• This topic has 59 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by fossy.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Getting better as you get older
  • kayla1
    Free Member

Interesting points there fooman. I have tinkered with the idea of going out to ride like I used to before the days of Strava and Garmins. Leave all that at home and just go out for fun. I have some woods nearby which I can utilise, although there is no elevation (not that it really matters).

JFDI! You can’t measure fun and it’s ok to play out if you want to 😎

jimmy

I’ve been thinking about this recently. Definite lull in riding in the past 4 years (I have a 4yo daughter, go figure). Then… have got out a bit in recent weeks and am beating Strava times from years gone by and oddly, on the steep techy stuff in Tweed Valley, I feel remarkably comfortable like everything is falling into place. I’m not talking super quick, I’ll never win races, but at an age when I thought riding would be dropping off and my body falling to bits, I feel strangely zen on the bike.

stcolin
    Free Member

Four year lull and then that? Fair play. I find if I don’t ride for 4 weeks I feel like I’ve lost most of my fitness. That might not be the truth in reality. I find I go faster when I’ve got a smile on my face from riding well. Doesn’t happen often though!

richmtb

I’m 42 been riding off-road for about 15 years. My fitness ebbs and flows based on how much actual riding I’m doing but I’m definitely better at technical trails than ever.

Some stuff I used to stop and stare at before giving up and walking down I barely notice now. Its not true every day, some days you just don’t feel it and its fine to take an easier line but generally the level of stuff I ride is a lot higher now than 10 years ago.

cyclelife
    Free Member

I’m 60 on Friday, been riding for over 30 years, now really struggle to keep up on trail rides – not sure what to do!
    In the meantime I’m spending more and more time at uplift days, we’re booked in to Dyfi on Saturday for a birthday treat – not been before, hopefully I’ll survive 🙂

the00
    Free Member

I am the same age as you, but I am blessed without very much competitive spirit, so I’m happy to go for a bimble and just enjoy it. I certainly could be fitter, and actually ride quite infrequently, but the big difference to my riding these days is having confidence in the abilities that I do have.

If you genuinely want to improve anything, then accept the need to actually practice. A normal ride will possible only give you a handful of opportunities to try getting airborne, to bunnyhop an obstacle or to carve a corner. I have met riders who have far less experience than I have, but have concentrated on core skills to their dividend. This is probably the hardest bit for an older person to tackle. I feel quite self-conscious just rolling around the neighborhood trying to practice my wheelies, but in a small group it is much easier to pick up tips and to properly focus on practice for an hour or two.
    We started doing a weekly 2 hour session of ‘skills gym’, where we each just work on the particular skill within a supportive group environment. It has helped get me to the pint where I can almost manual 🙂

stcolin
    Free Member

So, since posting this it has been a very dry spell of doing any exercise. I went to Wharncliffe Woods last weekend and it was a day to forget. Had an OTB early on twisting my knee a little bit, then 2 more stupid falls put an end to my day. I was very very frustrating, and have been annoyed with myself since. Conditions were challenging, very muddy, very slippy, and I was unable to ride sections that I could previously.

I’m off skiing this weekend (another thing I’m very anxious about) for a week, so I would like to get back on the bike when I get back. Here’s hoping for an improvement in trail conditions.

I have been thinking about entering some races this year, mainly a couple of PMBAs, Maybe a Welsh Enduro round or two, and the Midweek Madness XC series.

carbonroadrat
    Free Member

Practice. Cant say it more plainly.

OP it sounds like confidence and the right mind set is something you are struggling with.

But you cant get better by sitting on your arse doing sweet fa.
    You posted 3 weeks ago and say its been a dry spell of exercise. Moaning about it here wont help.
    But getting out on the bike and riding up and down the pavement practicing wheelies for 15 minutes each and every evening certainly will help.
    Years ago I decided I wanted to wheelie longer and jump higher. I got some odd looks from the neighbours but I simply rode around outside my house most evening for about 6 months. I felt a bit awkward, neighbours must have thought it was odd. But who gives a **** what anyone else thinks?
    Youtube tutorials are a great resource.

So 15 minutes each night. Do you think you could manage that? If not, then what is the obstacle that prevents it?

ta11pau1

At 38, I’m currently the fittest I’ve ever been. Took up running (couch to 5k) to keep the fitness up during the winter, not being able to get out on the bike more than once every 2 weeks sometimes sucks for staying fit. I’ve got 2 more weeks of C25K left and I’ll try and continue and get in a couple of 5k runs per week with another run increasing distance, I’d love to be able to run 10k comfortably.

After getting back into MTB in April 2018, that first summer was hell with lack of fitness, not being able to enjoy the downs because I was blowing out my arse on the ups really limited the fun I was having. Also, I remember 18 months ago going for a group ride and being show a drop off (which could be rolled) and thinking there’s no f****g chance I’ll do that – the other week a few of us ticked off some drops/bombholes/rolls on a session including that same one I swore I’d never be able to do.

