Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Get in there… (Cold calling content)
  • matt_outandabout

My wind up technique for the “Road Traffic Bureau” on behalf of “The Government” was so good I got him to swear, shout, rant about liars and hope I go to hell before Christmas… 😆

The small things in life please sometimes….

nickhit3
    Free Member

what was it then?

johndoh
    Free Member

Beats the best I had where they called me back to tell me I was rude.

cardo

I claim to have got amnesia in an accident, which makes answering their questions interesting, they get bored and leave me alone after a couple of minutes… its fair game as far as i’m concerned.

DrP

nah, just play the ‘yes’ game.
    simply answer ‘yes’ to all the questions. only say yes.

To stary with, it works…

Is that DrP? Yes
    Were you sold PPI/in an accident/previously a woman? Yes

You get the idea..

DrP

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I like taking Indian call centre spammers off script. And telling them that Tendulkar was massively over rated. 😈

DrP, a variant…. As soon as they ask a question, such as “Is that DrP?” simply reply with, “Let me just go and check”. Put phone down, but don’t hang up. Go about your day. Many are on auto dial and they can’t hang up on you!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Change your tone every other word, become angry, passive, mild, moody then tell them the kids are eating the dog (or the other way around.
    If the caller then asks “can I call you at a more convenient time” reply yes, heres my Lawyers number.

matt_outandabout

Jondoh – them calling back to say you are rude is spectacular!

I just went with the enough information and vague interest to waste a few minutes, without telling them anything of myself.
    Then just point blank calling them out as a scam and a liar, and asking if thier mum knew what they did at work….

tjagain

I’ve done ” that sounds interesting, just hang on a mo” and put the phone aside. got one womon who phoned me back to say that we must have been cut off. when put in the picture she got very angry indeed about me wasting hertime, much to my amusement

jekkyl

dinnae bother, just hang up

Coyote
    Free Member

Then just point blank calling them out as a scam and a liar, and asking if their mum knew what they did at work…

Pretty much what I do too.

leffeboy

I used the DrP yes technique on a phone system where 8 didn’t speak the language today. Just kept pressing 2 until I got to a real person and then asked my question.

Worked perfectly. Will do again

franksinatra

I quite enjoy the wibble method

[video]https://youtu.be/qIpYP183zDQ[/video]

Just don’t do it straight away as they might hang up to early.

franksinatra

Dyson vacuum scam woman called me back to tell me I was rude. It then occurred to me that there is a chance these people don’t know they are actually part of a scam

bullandbladder
    Free Member

My usual low-brow response is to just yell bad words and hang up. I did actually have one call me back to ask what he’d done to deserve being told to f*** off. So I told him again.

kcal

I’ve strung them along for a while and been accused of wasting their time as well; that was interesting. “I think you’ll find you phoned me…”

ski
    Free Member

A few years back when I had more spare time at work, I had a cold caller on speaker phone pretending that I was a shouty vet performing an operation on a cat, kept cutting the caller short to shout at my imaginary veterinarian nurse who was botching the operation up!

After what seemed like a lifetime and with quite a bit of ad-libbing form others in the office, we even got the cold caller to call back the next day to see if the cat was ok!

🙂

drslow
    Free Member

Just for balance, my 18yo daughter took up a position in a local call centre last year. Min wage but bonus structure for referrals. Basically she had to cold call and generate interest in a product or service (cant remember exactly but not illegal), once someone was interested she referred them to a ‘manager’ to do the deal. Cant quite remember what the product was.

In the 4 weeks she endured it she had no referrals but had clocked up 40 odd hours. She then left as it was demoralising and very high pressure. They then never paid her the minimum wage, lied to her and messed her about with broken promises. Her mum and I then discovered there was no written contract. She was ready to just write it off, however we went to visit the ‘manager’. Cue a load of excuses when threatened with every legal thing we could think of.

The ‘manager’ then got my wife to sign a blank sheet of paper saying they needed a signature to authorise the release of funds????? End result was she got paid, but her pal who had worked there longer got paid nothing as she hadn’t complained.

