Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Getting rid of gastroenteritis quickly
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Dunno if it’s food poisoning or a bug but I’ve developed the ability to sand blast out of my rear end.. For once this is probably a thread where pictures are not a good idea 😆

Theoretically racing on Sunday, so want to get better a.s.a.p.

Two key questions:

To eat or not to eat (and starve the little budgerigars?)

To Imodium or not to Imodium? Let it all get flushed through or have slightly more pleasant bowels?!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Don’t bung yourself up, it’ll delay the recovery from it.

You won’t be racing on Sunday if you want to do well and it is gastroenteritis, there’ll be nothing in your legs for a good week after.

Try toast to start with and isotonic drinks to replace the fluids you’re loosing. I always find an good meal after the toast has taken is fish fingers and smiley faces, nice simple to digest protein and carbs.

I’ve had it 3 or 4 times over the last 7 years, and it takes a good week to get over it once you return to normal movements.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep let it go and hope or keep it in and suffer longer…

Isotonic/electrolytes to give your body a chance to take something in, after that plane food

whitestone
    Free Member

Plane food!!? Are you trying to kill the guy 😀

ferrals
    Free Member

Not sure I have access to plane food 😆 though I’m assuming that’s a typo.

Will avoid the Imodium and suffer. I thought that was the case.

It’s annoying Steve, last Welsh race so don’t want to miss it if possible, but then last national the w/e after and accom booked etc so maybe best to skip the Welsh 😕 Will see how I am in a day or two. Frequency reducing but I think because I’m empty!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Picolax.

Blast it out.

legend
    Free Member

Should be nicely down to a good climbing weight for the weekend then?

PMK2060

If you are not vomiting or suffering from abdominal cramps then it is probably not food poisoning.

If you suffering from the above then I would keep off the immodium providing you are always close to a toilet :lol:.

skiprat
    Free Member

Get some Yakult down your neck. When i had food poisoning (and ended up in hospital for the best part of a week) i was given it to drink to try and get the bugs going again. I still use it now if i have a dodgy belly and it seems to help.

bigblackshed

I don’t want to cause alarm or owt. But last time I had gastroenteritis it was the precursor to appendicitis.

A week of irregular squitting, followed by a day of seemingly recovery, then unbelievable abdominal pain, followed by a visit to the hospital and Mr Surgeon to remove body parts.

I’m not saying yours will require surgery, but take it steady, drink lots of fluids, don’t eat until you stop squitting involuntarily, keep a squit diary, (seriously, trying to remember how often, when, consistency, when it feels like your soul has passed through the sewerage works isn’t always the most consistent or accurate)

One more thing. Dab, don’t wipe. Baby wipes and Sudocreme are your friends.

ferrals
    Free Member

Pmk, no vom., but cramping which is starting to subside thankfully.

Bigblackshed, sounds nasty, but hopefully I’ll be ok. Currently drinking lots of hot water. Not brave enough to try food yet!

mrblobby
    Free Member

What skiprat said (there’s a salty bio yoghurt you can get too, not sure what it’s called though.) And keep well hydrated.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

imodium is powerful stuff. I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago. Due to being out and about when it first exploded I was forced to take imodium. It stopped it fairly quickly but then it wouldn’t start again for a few days.

I’m just back to normal and it’s been nearly 2 weeks.

epicyclo

Problem solved.

Let nature take its course, no one will want to pass you… 🙂

ferrals
    Free Member

That’ll do the trick!

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I had a bad stomach bug several years ago and was told by the doctor that the bacteria feed on any fat consumed. He told me to eat just plain carbohydrate for a day or so and drink plenty of fluid.

If ever I get a stomach bug now I just stick to plain bread (no spread), plain boiled rice with no sauce, plain pasta with no sauce, just a little pepper or plain jacket potato. It’s all a bit bland but has never failed to work for me.

eckinspain
    Free Member

I used to get it more regularly when I lived in Spain.
    Boiled chicken (no skin), plain boiled rice, plain boiled potatoes. When you feel better give it another couple of days on this diet. I tried to rush my recovery and start eating normally again because I felt ok, but it would just set me back and I’d have to start over again.
    You’ll still be pretty weak at best on Sunday

ferrals
    Free Member

Nice one, thanks. Bread it is.

buckster
    Free Member

Are you pregnant and been near a mosquito infested dead thing in the last 6 months? If not, its good news, might just be a bug.

Gastrointer thingamy includes vomiting so if you are not vomiting it might not be gastro thingamy, it might wash through quickly. Do exactly as every poster has said without exception (except the saddle, …a saddle named ‘Butcher’? Really?) and you will live to be 115.

Dont forget your stomach will be tiny as you are emptying it so much. So you wont be able to eat much but, when you race it will be so tight that you will be permanently bent over the bars and ever so light which means you will win, absolute given

kimbers

Once you are purged get some of this type stuff

helps get your gut bacteria back to normal asap

ferrals
    Free Member

Haha buckster, I was trying to be polite with the gastro-wotsit, should have just said the $h!ts 😆

I never though of the aero advantage. I wonder if that’s what Froome’s been doing?

Incidentally auto-correct has tried three times to change your name to ‘huckster’ so Apples clearly just gifted you extra awesome riding prowess 😆

DrP

I reckon you need faecal recolonisation therapy…
    I’m not nearby, but I’m sure there’s a STWer near who could help.

DrP

kimbers

DrP – Member
    I reckon you need faecal recolonisation therapy…

my mates GF is doing her PhD on this
    its quite eye opening

DrP

A spoon full of sugar ain’t going to help here, Poppins….

DrP

epicyclo

kimbers – Member
    ‘DrP – Member
    I reckon you need faecal recolonisation therapy…’
    its quite eye opening

Eye opening? Not the way I’d like to have that procedure done… 🙂

davee128
    Free Member

Another vote for the live yoghurt. Doesn’t need to be yakult though, most supermarkets sell live yoghurt at much more reasonable prices in tubs. Slap in some honey and you’re good to go. Important thing is that it’s live. I’d say if you feel like eating, then eat. If not, don’t.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Another vote for the live yoghurt. Doesn’t need to be yakult though, most supermarkets sell live yoghurt at much more reasonable prices in tubs. Slap in some honey and you’re good to go. Important thing is that it’s live. I’d say if you feel like eating, then eat. If not, don’t.

Just to back up what the doctor told me earlier about fat and bacteria, why do you think there is active bacteria in live yoghurt?

jam-bo

I’m not sure the recommendation of dairy products for a dodgy stomach is the best….

matt_outandabout

its quite eye opening

It sound like *something* is opening, and it is not an eye. Perhaps she should consider another career if her medical knowledge is so far off…

Drac

Starve for 24 hours, sips of water often and then light simple foods tomorrow.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Scotch bonnets and guiness.

project
    Free Member

Yellow bananas eat 2 or 3 and youll feel better, not green theyre horrible, brown ones are to ripe and sweet.

buckster
    Free Member

I’m not sure the recommendation of dairy products for a dodgy stomach is the best….

Perhaps not but it will be fun hearing what happened next

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Getting rid of gastroenteritis quickly’ is closed to new replies.