Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Get 'em out for the lads – celeriac recipes, that is
  • ourmaninthenorth

As title. Need to do something simple and interesting with a celeriac with/for dinner tonight (usually it goes into soups, but ICBA making soup).

Suggestions? Main or side.

Ta.

AdamW
    Free Member

Lightly fried (or is it steamed?) with pasta and mozarella/fresh basil.

richen987
    Free Member

Celearic mash is really nice, make it as normal mash add in some cooked onion strips and then a little bit of light chedder melted on the top, nice with anything i find.

you could do that as a side or you could cook up some cod/white fish and mix that in as big chunks for a brandad of a kind would be nice.

MrNutt
    Free Member

remoulade!

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

it makes really nice chips [ with horseradish or garlic mayo ]

or you can shred it into salads for a bit of crunch and taste

ourmaninthenorth

Cheers.

Having thought about what else is in the fridge, I think I’ll make a chilli tonight. So celeriac mash would make a suitable idiet way-of-eating-that-dare-not-speak-its-name friendly dish.

*has a think about what else is in the cupboard*

atlaz
    Free Member

Don’t boil it in water. It soaks water up like a sponge and makes really awful mash. Basically put enough milk in the pan to cover the celeriac (sometimes nice to throw a clove or two of garlic too) then cook as a normal mash or even better as a puree if you have the right tools. Loads of butter and milk/cream, excellent.

Remoulade is a definite favourite of mine too.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s lovely in a gratin with double cream, anchovies, rosemary, black pepper.

That’s what I’ve doing with mine this week anyway.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Yotam Otolenghi’s Celeriac and Beetroot Gratin was very tasty last night as main course. A bit involved though.

Was similar to this recipe

ourmaninthenorth

Dairy isn’t happening.

I’ve found this Jamie Oliver recipe which looks like it could work:

CLICKY

Remoulade involves mayonnaise. Never been a massive fan of mayo….

molgrips
    Free Member

Post deleted. I’m thinking of fennel 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Post deleted. I’m thinking of fennel

Post it up – I’ve a fennel I need to do something with tomorrow.

sunnrider
    Free Member

If you want to use it as a side dish then make a simple romescu style dip.

Roast the celeriac with some aubergine,red peppers,one clove of garlic and a few tomatoes. Fry up some hazelnuts or pinenuts.
    Peel the peppers when they´re done and blitz the lot in a food processor with some olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste.

ourmaninthenorth

sunnrider – nice! (don’t have an aubergine at home today, but next time..!)

zilog6128

Don’t boil it in water. It soaks water up like a sponge and makes really awful mash.

Yes it soaks up more water than potatoes but I’ve not found it to be a problem. Makes great mash IMO. YMMV. I suppose you could steam it otherwise.

OP: butter and (proper) cream are not particularly insulinogenic so are OK on the forbidden diet (unless you happen to be intolerant of course!)

molgrips
    Free Member

Post it up – I’ve a fennel I need to do something with tomorrow.

At the Village Hotel I had sea bass with fennel, it appeared to be fried up, and it was served with a soy sauce and chilli dressing/sauce and some watercress. It’s delicious!

sugdenr
    Free Member

I just slice it thinly and give it some lemon juice and decent olive oil, often have that with chilli.

ocrider

Cubed and fried with lardons and honey, which is halfway to a rabbit and cider stew in this house.

For the fennel, slice, fry in butter til it starts browning then add chicken stock. Juice of half a lemon stirred in just before serving.

motivforz
    Free Member

Peel then Cut into thin wedges. Chuck in oven dish, cover with olive oil by shaking about, then loads of curry powder and roast for about 40 minutes. Par boil for 3 minutes before roasting if you are in a rush.

ourmaninthenorth

Zilog – interesting.

Molly – have done it with seabass before. Classic recipe.

I fear I may have put the fried cubes into too much water (300ml). Let’s see….

molgrips
    Free Member

Well?

ourmaninthenorth

Since it wasn’t mashed, but smashed*, its consistency was odd. Not as dry as mashed potato. Was just made with garlic, salt and pepper and tasted bloody great with the chilli I knocked up.

Leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Slowly getting back into cooking and eating properly. Spent all evening in the kitchen near enough (except when running Toddler North’s bath, lighting the fire, speaking/emailing/texting with my boss several times). Just sat down..!

(c) Jamie “Fat Lips” Oliver

landcruiser
    Free Member

Quality thread !!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Get 'em out for the lads – celeriac recipes, that is’ is closed to new replies.