We then reported them to HMRC but havent followed up if they got investigated.

They don’t just scam their customers!

uselesshippy
    Free Member

An accident claims company called me a “money grabbing barstard” All I wanted to do was sue the tree that I crashed my bike into.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

If it’s a sub continent call centre and the heavily accented guy opens with ” Hello my name is Steve….”

I ask how I can believe anything he says as he won’t even tell me his real name. That normally throws them.

If they persist I tell them it won’t be long before the Chinese or the Pakistani’s will nuke the hell out of them. I normally get the phone put down on me at that point.

Boiler room share sellers I’ll string along a bit before asking for their FCA number.

zippykona

My current one is telling them that I have to run a security check before I can talk to them. I ask them to enter their 4 digit number. Some say they don’t have a number ,so I ask for random letters from their password. If they can’t do that I just tell them I can’t talk to them.
    Some of them pretend they’ve put the number in and I tell them that’s not what we have on our records.No matter what they supposedly put in,it doesn’t match our records.
    It’s so infuriating when I call up a company and it happens to me I thought I’d get my own back.

vickypea
    Free Member

Dyson vacuum scam woman called me back to tell me I was rude. It then occurred to me that there is a chance these people don’t know they are actually part of a scam

What’s the Dyson scam?

Stedlocks
    Free Member

I normally just go off tangent with…
    ‘Have you got a window there?’
    Is it hot outside?’
    ‘ why aren’t you sunbathing?’…then

‘ I wish I was allowed outside……….I can’t even see the daylight for another 15 years……’

This normally ends it!

My mate got an Indian call centre so wound up with the password thing mentioned above, that they called him a ‘mother lover!’ Or similar, before slamming the phone down on him!!

aracer
    Free Member

I once spent the whole of a call with a Microsoft scammer refusing to follow his script and attempting to ascertain his company’s DPA registration details, pointing out that if they knew there was a problem with my computer they must be holding personal details on me. I was surprised how long he kept trying to return to the script despite making no progress at all with it. Another similar one I just kept asking how they knew there was a problem with my computer and how they were hacking me – again he persisted for a long time. I presume it must have sounded like I was taking them seriously so might be a potential victim.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I once spent the whole of a call with a Microsoft scammer

“There is a problem with your computer”

“Which one?”

“The one you are using now”

“I’m using twelve. Is it the red one? Maybe the green one over there by the window” Etc…..

I_did_dab
    Free Member

I now ask “Is this a UK company?” then ask for their details so I can report them to ofcom as we are on the telephone preference service. The last lot got cross and phoned me repeatedly thoughout the day. I answered but said nothing and waited for them to hang up. We haven’t had any calls since
    Oh the fun you can have when you’re off work with a broken neck…

Cougar

A few years back when I had more spare time at work, I had a cold caller on speaker phone pretending that I was a shouty vet performing an operation on a cat, kept cutting the caller short to shout at my imaginary veterinarian nurse who was botching the operation up!

After what seemed like a lifetime and with quite a bit of ad-libbing form others in the office, we even got the cold caller to call back the next day to see if the cat was ok!

That’s superb.

If it’s a sub continent call centre and the heavily accented guy opens with ” Hello my name is Steve….”

The counter to that is “hi Steve, I’m Abdul.”

What’s the Dyson scam?

They call you up and try to suck you in.

andyrm
    Free Member

Just for balance, my 18yo daughter took up a position in a local call centre last year.

^^ Great words in your post mate. Sadly, lots of people who need the money take call centre jobs to make ends meet, just as some take warehouse jobs etc. It depends on the primary employment in that region.

I always try to treat them with respect and get off the phone as swiftly and politely as possible. Not only does that free up my time, it means the caller hits their daily call target and so hopefully gets their next shift (these are frequently zero hours contracts), enabling them still to eat.

As far as I’m aware, there’s never an excuse to waste their time or be rude. Just firmly but politely say you’re not interested and end the call.

aracer
    Free Member

If they’re working for a legit call centre selling legit stuff – I’ll be polite and say no thanks in that case. However being on TPS I shouldn’t really get any of those, hence those I do get are at best in the grey area – though I’m still polite to those “doing a survey”.

