Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Get in the back of the van! – VW SWB
  • Premier Icon sandwicheater

Tempted by a VW T6 SWB Kombi.

Ideally want the split 3 seats in the rear (1seat/2 seat set up)

Anyone else have similar and mind sharing how you get on with bikes in the back?

Photos of bike laden van would be ace.

Will likely be a daily driver and has to be SWB for ease of life.

Premier Icon willstaffs
    Free Member

I have one with 3 seat bench in the back, I have an extra large dog crate and can fit my XL Giant Trance 27.5 in with wheels on and my wife’s XS hardtail with front wheel off.

If it didn’t have the dog crate you could fit 3 or 4 without much faff.

Premier Icon sandwicheater

Cheers willstaffs, ours will have a similar dog crate so that’s good to know.

Premier Icon Wookster

I e got a 5.1. Leave the single seat out and the bike(s) go in the open seatless side as there’s a huge dog crate on the other side.

Premier Icon jam-bo

If it didn’t have the dog crate you could fit 3 or 4 without much faff.

unless the magiced up a load more space in the back of a T6 SWB, vs a T5 SWB, I disagree.

One or two go in easily but at an angle, three or four full size bike and you really start to run out of room.

Premier Icon willstaffs
    Free Member

The back wheel of the XL is wedged between the seat and side of the van with the front wheel turned. With the dog crate out I had a 29er trance and my XL trance in with wheels on with a fair amount of room in the middle left.

I’m quite lucky that my wife’s bikes are XS so with front wheel off they slot in anywhere!

Cheers again.

Won’t typically have more that two adult bikes in at a time.

When i’ve had need for more bikes, won’t be with the dog and can jiggle the seats about or take wheels off.

Premier Icon phil5556

Don’t discount the LWB, it’s not a big van, I drove one for about 7 years as my only vehicle. If you want minimum faff you’ll need the LWB as they’ll go in with the wheels on.

Premier Icon piha
    Free Member

OP – I have the exact van you mention and I have been able to get 3 bikes in without removing any seats.

Premier Icon doomanic

If you’re taking wheels off to fit bikes into a van you’ve got the wrong van…

Premier Icon lister

SWB T5 here. 2 bikes with wheels go diagonally across the rear space no bother; bungeed to the rear headrests.
    When I sleep in the van by myself I take the single out so the bike fits full length down the gap.
    When all four of us go out then the bikes fit with the front wheels off but you can keep the rears on (unless you have a mega long and slack 29er I guess).

Premier Icon tomnavman

We’ve got exactly the van you describe but in LWB. Honestly, its 40cm longer – go for it, it makes life so much easier. Even a SWB doesn’t easily fit in normal car park spaces, so the LWB is just as easy to park in real life.

We have had 4+ bikes in complete but they don’t pack very well, I find the easiest way is to drop the front wheels off and then lash them all together to the side of the van using a long strap and the load points on the floor. This then gives loads of room for kit.

I’ve just invested in 2 rocky mounts which I have mounted on a plank which runs full width and is held down on the load points – 2 bikes held securely with 0 faff.

I’m not sure I’d get my L RocketMax in a SWB, even with the front wheel off – the back wheel is against the back seat, and the bars are not 40cm from the tailgate!

Premier Icon benp1

Would love to see pics of bikes in a SWB

My large solaris will fit in my SWB T6 Kombi diagonally, but then won’t fit many other bikes in. Single seat out in the rear would create a lot more space, or wheels off

Premier Icon AnyExcuseToRide

If you can, I would recommend going for the LWB for less faff and more robustness. We have an LWB T5 minibus (nowt fancy as it’s 2004). We guide groups with it if they’re 4 or less and it is ideal with the back row of seats out. We can fit 4 bikes in just nicely without taking any wheels off, this involves turning the front wheel a bit in each bike, with the length of modern bikes they are jusssst the right length to close the boot. You could probably fit a 5th in there without taking wheels off but it would he a bit more faff.

Another bonus is it is just the right length the sleep in the back with just the rear (3rd) row of seats out (I’m 5’11”).

We really don’t find it a big car, I think it’s 5.5m and standard parking bays are 5m long but I’ve never had any trouble with it in town or in tight spaces.

Cheers all.

Reckon we’re going to hire both SWB/LWB and see how Mrs Sandwhicheater gets on.

We’ve a Mondeo estate at present which i’d not realised was about the same length as the SWB.

I’d been discounting the LWB but what’s 40cm among friends.

Premier Icon phil5556

I nearly bought an Audi A6 I few years ago, but didn’t as we took the LWB T5 when we went to view it and parked next to it. The A6 looked nearly as big = a LWB T5 isn’t much bigger than a A6.

I’ve actually just googled and a SWB is actually shorter than an A6. LWB just a foot longer.

Premier Icon andy8442
    Free Member

I have a bulk head in my Kombi, and the the best way is always to take the front wheels off and the bikes will fit across the back, no problem, 5 in total.

Premier Icon ready
    Free Member

Piha – What size bikes do you have? I’d love to see how you can fit 3. Can you post up a couple of pics please?

Premier Icon CrispyCSW
    Free Member

SWB Kombi is fine for 2 x bikes diagonally across bungied to the headrest, even with super long XL enduro bikes. You can also fit 5 bikes (and associated kit) with front wheel off, top & tailing them across the van for days when you need to fit a few friends in.

Don’t think I’d go LWB unless I was planning to convert it.

Premier Icon digga
    Free Member

ready
    Free Member

Piha – What size bikes do you have? I’d love to see how you can fit 3. Can you post up a couple of pics please?

Balance bike pics incoming….

FWIW:

1.) Unless you have very small bikes, with piddling little wheels, there is no way you can get more than two in with all seats in situ.

2.) Taking seats out is not impossible, but a faff and requires storage.

3.) Have run T5 and T6. All newer vans with the AdBlue and DPF are a PITA. A mate has a Vito and his has had issues related to this too. At work we also have Amarok which also has (different to T6) issues.

Premier Icon doomanic

Surely, the OP needs a Tardis Berlingo, apparently you can fit the entire TDF peloton in the back of one of those…

Premier Icon spooky_b329

Will likely be a daily driver and has to be SWB for ease of life.

You’ll only ever notice the extra 40cm if you regular use on street parallel parking, but a rear camera makes up for a lot of the extra length 🙂

As a daily driver, you’ll notice width but length is pretty much irrelevant.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.