Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • getting a full suss frame ready for powder coating????
  • renton
    Free Member

I’m going to get my frame repowdercoated but o have a few questions about getting it ready.

My frame is a five spot and has these little grease nipples fitted, what do I do aboit them?

Can I fit an old bottom bracket to stop the threads getting gunked up? If so how do I remove it afterwards without damaging the powder coat around it?

Can I fit a set of old plastic bushes I have and then use a scalpel or something to remove them?

What about the seat tube a d headtube?

If anyone has any tips for me that would be great.

Cheers

Steve

elstorma
    Free Member

http://www.turnerbikes.com/homepage/turner-rebuild

I would suggest maybe get the frame back to turner for a rebuild
    The Turner Rebuild Program includes re-powder coating the main frame and rear, complete pivot rebuild kit installed, new down tube decals and a stainless head badge.

bencooper
    Free Member

Grease nipples normally unscrew. A decent powdercoater will mask off threads and bearing surfaces. Don’t use anything plastic, it’ll melt into a sticky mess.

And take the bearings out of course – I recently had a horrible time sorting a frame that someone had had powdercoated with the bearings in.

renton
    Free Member

Ah cool.

Don’t really want to send it back to Turner as it will cost a fortune.

There are no bearings in the frame just plastic top hat things. Should I just mask the faces where they go?

Finally what colour should I do it?

bencooper
    Free Member

Let your powdercoater do the masking – they’ll have the proper masking tape and know what they’re doing if they’re any good.

And yellow. Yellow bikes are faster.

renton
    Free Member

Well as they are predominantly a motorbike repair centre they will probably offer me kawasaki green wich is quite pleasant !!

crofts2007
    Free Member

I would make sure the bearings/bushes are out as they will probably melt and then need replacing.
    Also the bush housing needs masking as if it gets powdercoated it will mess up the loading/friction of the pivots. (i.e. more friction as they will be a tighter fit.)
    HTH

downhilldave

Hi Renton,agree with Ben, the powder coaters normally use a high temp blue masking tape. How old is your frame? My 2010 Turner has grease nipples that screw in, some earlier ones are push fit. If there is a slot in its a clue. They And all the plastic bushes MUST come out before powder coating. The heat will melt the grease which will contaminate the finish. The bottom bracket,headtube,seat tube and all the bush faces (frame and swingarm) need masking. The shock mount areas are Ok without. The colour is up to you, wanted a light blue on mine but they didn’t have it so went for yellow which looks sweet. Thought about new decals? If I had it done again I think I would have it clear lacquered as well. Can Email you some pics if you want 🙂 if you want any more help give me a shout

mactheknife

Renton, have a chat with whoever is doing the powdercoating, Let them know that the tolerances where the bushings go are extremely tight. They will do what needs to be done.

Oh and post some pics up when its done please, im thinking about doing mine as well. I was gonna get a new 5 spot frame but for now they have stopped production. So a respray is a good option.

Oh and stealth black is the way ahead 🙂

andysredmini
    Free Member

I just had my frame powder coated again by the company I normally use but unfortunately the bloke who usually does it was on holiday. Normally he wipes the powder from the threads, headset and bearing faces before it goes in the over. This time pretty much everything is powder coated and rebuilding has been a pain. I have had to have the bottom bracket threads chased out twice (not chased deep enough the first time) and have had to tap/clean all the other threads and clean out the headset faces. The first time I took a frame for powder coating I masked all the threads etc. but the painter said not to bother as it would burn in the oven. He said he just wipes it out with his finger before cooking.

In short make sure they don’t get powder coat anywhere you don’t want it.

Andy

Farticus

My old XCE front triangle is at Triple S now, and my 5 Spot was painted by Argos a few years back – both have the older press fit zerks.

Strip it down, including plastic hats. Tell them what to cover, but they can pretty much tell anyway. i’ve sent them a couple of replacement zerks as the old ones will come out anyway. If they’ve done bikes before they’ll know what they’re doing.

Tracey

We have had a few of the girls done at LSN Coatings in Castleford and have always left the stripping and masking up to them. Always had a first class job done at a reasonable price.

Good luck with it and put some pics up when its done.

renton
    Free Member

Mine is a 2010 frame with screw in zerks fittings.

Waiting for the company to get back to me so as soon as its done I will get pics back up !!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘getting a full suss frame ready for powder coating????’ is closed to new replies.