I’m not sure why scammers deserve such politeness – if they hit their daily call target they’re more likely to scam an innocent victim, so the more of their time I can waste the better.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If they’re working for a legit call centre selling legit stuff – I’ll be polite and say no thanks in that case. However being on TPS I shouldn’t really get any of those, hence those I do get are at best in the grey area – though I’m still polite to those “doing a survey”.

I’m not sure why scammers deserve such politeness – if they hit their daily call target they’re more likely to scam an innocent victim, so the more of their time I can waste the better.

^^This^^

onehundredthidiot

The scammers absolutely deserve it. My parent’s neighbours fell for Microsoft one. They wanted £350 to fix a five year old desktop. My dad sorted it with a Google search, not difficult given he hasn’t figured out how to attach a photo to email.

I went through many minutes of the Microsoft one, really struggled to find the windows key “it should be bottom left of keyboard”, “nope it’s not there, we keep all the spare keys in a drawer in the kitchen”, “have you been wasting my time?”, “er, yes”.

aracer
    Free Member

This reminds me, it’s a while since I’ve had the MS scammers on, must be about due another one. Need to sort out a disposable VM ready for them (though have to be a bit careful with my own security, given I don’t have a separate VM server sandboxing everything any more).

womble72
    Free Member

I once had an Indian chap call about the ‘problem I’m having with my internet connection’

When I said, this is a scam isn’t it? Let me guess, you’ll either put me through to an ‘engineer’ or I’ll have to access a link you provide me and enter details etc etc the guy exploded and shouted “**** you, you mother f**ker”. To which I replied that his customer service skills need a bit of work, he carried on ranting and said “go **** my mothers p****y”. I explained that my mother had passed away a few years ago so if his was free then I might be tempted…. but only if she’s a looker coz I’m quite particular? Apparently the guy said he was going to slit my throat before hanging up.

Haven’t had a scam call since then.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I like the Microsoft one. Put on an old man voice, keep them on the phone for ages, then ask if it matters that the computer has a picture of an apple on it.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Years back we had a cold call from a guy trying to sell us a conservatory. I agreed for him to come round and advise us what he could do.

We lived in an Edwardian terrace in west London. He arrived at the scheduled time, I let him into the shared entrance and told him ‘we’re in the upstairs flat’….

Fair play to him, he gave a rueful smile and asked about our windows.

Cougar

^^This^^

That.

There’s a gulf between legitimate companies making innocuous but annoying cold calls, and scammers. (And TPS ‘should’ filter out the former anyway.)

The notion that you should be polite to “Steve” calling on behalf of Microsoft from the Indian Subcontinent because they’re only trying to earn a crust is bogus, they’re criminals.

markgraylish
    Free Member

It mystifies me why anybody even picks up the phone for an unknown number, let alone wastes their own time talking to some random person.
    My rule is..if I don’t recognise the number, let it go to voicemail. If it’s genuine and important, they can leave a message and I’ll call them back.
    Otherwise, they’re completely ignored…
    I won’t even answer the door bell at home unless I know friends are calling around…

FuzzyWuzzy

I tried a version of Liam Neeson’s Taken speech on one but they hung up before I could finish 🙁

leffeboy

It mystifies me why anybody even picks up the phone for an unknown number, let alone wastes their own time talking to some random person.

Because some big companies don’t show their numbers when then call so you can’t get back through unless you know the number. So if my wife or my dad called me it showed as unknown 🙁

Otherwise I would agree

The other downside is JUST occasionally they are useful. My wife once picked up a call and it was someone doing a survey on local cycling infrastructure. That one really screwed us as now we feel we have to pick up just in case…

leffeboy

And the other great one with calls from call centres in India about your problem with a Microsoft product – that’s exactly the call back you get if you raise a ticket in your business Office365 account :). I’ve got to be careful when they first call to make sure it is genuine and i haven’t just forgotten about raising a problem

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Get in there… (Cold calling content)’ is closed to new replies.