Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Get me up to date on trail running shoes.
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Haven’t run for two years and my last pair were Inov8s Flyroc?
    Obviously I’d be a bit sluggish for a new pair of these now. Any sub £60 ideas.
    That’s 100% off road

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nah not for under 60quid. Salomon Sportcross3s here but you can find em cheaper on that ebay.

cp

Love my New Balance 101.

£50 from running shops, cheaper online.

They don’t try to modify your running style, the sole is very flexible, a nice balance (for me) between cushioned and minimal (I don’t get on with most minimal shoes – my joints etc… are too fragile for that)…

But as always, try before you buy, or take a punt with amazon or direct from new balance – easy no hassle returns.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matthewlhome
    Free Member

more than £60, but the new inov8 trailrocs look nice. I have some Brooks Cascadia 7 that i really like, but then i seem to have brooks shaped feet so they are a no brainer choice.

I also have some salomon speedcross 3 for mud / orienteering which are nice, but very soft and flexible, and the insoles seem to be made from sponges.

Pieface

Adidas Kanadia’s if you want something a bit more cushioned.

Much as I like the NB 101’s they’re quite ‘flimsy’ which you may like.

cp

pieface – how do you like the Kanadias compared to the 101’s, fit wise – do they feel similar?

stever
    Free Member

I’m a NB101 fan too. I had to go up half a size though (think Kanadias are a bit small too). The NBs are nice and light – are you light on your feet or do you fancy a bit more cushioning? I tore mine in a (really rocky) race but I won’t hold that against them. Particularly if the warranty replacements turn up.

I’ve also had got on well with Wave Harriers and Roclite 295s as all-rounders.

midlifecrashes

I have New Balance 573 and find them a good compromise of cushion and weight, but haven’t tried many shoes to compare. Cheap enough and Made in UK.

brassneck

I had to go up half a size though (think Kanadias are a bit small too).

I’d agree with that on the Kanadias. I went up half a size and they were perfect.

Those 101s are available in store from Go Outdoors really cheap with a token from their website at the moment – no online ordering unfortunately!

nosemineb
    Free Member

Go outdoors had the inov8 x talon 212 at half price yesterday! Awesome shoe and ive worked my way through most of the inov8 range. I will be getting some more 212’s.

Pieface

Like others I go up a half size on the Kanadia’s (this is common to all Adidas apparently) and I think they are a better fit for my feet than the 101s. I found the 101s very wide across the toe’s which I also found with the Mizuno Wave Harriers.

The Kanadia’s are a nice compromise as an everyday trainer on firm terrain, they are quite ‘tall’ so roll about on uneven ground but are very forgiving on your feet / ankles.

I found the 101’s very sensitive and similar to running in pumps – minimal ankle support (less so than Inov8 Mudclaws) and they force you to run very lightly over rough terrain. I don’t think the 101 is a particularly durable shoe though – the sole is a bit sketchy on non-muddy surfaces and was wearing down much faster than I’d hoped. I also tore the upper on a hidden piece of metal in the undergrowth – this may have happened with other shoes.

I may buy another pair as you can generally get them for £35 so to that end they’re a bargain, but as I’m trying to limit my number of shoes I’m going to stick with the Kanadia’s for my daily training runs on trails. I also find that the fit of the Kanadia’s is better (closer) so gives more confidence in most situations, I also think they’re grippier. They’d be good for the occassional fell run but I wouldn’t like them on very uneven terrain due to the ‘height’ of the sole.

In summary unless you particularly like a ‘minimal’ style shoe I’d recommend the Kanadia’s for your running and budget. You should be able to find a pair of Kanadia’s for about £40. Also available in garish colours to suit.

However finding a good pair of shoes for me is similar to some peoples experiecnes with tyres – some you’ll love and some you’ll hate.

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of NB101s that I use for distance running (15 miles plus) and appear to be very durable.
    My advice, especially if you’re just getting back into it would be to go for something as low profile with as little cushioning as possible.
    a. you will naturally run lighter and give joints less of a hard time.
    b. less susceptible to going over on your ankle.

However, it will feel odd if you aren’t used to running with minimal cushioning initially. But IMO, well worth the effort.

spawnofyorkshire

i’m now into my third pair of kanadias. Def buy half a size up from normal.
    I use them for running on and off road as well as hockey

Whilst i find them v comfortable and a good fit they do wear down quite quickly and the fabric bits on the side near the toes rip easily if you’re twisting alot

field and trek have loads at approx £40

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d agree on two points raised above..

Go up .5 of a size for trail running.

Speedcross3’s insoles are indeed too spongy and I’ve changed mine for some others Snow & Rock had in store.
    Soles are rugged but wear on tarmac so steer clear (like I do, can’t stand road running)
    Just ordered another pair in Yellow, ohhh get me..

spawnofyorkshire

just spotted a new variant of the kanadia
    http://www.fieldandtrek.com/adidas-kanadia-xc-mens-trail-running-shoes-213174
    not released until next march though 🙁 shame as the grips look better suited for hockey

richardk
    Free Member

Asics gel enduro 7’s here. Bit more cushioning than previous trail shoes which I like as my runs take me on a mix of terrains. Quick search found them at £40

higgo
    Free Member

I need a bit of cushioning as most of my ‘trail’ runs involve some tarmac. If I run from home it’s half a mile to the canal path and back. If I run from work it’s half a mile to the path into the woods.

Asics and Saucony seem to fit my feet but over time I’ve ended up using Asics for road and Saucony for trail. At the moment, I’m in the Saucony Xodus 2.0 which suit me as they’re like a road shoe but with a (Vibram) trail sole. I’ve heard the Xodus 3.0 is a lower profile shoe though.

Pieface

I also used the Adizero XC3s, however the lugs in the sole are too big.

Another thing I didn’t like about the 101s was the wafer thin sole – you feel every stone you tread on

IMO go down half a size for fell / trail as I prefer a closer fit, hence the Adidas I go up half a size rather than a full size as per the shops recommendation

jota180
    Free Member

I get on well with Mizuno Wave Ascend 6 – can be had online for £50 ish

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006SU4P16

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

You’ll only really need cushioning if there is more than 4 – 6mm of heel height differential. It’s that that makes you ‘think’ that you need cushioning.

surfer
    Free Member

which suit me as they’re like a road shoe but with a (Vibram) trail sole.

I run a lot on mixed terrain and always wear Nike shoes which give enough grip with the waffle sole for most surfaces, Saucony have there own version which is also very good.
    I use a fell shoe only when runniong or racing on the fells where the extra grip is needed. I like the feel of a “training” shoe with some midsole cushioning as long as the off road is just path/fields/bridleway type stuff, often there are road streches to link things up.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Get me up to date on trail running shoes.’ is closed to new replies.