Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • George Foreman grills – Cleaning the goop?
  • GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for easy disposing or handling of the oily watery goop which runs off of “george foreman” style grills?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Napalm

GrahamS

Make it into soup?

Deep fry it and sell it to the Scottish?

RustySpanner

Sell it to tubeless converts as ‘Organic Latex’?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Deep fry it and sell it to the Scottish?

Hmm, that does sound oddly feasible.

molgrips
    Free Member

Scrape it into the compost, that’s what we do. Or you could just make gravy with it.

BTW rusty, latex is organic, it comes from trees.

RustySpanner

Doh!

Reminder to self, engage brain and search memory banks before posting.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Just pour it down the sink, or into the bog!

S’organic, anyway. Unlike the detergent in wash-up liquid. Which goes down the sink. Or the bleach/bog cleaner, etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

Fat in drains Rudeboy is a major cause of problems for the water companies. Costs millions each year to clean out all the solidified gunk.

Bin it, don’t flush it.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Drink it, will put hairs on your chest, eyeballs & larynx, for starters! 😉

cp

it’s illegal to put fat down the sewers apparently…

mos

I don’t understand what you mean.

I thought the whole point of the GF was that you end up with a tray of juice to dip your bread in or pour over your chips?

Poindexter
    Free Member

If you jack the front end up, fat doesn’t run out and your food tastes miles better.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

You dirty buggers.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I eat it with a spoon while the stuff is cooking.

*waddles out of thread*

mrsflash
    Free Member

We got round this dilemma by binning the grill as it was a piece of sh1t.

molgrips
    Free Member

We got round this dilemma by binning the grill as it was a piece of sh1t.

Why? We like ours. Not for the wannabe masterchef efforts of course, but it did its job.

GrahamS

When we moved house we did without a cooker/hob for almost a year.

We cooked everything with a George Foreman, steamer and a microwave and we actually ended up eating fairly healthily!

The Foreman eventually got knackered and starting causing the circuit breakers to trip every time it was used.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Costs millions each year to clean out all the solidified gunk.

So? We pay them billions every year, to do just that.

I dare say it costs a tad more, to remove bleach, detergents and all the other stuff that goes down the drain.

And they can turn the fat into fuel.

Bastards.£300 a year, for a 1-bed flat??? If I had a meter, it would be less than half that, but will they install a meter? Will they ****. Right, so my fat goes down the drain. **** ’em.

GrahamS

More to the point, the fat will block your own household pipes – giving a fragrant old chip shop stink and potentially meaning an expensive call to a plumber.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Why? We like ours. Not for the wannabe masterchef efforts of course, but it did its job.

Ours seemed to take about an hour to cook anything. It was just rubbish.

molgrips
    Free Member

So? We pay them billions every year, to do just that.

No, we pay them to supply water. If you are concerned about the high price of your bills then MAYBE IT’S BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO SPEND TONS OF MONEY CLEANING FAT OUT OF THE DRAINS!

Life is more interesting if you use your brain rudey. I know you’ve got one 🙂

Mrsflash – maybe yours was faulty then. Ours cooks dead fast, so much so that I’m always overestimating the time it’ll take and the meat is always done too early or I over-do it.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

WE’ve got an Aldi (or Lidl?) rip-off of the george foreman type health grills – and it’s great!
    You can fold out each half like a hotplate to heat up more stuff, the non-stick finish is tougher, it’s bigger & the heat is controllable – for much less than half the price than an equivalent G-F one. 🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Fat in the drains is not nearly as big a problem as all the other pollutants they have to get rid of. Like diesel, motor/engineering oil, alcohol solvent stuff, all the hydrochlorwhatsits, etc. Organic waste is ultimately biodegradable.

S’just propaganda. Sure, my bit of bacon fat adds to the problem, but it’s like them telling you to switch lights off to save energy, when big office blocks have all their lights blazing away all the time.

No, the problem is not ordinary households, and a bit of fat, but cars and industry. Ordinary households are an easier target, though.

aP
    Free Member

rb – trouble is the fat clogs your pipes before they get to the sewers and then cause “eruptions” at home. Its a lot easier to pour it into a pot to cool and solidify then leave it out for bird food.
    There used to be enormous fat stalactites in sewers – choice!

spooky_b329

your wrong rudeboy. All the other contaminants flow down the sewers to the treatment places where they can be dealt with.
    Fat on the other hand sticks to the sewer and causes them to clog. Luckily most people arn’t so shortsighted as you. Hope your drains clog soon, maybe you’ll think twice after coughing up for Dynorod to sort it out.
    Urea is one of the biggest problems (piss). Its highly concentrated but gets diluted into all the other waste water and costs loads to treat. There are toilets specially designed to seperate it but then it has to be treated on site.

molgrips
    Free Member

No, the problem is not ordinary households, and a bit of fat, but cars and industry. Ordinary households are an easier target, though.

That’s a ridiculous attitude. You have a moral responsibility to do your bit. Doesn’t matter what other people do. If we all calculated our potential for doing good/saving energy/whatever and then decided it wasn’t worth since it’s a tiny proportion of the whole, then nothing would ever get done.

Oh wait… 🙄

flyingmonkeycorps

Just leave it in the tray overnight and George will come and slurp it all up personally, like Santa in reverse.

He loves the fat.

donald
    Free Member

They are surprisingly good for grilling aubergines.

Nothing worse than a soggy moussaka.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘George Foreman grills – Cleaning the goop?’ is closed to new replies.