t out about playing football/riding bikes loads as well.

popstar

My 1st child started to play youtube and games when he was 18months or so (he is allmost 3 now), it looks like my 2nd (6months old) as well takes a fancy. We now have 2 Ipads.

Me and wife ended up with Iphones for browsing. Getting more Ipads would be silly.

freddyg

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 inch at Asda for £99 at the moment and Argos are doing them for £109 plus £20 of vouchers. I wasn’t over happy either but that’s what my kids wanted (5 & 9).

I bought two of these for my kids last Christmas (aged 5 & 7 at the time). Their best Christmas present ever according to them.

They use them for playing games, watching movies from the NAS and on the move (loaded on to the SD card), and to help with their homework. Originally, they had both asked for a Nintendo DS buit these are miles better; they will last longer, are more flexible and games cost between ‘nowt and pennies.

I was a little miffed about the inability to move apps to the SD card, however this was fixed with a recent software update.

Highly recommended (and for £99 in ASDA, I’m tempted to get myself one!!)

EDIT: Forgot to say that we monitor the amount of screen-time and don’t let them use them upstairs. Also limit the number of charges per week.

iolo

I was babysitting 3 kids last night.
    We went to a nice park with lots of swings and slides.
    I was amazed how many children were there.
    70 percent of these children were sat at a picknick bench playing games on smart phones while their parents talked.
    I thought to myself that’s the future. It’s a bit sad really.

I_Ache

We just picked up a Hudl for £80 for our 6 year old. The main reason behind this is that she needs computer access for homework. I like that you can lock down a tablet easier than a windows laptop and that it is also portable so can be taken places to alleviate boredom. I don’t like the fact that it will cause massive arguments between her and the 4 year old who wont need one for schoolwork for another year. Or the amount that we are going to have top spend on AA batteries to keep her innotab running.

gsm7

I’m aboslutely shocked by some of the posts on here… 3yr olds and younger…. Surely there are better things that your children could be doing?

Playing outside? With actual people… In the real world?

I’m not a father, so perhaps I don’t understand – I just hope this isn’t the world that my kids will one day be born into.

I guess my only experience of this is my younger brother, he is 11 and would rather meet his friends online at home than go out to a park or cinema or whatever… I can’t get my head around this…

Premier Icon verses
    Subscriber

My 7yo uses “the family” tablet rather than having her own. Much like with TV, I try to ration her to 30min stints.

Junkyard

Mine have them but mainly as i dont want them left behind with other kids and technology will clearly be a big part of the future

they dont us it that much tbh 2-4 hours per week and most of that is using the camera to make “films” so still real world play.
    Internet is disabled but i may use some of what is mentioned above

iolo I went out to a restaurant and one kids [ 7 ish] watched a film all the way through the meal on his [ his parents] smart phone even though they were out and in a group!

iolo

This is what scares me. Children are given media, be it aps, movies or whatever to keep them from living real life.
    No climbing trees, fishing, swinging, talking in restaurants etc.
    What has the world become?

freddyg

I remember as a kid I was given books, lego and jigsaws as gifts. Isn’t this just an evolution of these?

Having a piece of technology does not immediately render your child unable to go outside. It is up to you, as a parent, to allow appropriate use. My kids both have one; their first choice for entertainment is always to be outside, playing with their friends.

messiah

We went to a nice park with lots of swings and slides.
    I was amazed how many children were there.
    70 percent of these children were sat at a picknick bench playing games on smart phones while their parents talked.
    I thought to myself that’s the future. It’s a bit sad really.

I’m more used to seeing the adults sat on the benches playing on their phones… which tends to mean they have no idea where their kids are or what they are up to 😯

We would never take the iPad’s to the park or give our boys a phone or iPad to amuse them in a restaurant. Unfortunately this is something we see all the time. When we take the boys to restaurants they are part of the group and will be involved in most of the discussions, not ignored and placated with toys.

tiggs121

Wow – Ipads for kids aged 3!!

We are really are creating problems for later. Proper human interaction is going be a rarity.

Relationships – get an app for that!

Instant gratification is what they want and when they don’t get it how are they going to react?

IMHO young kids should be playing – ie running around, learning by doing, seeing new places – just being kids really.

Iolo – spot on mate.

Premier Icon grizedaleforest
    Subscriber

Just came across this link that discusses some of the issues being raised here: exploring-digital-childhood-kids-and-technology

Junkyard

IMHO young kids should be playing – ie running around, learning by doing, seeing new places – just being kids really.

It amazes me that folks dont realise times change and the world moves on

The older generation always think the younger generation is worse than them and what they do not as good and it will lead to some sort of social problems

the children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
    authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
    of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
    households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
    contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
    at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers

Plato
    It was ever thus

its different not necessarily better or worse

Should they have a slate like their grandparents did at school?

messiah

Er… they are just another toy like any other. Some parents will use them as a virtual babysitter much as many parents have used TV’s and games consoles etc… or the “go play in your-room/steet/traffic as I have things to do”; we all have to do that sometimes.

Using these devices so you can ignore your children all the time would certainly (IMHO) be a problem… so not the actual device itself which can be a useful educational and fun toy for the developing mind.

P.S. I’m frequently complimented on the behavior and manners of my boys… even when they are telling stories to strangers about how Elvis died on the toilet from eating too many burgers 😆

2tyred

Have to admit I find this a tricky subject as a parent. Tyred Jr is 8, Tyred Jr Jr is 5, we have an ipad at home and they get maybe half an hour on it a couple of times a week, behaviour-depending obv.

