Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Getting chicks on camera (birdbox question)
  • scruff9252

At the bottom of my garden around 12m away is a cluster / line of trees, nicely visible from where I sit working. Beyond my fence is a nice open grassy area. Also at the bottom of my garden is my shed which has 230v power…

I’d quite like to get a birdbox with camera to hopefully attract a breeding family of birds to follow a la Springwatch.

There seems to be selection of birdbox ranging from £30 – 200 – I’d imagine an IP camera is where it’s at for viewing on ones phone.

Has anyone done similar with worthwhile results? What camera / box did you go for?

CraigW
    Free Member

I got one a couple of years ago from Lidl, about £40 I think. It is basically just a USB webcam in the nestbox, with a long extension cable.
    I am using it connected to a Raspberry Pi in the shed. I had it set for timelapse, to take a photo every minute. Which is good, but end up with thousands of photos without much happening. I might try to set some sort of motion detection, or live streaming to my phone.

The camera has stopped working, think it got water in the USB connections. I have got a replacement one, need to set it up soon. Seems the replacement has a better waterproof cover anyway.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Getting chicks on camera (birdbox question)’ is closed to new replies.