Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Getting sprung downlighters out to replace LEDs
  • chipps

A couple of years ago we had our bathroom re-done and the ceiling was replaced and eight LED recessed ceiling lights put in. Since then, half of them have stopped entirely, or have gone super dim. I’m assuming they were a cheapo job lot and I’m happy to replace them all. If indeed I can…

However, getting the units out of the ceiling is proving to be an issue. They appear to be sprung, with two sprung arms keeping them in place in the plasterboard. I can remove them some of the way, but then it seems very hard to overcome the spring tension to get them out – and there doesn’t really seem to be that much room to get the springs to clear the whole with the light unit too. I can get them far enough out to get to the lamp unit, but I’m not sure how to access the bulb from there.

From what I can see, they seem to be similar to these. Any ideas? Or do I just yank them out and replace the whole units?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-fixed-led-downlight-contractor-pack-white-370lm-5w-220-240v-10-pack/728fj

pedlad

Don’t get me started. Have same in extension and resigned to the fact I’ll probably need the ceiling re plaster boarded in the next ten years.

Most stupid bloody idea to have highly sprung semi destructive to remove housing, that has to be binned when it should be that the consumable light element pops out like a bulb.

Our electrician fitted them without a proper conversation and whilst they’re meant to last many years compared to bulbs we’ve had 40% go in 4 years.

So far the damaged plaster holes haven’t been visible but it’s only a matter of time.

montylikesbeer

I have these also. The outer case is supposed to remain in the ceiling with the cap designed to come off with the lamp attached to the rear of it.

If your trying to remove the lot your not doing it right, I’m sparks by trade snd it took me a couple of goes to get my head around it.

pedlad

Not doubting your qualifications but there was no way mine came apart and I could t find replacement “bulb” only parts. Do you have a link ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Depends on the type of unit . I have some that the whole unit needs to come out and some where the. Bulb is replaceable from below…and some that are not replaceable at all…..

In my case the angle adjustables need to have the bulbs put in from the top is whole unit out. But with the correct hole in the ceiling you can usually get them out carefully with minimal damage.

markspark
    Free Member

If you are replacing all the units the easiest way to get them out is to pull them down just enough to see the arms of the springs and then snip them with cutters, that should stop you damaging the ceiling around the holes. Or sometimes you can get a tie wrap round the springs and keep tightening it as you slowly pull it down

bruneep

Lap = shite.

Removed lots of screwfix “bargains” in my house just recently and fitted lots of these https://www.jcc.co.uk/en_GB/about/v50 to mine and sons house.

unovolo
    Free Member

I have spotlights with 3 x different designs of bulb retention in the house, basic version just has a circular spring clip to the front , second type has a screw in bezel, both of these once removed allow the bulb and holder to drop out.
    3rd type are some directional spotlights where you pull down on the spotlight and it slides down on 2 little rails which give you access to the bulb from the rear.

stumpyjon

Just have to remove them gently, just keep your fingers clear as when they clear the ceiling the springs spring back very fast, mousetrap like. It’s also possible the whole fitting is now scrap. I’ve fitted a number of units from Screwfix, yet to have any fail, 3 years in.

dovebiker

If they’re bathroom units then they’re probably sealed to meet electrical safety requirements – you just need to pull the whole unit quite firmly to get past the springs.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Can you get to them from the loft?

thebees
    Free Member

Pull them harder !!!
    Seriously, I’ve replaced hundreds of downlighters of all descriptions over the years when working with a mate who’s an electrician. They’re under sprung tension, but they went up there so they’ll come down. When enough of the spring is exposed grab hard against the body of downlight and give it some !!!
    Good luck

oceanskipper

Deffo mind your fingers as they are just like a mousetrap as mentioned earlier. Once you have got the springs past the horizontal and before they snap out press them against the side of the housing so they can’t spring down when they come clear and pull down. once it’s out you can carefully release the springs – 2 handed job probably. To get them back obv you have to push the spring arms back up again before you insert into the hole in the ceiling… They are a nightmare but once you get one out you might see that you can unscrew the inner housing (normally a 1/4 turn) if it’s just the bulb that you want to replace.

chipps

Thanks for the tips (especially the moustrap ones!) I’ll get some gloves on and have another go. Once I get one out, I’ll be able to work out how replaceable the bulbs are or if I need a bag of new units. I reckon 50% have gone in three years

bentudder

One last thing to bear in mind with shower rooms and bathrooms: if there’s moisture up in the void or regular condensation, then the plasterboard can get a bit soft. This can be exacerbated by a hamfisted tenant not really knowing what they’re doing and yanking it out (ask me how I know!), but as above, be super-careful keeping the spring loaded arms in to the sides when removing. There’s a definite knack to it, and I can now remove them without too much damage, but it’s nerve wracking to say the least if you fear plastering as much as I do. The suggestion above to use cutters to clip the springs off appeals to me – you’re taking them out because they’ve stopped working, after all.

tjagain

I find pulling them out as far as you can easily – a couple of cm then working them side to side against the springs work. All the ones I have fitted tho all have removable lamps without removing the whole unit. some there is a circlip that you remove and the lamp comes out, some the front comes off with a 1/4 turn

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Just keep a steady pull on, eventually the tension will ease as the springs go over centre then the fitting will pull out easily. These fittings are the work of the devil as they nearly always cause plaster chipping when you re-install. The secret is to keep the spring compressed as much as you can when pushing back into the ceiling hole.

lesgrandepotato

We’ve had reasonable success with collingswoods led down lighters put about 30ish in three years back. Two fails so far.

scotroutes

We have the 1/4 turn type, installed in the bathrooms when the house was built 15 years ago. Those can also stick and the whole unit turns, ripping the plaster. Bloody things!

Burger

Downlight hole repair
    I haven’t tried anything like the above, but looks preferable to a full re-plaster.
    My fittings are different to yours, but when I got sick of the crumbling plaster after swapping failed LED bulbs I removed the spring clips and drilled out the fitting chassis for use with self tappers through the fitting into some plywood that I glued in on the other side of the plasterboard. The screw heads are covered over by a decorative trim in my case so no visible difference. If you end up re-using the spring clips, you can preserve the plaster board a little by sealing the edges with some PVA glue or similar. Not trying to glue the fitting in place, so let it dry before refitting the lamp.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Getting sprung downlighters out to replace LEDs’ is closed to new replies.