Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • "Getting Chicked" Has anyone else heard this expression ?
  • A grrl on another forum mentioned how she has had problems with former boyfriends sulking when it turns out she is faster than them.
    She says some of the guys at her local club don’t like getting chicked either.
    I’d never heard the phrase before, but it sounds a great way of putting it.
    So, has anyone else heard it before, or is it something she made up ?

farm-boy

Very popular here in oz in racing circles.

toys19
    Free Member

It sounds like a sexism issue, getting beaten by a girl is the same as being beaten by a boy, you lost, I cannot see the difference…

cp

Yep, hear it often in or when talking about races. In the peak district fell races, a few of the women yell chicked as they cruise past you.. I quite often hear about it in the same way when talking about results in tris- chicked = beaten by a girl.

Both sexes I know of use it light heartedly…

Bagstard
    Free Member

I don’t see why it is sexism, men are naturally bigger, faster and stronger than women. Surely it is natural to feel worse when beaten by them?! Fair play to the girls though! 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Both sexes I know of use it light heartedly…

That’s right, run along and get the kettle on like a good girl. Light heartedly of course.

M6TTF
    Free Member

It would never happen.

crispo
    Free Member

Yep, used to hear it a lot ski racing.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’ve never heard of it either in conversation or on the bike. I like the expression though.

flatfish
    Free Member

I heard it for the first time earlier in the week.

emsz
    Free Member

ancient 🙄

must have heard it at school couple of years ago

Drac

Never heard of it, must be a southern thing.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

getting beaten by a girl is the same as being beaten by a boy

No comment 😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

never heard it before, i like it though…. i’m assuming there’s a man version: “getting rightfully beaten by evolution” or something 😉

wwaswas

I work on the prinicple that everyone is faster than me.

It avoids any angst that might derive from shattered delusions of competence.

Hammer
    Free Member

Being Chicked or not… we still get paid more than them.. 😉

Hammer.

tomaso
    Free Member

What is the appropriate term for a male overtaking a female? Bloke’d Guy’d Boy’d ????

geordiemick00
    Free Member

What is the appropriate term for a male overtaking a female? Bloke’d Guy’d Boy’d ????

i’d go for something that is alpha male version of chick……

stumpy01

wwaswas – Member
    I work on the prinicple that everyone is faster than me.

It avoids any angst that might derive from shattered delusions of competence.

Hey! Me too!!

Used to ride with a friend who was way faster than me. She had ridden for years more than I had and had that steady manner of riding, where she was never particularly fast, but just kept going & going & going. She approached obstacles in a steady manner and tackled them, whereas plenty of blokes would bomb up to them, bottle it at the last minute & stop.
    I never thought of it as being beaten by a girl, just being beaten by a faster rider.

At the 24/12 a few years ago I could hear a rider rapidly catching me in the night, just as we got to Cottage Descent. She shouted that she was trying to get the Queen of the Night fastest lap (or whatever it’s called) and could she go past. No problem – pulled over, she tore past and I used that as a bit of competition to see how long I could keep up for – it wasn’t very long!

It’s just a shame there aren’t more girls out there riding to be honest.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I wanna get chicked… chicked by a chick with a…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

What is the appropriate term for a male overtaking a female?

Getting Cocked, surely?

julianwilson
    Free Member

She has a 29″ commuter with big gears and I have a slicked-up 26″ bike, so on the road mrs j sometimes ‘chicks’ me with ease. Depends who’s had the more tiring week at our current levels of fitness. We often race xc ‘together’: I have not quite been chicked in a race by the mrs, usually a couple of minutes a lap faster. I am sure I will have a moderate sense of humour failure in the race that (and I am sure it will happen soon enough) she passes me on her third lap.

We both race in masters, my four laps at say, 22 minutes each usually gets me in the bottom five. Her three laps at 24 minutes each pretty much always gets her on the podium. So in that respect I get chicked every time we both put a race plate on!

pistonbroke
    Free Member

My wife suffers from it all the time on Duathlons and Triathlons, it is a real problem where drafting rules are strictly enforced. She passes a bloke cleanly a then he speeds up just scraping past her, to comply with the rules, she then has to drop back 7 meters behind him and have another go at passing him, this can go on for ages and really pisses her off as she may be going for a win where he is just being a macho knob.

toys19
    Free Member

just being a macho knob.

Exactly.

The root of the emancipation of women is in changing language. It is a sexist term because it assumes that a man should be better than a woman, and that he should feel worse being beaten by a woman than by a man. It’s a crock.

sweepy
    Free Member

I think its an ok term because it recognises that men have natural advantages in most sports, that the ‘chick’ has clearly overcome. And good on her for that.
    Its like being beaten by a bloke when you had a clear head-start.
    Doesnt bother me at all.

