Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Getting a Kindle from the States, any problems?
  • tree-magnet
    Free Member

I work overseas at a US postal address, and I’d like to get a Kindle. Unfortuantley Royal Mail won’t deliver out here, whereas I can get free post from Amazon.com. So has anyone got a US bought Kindle? I’d like to get the 3G/Wi Fi version but I want to check it’ll still work on the UK phone network when I get home. Any experience appreciated.

TIA

poly
    Free Member

the UK one claims to work “worldwide” (which should not be read literally – but includes the US). So I see no reason for a problem – but obviously chargers will not work on UK mains without an adaptor. The other issue may be when it develops a fault Amazon may get confused with sending it back to the right place for repair (although my recent experience with them was fantastic).

tree-magnet
    Free Member

The adaptor will work in the UK (it’s rated 100-250V), so if the 3G will work in the UK, that’s me sold! 🙂

kevonakona
    Free Member

Not necessarily my sister lives in Spain and can’t get one to work from there without a british credit card address. But then i guess that might be due to her trying to get books from the british site.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Hmmm, that’s a little less clear cut then.

If someone has bought a Kindle from Amazon.com with a UK CC and then use it in the UK, your advice on if it’ll work or not would be helpfull!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

you would need to buy books from the US amazon site, and i think with a US registered CC…

I live in france, and have just bought a UK kindle (its awesome btw), using my UK CC, delivered to my dad – i am dowloading books from the UK site via a proxy server.

You could get an international one, which would have less restrictions, but there is less choice of books, they tend to be more pricey and the delivery times can be incredibly long.

this info is what i gathered from the kindle forums, and might be a little inaccurate, i am not sure exactly how the whole 3G thing works tbh – i don’t have this option.

have a look at the proper kindle forums, perhaps.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Well, just in case anyone ever finds themselves in the same boat:

The US one is identical to the UK one, including the sim card in it so you can use a US one in the UK fine. You can register it as a UK one as well, so it’ll buy UK books as well. However, they won’t ship outside of the US, even to an APO (their equivalent of BFPO), so you’d have to do like I have, and buy one off ebay.

samuri
    Free Member

And just to add, I took my Uk purchased device to Switzerland the other week, the 3G worked great.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Getting a Kindle from the States, any problems?’ is closed to new replies.