Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Getting rid of an old banger.
  • Ro5ey
    Free Member

Got ten days left until the MOT runs out on my “well used” VW MkIV Golf gti turbo…. it aint gonna pass.

With a badly cracked windscreen the excess for that plus the actual mot cost will be more than it’s worth.

It’s done my proud for the last 14 years but has been little more than a mobile skip (for runs to the tip in the last few years while I’ve been doing my house up).

So other than doing a Top Gear and crashing it into the nearest wall, tree or caravan…. What do I do with it?

Take it to a breakers, I guess….  but what do I have to do with the log book etc … anyone know?

Any other ideas … not worried about getting any money.

Davesport

Take it to the scrappy or ask them to uplift. They’ll issue you with a bit of paper certifying it’s been scrapped.

welshfarmer

I guarantee if you stuck it on your local Facebook buy & sell pages for £250 it would be gone before the end of the day. Just to run it down the breakers would very nearly get that much for it, but there is sure to be a local lad who knows how to remove the bits that are always worth money before weighing it in. Carefully broken, most any car can yield £4-500 if you are prepared to put in the leg work to sell bits. A bit like old bikes really. And as for the V5c. As soon as someone buys it, just fill in the relevant bits and send it off. They may wish to keep it running so will need the new keeper bit. If they say they will break it then tick the box saying it was scrapped and send it off. Be sure to SORN it before the end of June though unless you want to pay TAX for the whole of july, even if you don’t have an MOT!

matt_outandabout

Pack her bags for her and ask her to leave in a firm voice?

matt_outandabout

(Gumtree – someone will take it off your hands, for a few more quid than you might think)

Northwind

I tried to sell my Focus as a runner, got nowhere. Blew up the clutch and sold it on ebay for damn nearly as much as I’d been looking for as a runner. I guess because people were searching for “repairs” or “nonrunner” or something?

rene59
    Free Member

As it’s done you proud for 14 years you could have it stuffed and mounted for hanging on your wall.

breadcrumb

I read the title as <span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> </span>

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Getting rid of an old badger.</span>

nicko74

<h1 class=”post-title”>Getting rid of an old banger.</h1>

As long as you cook it enough it should be edible. Just shove it on the BBQ for 2 hours!

Getting rid of an old badger.

Honestly, it’s not “getting rid of” so much as “waiting until it decides it wants to leave of its own accord”. You don’t want to be trying to fight a badger, especially not an old grumpy one…

nwmlarge
    Free Member

this may be a bit out of touch but what about a local YTS mechanic place?

Surely a 20v turbo is going to be of interest to some one regardless of its age and mileage

maccruiskeen

Stick it up a cat’s arse

maccruiskeen

Or offer it to the fire brigade.

ive always got good prices for out of / almost out of MOT cars and vans. Have sometimes sold them for pretty much what I bought them for taxed and tested a few years earlier. Think I paid £10/year depreciation on a merc T1 once. Just list it honestly and comprehensively and let the auction run- people who ask you to end the auction early are often time wasters. Sometimes the winners of auctions are too but even then- re-listing it has always resulted in a better price for some reason- usually from someone who bid and lost last time.

if you can’t be bothered with / don’t have the time for selling it I’ve sometimes sent out a group text “ask your friends if they want a free car” – gets you a nice chat and a few beers if nothing else.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Find out if any of your local College’s have a motor vehicle department. With little budget to spend, having new cars in to work on is much appreciated.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Thanks for the info and suggestions guys

I did a little looking into it myself and I can give the car to charity for them to scrap and get the money…..  http://www.charitycar.co.uk …. they arrange pick up from my home and I get to choose were the money goes (out of a list on their site) ….. Everyone’s a winner

Happy Friday

trail_rat
    Free Member

a 20vt engine or donor will fetch good money on evil bay ….

they are popular caddy transplants 😀

rene59
    Free Member

That website has my spider sense tingling. It doesn’t seem to be a standalone company, it’s just part of another private company dealing in scrap. Doesn’t seem to be a registered charity, it doesn’t break down what goes to charity and what goes to them in fees, just says donate the value of your car to charity which suggests charity gets it all but I doubt they are doing it for free.

I may be wrong, only looked at it for a few mins but I’d check it out further if the charity aspect was important to me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

For each car donated by you under these Charity Car Terms, CarTakeBack.com Limited shall donate to the charity:

• 100% of the current value of the car (as if you had sold your car for the instant quotation provided on our commercial website, CarTakeBack.com); or
    • if your car is sold at auction, the final hammer price less a fixed fee to cover auction costs.
    duncancallum

Where are you u know someone after a 20v

Cougar

It doesn’t seem to be a standalone company, it’s just part of another private company dealing in scrap.

Indeed.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/04088412

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07361689

slowoldman

Dealer I just bought my car off advised I should stick my old Passat (2000) on Ebay and wait for the rush of Romanians. Apparently a lot of elderly VWs find there way out to Eastern Europe.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Getting rid of an old banger.’ is closed to new replies.