I’m a software developer, but I’ve got no interest in computing or gaming at all, but I don’t expect my kids will be as luddite as I am. They’re both very active kids and I reckon the occasional bit of computer gaming (minecraft seems to be the current favourite) is fine, and as others have said, I don’t want them feeling left out if that’s what all their friends are doing.

Not sure at their ages I’d get them their own devices though.

Every Christmas time we go for a big meal out with a load of our friends and all their kids (ranging in age from 1 to 18) – last year there were maybe 12 adults and 14 kids, every kid except mine and the 1yo had some kind of device they could play a game on. All the other parents though it was great, the kids were so quiet and the adults could talk. I thought it was awful, most of the kids were silent for the whole time. What’s the point in having them along if they don’t say anything?

That’s the basis of my reluctance to give my two more access to personal gaming devices. I think kids should be funny, rude, bizarre, cheeky, annoying, loud, demonstrative and demanding of interaction – when they’re staring at a screen they’re none of these things.

I_Ache

Children can’t be outside climbing trees and riding bikes all the time. As others have said, times change. I’m 31 and just in my lifetime I have seen a massive change in how we all live, my mum and most of my mates mums didn’t work when I was growing up and kids could spend more time outside having fun in the evenings, weekends and school holidays. Now most mothers work (all of the ones we know through school do) and this is a function of people being more ambitious and the cost of living, particularly housing, going up massively.

The world has changed and so has the way everyone brings up children.

Mine don’t spend all their time watching telly and playing on computers. Just in the past week my eldest has helped me change the brakes on my car, do you think she learnt anything then? And my youngest has helped me clean out the headset on my bike and reassemble it. They have both also carved their own pumpkins with very little help from me. All valuable life skills I think you will agree. I bet most STW users can’t change discs and pads on their car, its a bit embarrassing that a 6 year old girl could tell you how to do it isn’t it?

loddrik

I love some of the assumptions being made on here. My girls would rather be role playing or out and about with me than glued to a screen, it is this reason that I have no problem letting them have an ipad mini each. They’re always out on the bikes with me, drawing, cooking, playing with cats, reading, dressing up etc. the amount they spend glued to screens is minor in comparison. Just because kids have devices doesn’t mean that’s all they want to do, which thankfully mine aren’t.

I’m surprised by the amount of kids my daughters’ ages who have TV’s in their bedrooms. Mine will be well into teens if we even let them have one at all. Any devices get left downstairs at bedtime and they’d rather read a book then anyway.

Just because we buy our kids these things doesn’t mean we are lazy parents….

jamiea

Some parents will use them as a virtual babysitter much as many parents have used TV’s and games consoles etc… or the “go play in your-room/steet/traffic as I have things to do”; we all have to do that sometimes.

“Not now, Bernard!” And look what happened to him…

Cheers,
    Jamie

djglover

We gave our 4 year old twins inotab tables. One of them managed to teach herself to read on it. Currently the only kid in reception that can read, and reading at the level of an 8 year old. She now wants a grown up computer for chrismas!

OK, we might have got to the same stage with books but I doubt it. We do try and limit screen time as all they seem to want to do is play on computers. Can’t say I set a ffantastic example of that though!

clubber

🙄 at the idea that having a tablet precludes kids from doing other things. I grew up in the 70s/80s and had a BBC computer which I spent lots of time on. I also spent lots of time in the parks/woods/street/garden.

Anyway, my 5yo son has one of these which was £35 from Amazon and works well. I use ‘Kidmode’ by zoodles (free from Google Play) which retricts the apps he can use and what he can do with the tablet. It also gives me a weekly email with a summary of what he’s been doing on it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=tablet+a13&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=25718542256&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12576950761893417646&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3jv7sd70f9_b#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tablet+a13+allwinner&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atablet+a13+allwinner

djglover

the ones aimed at younger kids are great I think, a potential money pit but very well designed.

Ours don’t spend a massive amount of time on the actually, but they are useful for holidays, pubs and any other situation where boredom could become an issue.

They can draw, read, watch video and play games on them so in effect you are just digitising some of the activity they do anyway, whats the harm in that!

Premier Icon surroundedbyhills
    Subscriber

iolo – 🙄 so you saw a snapshot of some kids (who you don’t know) using tablets when they possibly have been going to the park for years and are a bit fed up with the same old swings…We’re doomed!

Why can’t ever I get access to the deals…all sold out I suppose. I could do with an additional tablet for kids but is it a bit mean to buy myself a new one and handover my old Kindle Fire to them?

popstar

I would love my children to meet their friends and be raised like I was. Its absolute best for their development.

I have a problem, it will cost around £1000 per head per month in nursery fees alone. So £2000 a month against £800 for 2 ipads is no brainer. Ipads are a bargain, god bless it helps our household.

Children preffer to go outside for a fresh air instead of Ipad entertainment, so no worries. Shame i and my wife have to donkey so many hours at work to meet ends but thats how it is nowadays.

So yeah, these fancy tablets are just other form of toys.

ittaika

my 6 year old son loves using the family samsung note. all kinds of games for free and my wife downloads audio books for him for when we’re on long car journeys. been brilliant for travelling. not cheap, but probably the most used electronic gadget in the house these days. and it certainly encourages good behaviour as being bad means no pad.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘getting the kids a tablet – good idea ?’ is closed to new replies.