Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Getting a Chupacabra off? (!)
  • mattjg
    Free Member

I want to winterise my Stache but finding the Chupacabra very (very) tight on the rim (MuleFut)

Anyone done this? Any tips? Or is there a tool to help?

(ps yes I’ve done gazillions of tubeless setups, but this is very, very, tight).

Ta.

davidxbrown
    Free Member

I had exactly the same issue last night! managed it with the help of a tyre lever to prise the bead away but still ended up with very sore thumbs! I was getting close to using a flat bladed screw driver but resisted – Just!

Replaced it with a Dirt Wizard which I could not get up tubeless, tried all the usual tricks including getting it seated using a tube and taking that out to finish the tubeless set-up, first time my Bonty Charge pump has failed me. Took it to a mate to use an Aldi special compressor that wouldn’t do it either. Brought it into work and up first time with a proper airline 🙂

First ride tonight with the Dirt Wizard on the back, not sure what to put on the front yet, possibly another..

What tyres are you going for?

jabbi
    Free Member

Let the air out, lay the wheel on its side and tread on the sidewall just above the bead, you should be able to unseat it with your foot. 😀

mattjg
    Free Member

thx guys.

I have a Chronicle to go on the front, intending to leave the rear.

I’ve backed off for today, will try with foot tomorrow.

(Not sure why I bother carrying that hefty tube if I can’t get the tyre off!)

davidxbrown
    Free Member

Dirt Wizard on the back, wow what a difference! It replaced a very worn Chupacabra, conditions were damp not muddy and crispy dry in places, I’m going to change the front but hoping to try a Chronicle first before spending the cash. 29+ tyres arnt cheap!

mattjg
    Free Member

David do you notice any issue with the extra tyre weight? (I ride at the back of a fast crew, I need to keep up!)

doncorleoni
    Free Member

As above stamp on it!

I have just fitted a vee bulldozer on my stache. About 1250g vs 850 for the chapacrasasssass (set up tubeless). Don’t notice the extra weight but I do notice the insane amounts of grip from the bulldozer. Amazing tyre

Paceman
    Free Member

I’m running a Dirt Wizard up front with a Chupacabra on the rear, I didn’t get on with Maxxis Chronicles at all, they clagged up with mud too easily and needed too much tyre pressure to stop the front trying to steer itself. I’ve also used Surly Knards which are a great summer option with lovely high volume and true 3″ width.

Dirt Wizard at 10psi front and a Chupacabra at 12psi rear is the sweet spot for me, both mounted on 50mm rims.

STATO
    Free Member

Standing on it can help but due to the width of the rim you often have to get they tyre quite far across to get it off the bead seat. This is obviously not possible to do just focussing at one point so a tip is to work at removing the tyre over a much larger section of rim than you would normally, so at least a quarter of the rim if not half the wheel.

You might only achieve 1mm of movement at a time at each point you push at it but keep working over the larger distance and you should achieve enough movement at one point to get the tyre off the bead seat.

davidxbrown
    Free Member

David do you notice any issue with the extra tyre weight? (I ride at the back of a fast crew, I need to keep up!)

Matt

Didn’t notice any weight or drag difference at all, I also ride at the back of a fast crew there used to waiting for me 🙂 had it at 14psi next time out going to see what a lower pressure does, not planning on going up.

foureyes
    Free Member

Hi all, where are you getting the Dirt Wizards? and did you go for 60 or 120threads? cheers!

vorlich
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a DW from bike discount. 60tpi version, not fussed about the weight. £80 delivered. Couldn’t find any UK stock.

foureyes
    Free Member

I will have a look there cheers that seems good really!

vorlich
    Free Member

£80 for a bike tyre considered good. We’re mugs. 😛

mattjg
    Free Member

update: assisting tyre dismount with foot worked fine. Chronicle won’t take yet but didn’t try very hard. Again tomorrow.

foureyes
    Free Member

@vorlich lol yes 🙂

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

The Vee Bulldozer…I’m probably going to put one on the front but does anyone know if it will fit on the rear of a Stache, just in case I accidentally adore two?!

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Adore?!? ORDER!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Getting a Chupacabra off? (!)’ is closed to new replies.