Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Getting bikes back from Fort William?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Looking for some ideas peeps, yokaiser and I are doing WHW in a day on 15th August, scotrail are still playing funny buggers with bike bookings, not taking bookings, indicating that it’s first come first served, which I don’t fancy testing out.

Thought about breaking bikes down and bagging and trying Scottish citylink, but tbh that’s a risk too.

I’m thinking I’ll try contacting the various folks that do baggage hauling for WHW walkers, mibbe an option.

Any other ideas? Looking to get back to Glasgow on Sunday 16th.

Cheers!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Yep. There were loads of stressed bikers at fort bill station when I did it with my son. One couple actually just left theirs behind.

Can’t recall who I did baggage with but they were great. Have a look in my profile for the whw duathlon thread. It mentions the name of the baggage company.

scotroutes

Just an idea…

Do it southbound. You’ll be under less pressure to meet a train timetable.

I came to this conclusion when I was looking at doing it and I was living in Edinburgh.

(You could even courier them to someone in FW, Nevis Cycles for instance)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I had thought of that Colin, but the thought of that dull trudge into milngavie kinda puts me off!.

Came across baggage freedom, messaged them and they can do it, 25 quid pp, that’s cheaper than the bus, half the price of the train! Thanks guys.

scotroutes

Aye, fair comment. Who wants to end a ride in Glasgow?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Exactly.

tjagain

The other advantage of going south is that all the walkers will see you coming.

However – one way van hire? I did this from inverness and it really was not too expensive at all.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

We’re sorted now tj, thanks, as above. Bell will be fitted for walkers!

kirkg
    Free Member

Not much use just now but hopefully getting bikes in trains will be a lot easier in the new year.

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/about-scotrail/news/scotrail-unveils-active-travel-carriage-design

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

@13thfloormonk – Just tagging you as you were in a similar position with train bookings, £35 back from FW to Edinburgh, leaves at 1700 from FW every day, and takes bikes as long as you take front wheel off.

Good option.

13thfloormonk

Thanks @nobeerinthefridge

My mate bailed on our September plans which made them prohibitively expensive this timd around 🙁 (lots of shared hotel rooms).

Gravel to Cairngorms and back(ish) from Edinburgh for me in September, really looking forward to it.

West Coast mega-gravel loop in May 2021 hopefully…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Getting bikes back from Fort William?’ is closed to new replies.