I do still need to practice the little skills though: endo turns, bunnyhops, manuals etc. I’m at the stage in my riding where to go faster (in the current conditions) I need (and want!) to be making small gaps on the root nests and natural lips rather than ploughing though them.

Still, fitness is the main thing for me, if you don’t have that it’s very hard to improve everything else as it limits your ability to ride, full stop.

Jumps and wheelies? Well, wheelies can be practiced on every single fireroad climb – try 10 per couple of miles and you’ll get there.

Jumps, I have less interest in, a Jedi course helped with this though, went from nothing to clearing a 6ft gap with relative ease. My targets this year involve riding lots – more stuff, steeper stuff, rockier stuff, mountains, big days and so on. I have 8 trips already planned for this year to take me out my Kent and Surrey comfort zone (more of wales, west country, Lakes, Peak district, Scotland) with some proper wild natural riding in there so if that doesn’t force me to improve I don’t know what will!

Tracey

After 33 years mtbing I like to think I’m like a fine wine and have got better with age.
    In reality more like an Aldi £5 red. Average but to most can’t tell the difference. 😉

duncancallum

I’m average. I’m not bad I’m not too slow now and again but I’ve plateaued.

Need to push myself more.

Ps I can wheelie but I grew up in formby where it’s so flat it’s all you had to do.

If your out on a mnpr I’ll happily see if I can share some tips from my wasted youth

stcolin
    Free Member

But you cant get better by sitting on your arse doing sweet fa

Couldn’t agree more. Perhaps there is a bit more to my reluctance than I’ve explained. Fear of failure being one reason, the others, a little more complicated.

It’s been interesting to hear that many people are fitter now than they have ever been.

devbrix
    Free Member

Mrs Devbrix was riding red at Haldon today and met a MTBer who, get this, was 86. He was on an ebike, but nevertheless that’s amazing. You’ve might have nearly 50 more years to nail those skills, maybe longer!

nc21

I’m out regularly twice a week, not training or very fast but usually a few climbs and natural descents.Im 55 and whilst I may have plateaued now, the last 5 years on a full suss bike and getting to grips with enduro style riding has transformed my riding. I’m fairly confident on rocky, rooty, steep stuff and any other skill I have I’ve picked up along the way.

carbonroadrat
    Free Member

Fear of failure being one reason, the others, a little more complicated.

It sounds like if you get your head in a better place then getting out on the bike more will follow?

Cycling and staying fit in general has saved me from pretty dark times in my life if i’m honest. Maybe you’re setting the bar too high for yourself and expecting to fail.
    Take it right back to square one. start on the basics like its the first time you’ve got on a bike. dont worry about pulling a wheelie for 500ft. focus on lifting the front wheel and getting used to falling over past the balance point.

whatever you do mate just get out on the bloody bike. please.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

One thing I’ve learnt in the last 10 years is that with focused practice you can achieve results at any age.

As an example, when I packed in my job in the university sector and started my coffee business I never thought I’d get any good at latte art. I’m not much cop at fine motor skills other than playing musical instruments, and my early attempts at latte art made me think Id never get it.

However, after a few months of making hundreds of coffees a week, I found that I could do 20 layer tulips on demand. None of it was natural aptitude – it was all a result of focused practice.

I’ve found the same with my piano and guitar playing – I’ve focused closely on key areas, rather than just randomly playing stuff – and I’ve improved more in the last couple of years than the previous 20.

JP

johnx2
    Free Member

The older I get the better I was. At this rate by 2030 I’ll have been a riding god in the ’90s.

petercook80
    Free Member

My advice is that you can indeed get better as you get older (I am 55) and this might help get to grips with things

https://betterride.net/blog/2019/here-are-the-mtb-skills-you-should-be-practicing/

he advocates that if you execute the basics really really well you will be a much better rider, and by basics he means Vision, Body Position, Balance

So I have been focusing on these core basic skills and trying to get them as perfect as I can and it really has improved my riding.

Mbnut
    Free Member

John I’m going to Nick that.

Just to confirm what’s being said really.

53 very soon and currently the best I’ve ever been.

I’m not a natural but I do enjoy the challenge and work on both fitness and technical skills on every ride.

Going out when I simply don’t fancy it helps, pretty much never regret it.

As said above, manage your expectation, improvement is incremental.

fossy

50. Ex roadie, nothing like as fit as I was before a car driver broke my back 4 years ago, when I switched to MTB only. That said, I set two local PB’s on descents in filthy slippy mud recently, way faster than in the dry.. I don’t understand it, other than my ‘skill’ is improving.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Getting better as you get older’ is closed to new replies.