Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Getting a local newspaper to remove address from website
  • schrickvr6
    Free Member

We’re ready to exchange on a new (old) house and have discovered the house has a rather unsavoury history, it was used as a half way house for ‘wronguns’ and there was an offence committed there 12 years ago.
    We can see past the grim history but the local rag has the house number and street name on two articles which are the top of google search results, I called them and asked if they could edit it to remove the house number and their policy is that if it’s factual they won’t touch it.
    I think this is wrong as the house will be forever tarnished, and working from home I can’t have people google my address and seeing those results.

My question is can anything be done legally or is it time to bale out?

wwaswas

Use a PO Box for your work mail?

Not sure if the ‘right to forget’ that Google et al have to adhere to works on premises or just people but might be worth checking?

scruff9252

Can you not change your house number to a house name?

Perhaps;
    Rape’N’Murder House,
    London Road
    xx21 2xx

JackHammer

Commit an even more abhorrent crime that will knock the others articles lower.

thepurist

It’s a bit middle class desperation but you can append a name to the number by just filling out a form at the PO, then give out your business address as ‘Dunridin’, Acacia Avenue, Burbsville rather than ’10 Acacia Acanue’. Should solve the google issue but not the resale.

Edit – though scruff’s name FTW

ElShalimo

Change the house name via the Post Office.
    Call it Dunkillin or something catchy

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Use a PO Box for your work mail?

Not sure if the ‘right to forget’ that Google et al have to adhere to works on premises or just people but might be worth checking?

It’s people physically calling at the address. I’ve been looking at getting Google to remove it from their search results but removal of address is not something they would usually do.

It has got a name, is it easy to just drop the number?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Dunkillin

😀

spekkie
    Free Member

The owner didn’t mention this? (Obvs not)

schrickvr6
    Free Member

It’s a repo.

Anyone know if it’s possible to get something like an injunction?

wwaswas

Change the name to;

“NoWayIsYourStuffStoredWithCorpses”

tbh, if the physical address is that important then I’d be looking to get one with no negative press.

Post Office etc aren’t that keen on just names for buildings as it makes them a pain to find so I’d imagine your customers will feel the same if they have to try and find it from a post code coverign several dozen properties?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’m a postie, people change the name of their houses all the time.

There is a proper channel, going through highways and royal mail. but plenty just do it themselves.

Every street in england will have at least 2 houses without numbers or names on.

If you do go about it yourself, give your postman a heads up to change his frame and stick a big clear sign on it with the new name.

scud
    Free Member

I don’t think you can get them to remove from articles if those articles are factually correct. If it was proven they were incorrect then you’d have a chance.

scotroutes

I can’t see the point.

“Which house are you”?

“The one between number 2 and number 6, but it’s not number 4. Honest”

allthepies
    Free Member

Surprised you didn’t google the address prior to purchase.

Anyway, as above, if it’s factually correct historical information then it should stand IMO.

theotherjonv

Make it a feature….. “do you want to hold the meeting in the downstairs office or in the upstairs room where Mrs Miggins was cruelly bludgeoned to death?”

Moses

Can you explain why

working from home I can’t have people google my address and seeing those results.

It happened, that was reflected in the sale price, live with it.
    Or should Auschwitz also be renamed Krakow Kampingplatz?

FWIW, an ex-girlfriend lives in the house where a relative of mine slit his own throat. She doesn’t seem to mind the history

jam-bo

surely you just need to get enough results in google to cover the front page with your version of it? no one reads past the first page anyway.

ElShalimo

Is is haunted? You could make a few extra £££s if it is…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Is there a patio?

(Sorry. Sorry…)

johndoh
    Free Member

To be fair I doubt any business contact would Google your address, find out about something that happened many years ago then be put off from continuing a business relationship with you. If they did you would probably be better off without them.

Jamie
    Free Member

Is there a patio?

Yes, but it’s been laid terrible. Loads of bumps in it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Why do you think people will Google the full address?

Do you really think it’d put clients off? Might make an interesting talking point instead.

wwaswas

Do you really think it’d put clients off?

I’m trying to work out what type of business it is that people regularly come to the door to collect things.

It’s not a ‘service’ like a physio so a product that’s either too bulky to post or local and bespoke.

Sandwich

Make it a feature….. “do you want to hold the meeting in the downstairs office or in the upstairs room where Mrs Miggins was cruelly bludgeoned to death?”

Real life Cluedo, your visitors can take it in turns to be the victim or perpetrator.

matt_outandabout

Try living in Dunblane.
    The Google search results are all about the massacre.
    I have messaged Google to suggest they alter – if you search ‘Dunblane’ you get up to date/relevant, with a ‘Did you mean ‘Dunblane Massacre’ below – didn’t even get a response.

plyphon
    Free Member

Unfortunately, rewriting historical journalism based on personal whim is a deadly precedent to set.

There is no such thing as a bargain, if something is too good to be true… etc etc.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Did Louise live there?

Poopscoop

Fit exterior lighting and lease a white BMW.

That will overshadow any interest in the murder.

On here anyway.

windydave13
    Free Member

I feel your pain. I moved into a house 12months ago where the chap’s daughter ran a plumbing business from. She’s done a runner to france and trying to get the business listings removed from my address is proving a nightmare. Even getting companies house to make changes is proving impossible.

DrP

Anyone else just want to know what happened in said house??

DrP

Drac

We can see past the grim history but the local rag has the house number and street name on two articles which are the top of google search result

The previous owner voted for Brexit?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Because they are lost and are looking for it?

breadcrumb

We viewed a house that was a murder scene a few years previously.

The fact someone had been murdered wasn’t the reason that we didn’t pursue the house.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Anyone else just want to know what happened in said house??

Yeah i did, I think i found it. but if i post it on here it will be another customer lost for the OP

nealglover
    Free Member

Because they are lost and are looking for it?

I’d use google maps for that personally.

Not a lot of news stories pop up on there.

Poopscoop

Piecing it all together I’m guessing it was the local Conservatives HQ?

Rorschach
    Free Member

My friend owns a campsite.There was a very negative incident and subsequent story in the local rag about a venue/hotel with the same name.
    Immediately he started getting abuse/negative reviews despite him pointing out he has no link to news story.It’s cost him a lot of money in lost/cancelled bookings
    He’s contacted the paper repeatedly to print a piece pointing this out…..they’re entirely uninterested.

cokie

Just found the story too. Not nice.

I don’t think it should be an issues- if you take the number & road name in isolation it shows the story, but if you search number, road name & postcode it doesn’t show the story. I would think the majority who search the address would either search on postcode only or postcode & number/road name. It should be okay.

Also agree that it would seem odd for a 12 year old story to impact business relations.

DrP

Yeah, bit of net sluething found it.

I can see why you’d want dissociation from that. Hope it all works out for you…

DrP

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Getting a local newspaper to remove address from website’ is closed to new replies.