PJM1974
    Free Member

It’s not a term I’d use, for it comes across as a tad derogatory. I never use the term “chick” in my normal parlance anyway.

Have I ever been pwned by a female rider? Plenty of times. Does it bother me? Not anymore than being pwned by a male rider. I’d be mortally wounded if she were riding a fixie though.

toys19
    Free Member

I think its an ok term because it recognises that men have natural advantages in most sports, that the ‘chick’ has clearly overcome. And good on her for that.

That is true in general sense, but in the specifics it isn’t, i.e. pick any random man and woman and if the woman is fitter/stronger than the man it is just as likely to be for many reasons other than purely their sex. So if you say to a woman, wow you beat me and you are “only” a woman then that is a bit of sexist insult, and to me that is what “chicked” implies

Anyway I do not wish to be antagonistic, I don’t mind what you say, my comment really applies to me. I would not use it as I would not want to present myself in a way that I think is wrong. You guys go ahead and do what you like. But I am interested in exploring the meaning behind it and am happy to discuss it with any of you if I can assure you that I do not wish to criticize you unless you are being macho knobs as described above. (i.e. if you cannot hack being overtaken by a woman because she is a woman then that is a poor show, take the shame of being overtaken, the other person is fitter and stronger than you end of.)

EDIT – as usual someone else says it better than me. see PJM1974 above

charliemort

fact of life for me. Mrs M is basically a better athlete than me, and 6 stone lighter……..

this year we have done 3 TT’s and 1 Tri together. We are well matched on the bike (she climbs better) I am a better swimmer, she’s a better runner

Tri’s I am maybe top 30 / 40%, she will podium and has qualified for world Age Group champs

TT’s she has beaten me by 1 sec, and think I nicked a couple 14 secs and 30 secs. Tri I nicked by 1 sec!

Doing XTT MTB tri tomorrow so i will spend the whole run peering over my shoulder to see if she is catching the gap I’ll have on the swim and hopefully keep on the bike

do I care? not really, but I suppose there is a deep down feeling that I should be quicker (is that macho knobishness? hope not – certainly wouldn’t get in anyone’s way) We have a laugh about basically

emsz
    Free Member

I wanna get chicked… chicked by a chick with a…

yeti, when I read your posts, this is who I picture:

close?

re being “chicked” got called a “**** dyke” once at cymcarn (dunno if he knew LOL, cos I overtook a bloke on the last downhill, that’s the one and only time I’ve been called something, and it was a guy on a full suss wearing camo shorts, fat, middle aged. He was properly chicked and he hated it. 8)

toys19
    Free Member

do I care? not really, but I suppose there is a deep down feeling that I should be quicker (is that macho knobishness? hope not – certainly wouldn’t get in anyone’s way) We have a laugh about basically

It isn’t macho knobishness, feeling you should be quicker is just a fact, you are probably not as fit as you could be. Being a pain in the ass to her just because she is a woman when if she were a man you would afford her more respect would be knobbish, but by your own lights that isn’t the case.

it was a guy on a full suss wearing camo shorts, fat, middle aged

other than the camo shorts it sounds like me…

charliemort

Toys19 -you’re not wrong. I do it all for fun and to keep a decent level of fitness in my middle-aged ness; she’s hyper motivated . I’d only get to that level of motivation if I felt I could be really good (which I couldn’t……. 15 1/2 stone ex props don’t make good athletes!)

or maybe that’s just defeatist!

grum
    Free Member

In the peak district fell races, a few of the women yell chicked as they cruise past you.

Oh dear. Never heard the term but it’s a pretty lame one imo.

So it’s a phrase used in fell running and skiing, it just hasn’t caught on with mountain bikers then.
    Like a lot of things, if you’re looking to be offended, you’ll find it offensive.
    The grrl who used it on the other forum obviously meant it in a light hearted “Tsk, men, eh ?” way.

Toys19, don’t take it too seriously.
    Women get their own category in racing because they are expected to be slower. Some blokes get offended when they prove they are not slower. Some women find it funny when the blokes get offended.
    I like the phrase getting chicked and think there ought to be other phrases like getting veteranned and getting singlespeeded.

billysugger
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObZaVgoX0zM&feature=related[/video]

benfeh
    Free Member

Never heard the phrase before but has happened often enough.

No need to be offended – I find that while far fewer women go mountain biking those that do are effing good!

Let’s face it most of us blokes that do it love the bikes and kit as much as getting out on them – most of us blokes are pretty cr*p. Most of the women in my club just want to ride the bikes and race and are not that interested in the big boy toy bit.

toys19
    Free Member

Toys19, don’t take it too seriously.

mtq, I’m not as I said do as you like, I’m not judging. Just more interested in it rather than anything else.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘"Getting Chicked" Has anyone else heard this expression ?’ is closed to new replies.