Geoff Bycott Knighthood deserved or not ?

• This topic has 48 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by  nickc.
Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Geoff Bycott Knighthood deserved or not ?
  • @ bikebouy, convert, mefty

Thanks to the three of you. For those of us with no domain knowledge in these areas it’s really good to have some reasoned and informed comment.

Premier Icon kilo
    Subscriber

He is certainly not a misogynist

Was it not mentioned above about his numerous over the side antics and he’s displayed a grandiose and cocky side to Marta Kearney very recently – sounds fairly misogynistic behaviour. Oh and of course he beats women up.

ransos

He is revered as a broadcaster throughout the world, especially in India, which I suggest makes it unlikely that he is a racist – although ill judged and offensive remarks were made in 2017

Racist comments, you mean. Oh, and he beat up his girlfriend.

But he was good at cricket so it doesn’t matter.

IHN

He is certainly not a misogynist, he much prefers the company of women to men

Yep, that’s exactly how it works.

He is revered as a broadcaster throughout the world, especially in India, which I suggest makes it unlikely that he is a racist

And that.

*insert rolly-eyed emoji here*

Blackflag

Its amazing how those who like someone for what they do, can ignore all the other vile traits they exhibit.

If you are not sure if he is a misogynist who beats women or not, please refer to the fact he had a full trial in a fully democratic country, and lost. I’m not sure any alternate sources or opinions can outweigh that one.

kerley

Its amazing how those who like someone for what they do, can ignore all the other vile traits they exhibit.

It just tells you all you need to know about the person. Are they ignoring the vile traits or making excuses for them or even worse don’t see a problem with the vile traits.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

His numbers don’t lie

Sure, but he wasn’t above making sure that he was “unavailable to play” when he knew that he would be facing pace bowlers for which it was widely known that he wasn’t great defensively or might have an impact on his season average His fellow team members have often remarked that while he was an individually outstanding batsman, he couldn’t or wouldn’t see how his individual performance and that of the team he was playing for might have different requirements, that often meant he put his own needs first.

gobuchul

Now I’m not sticking up for Boycott but there was a really interesting radio show on R4 the other day. Talking to Strangers looked at the Amanda Knox trial and how she came across. It also considered certain personality types are a lot more likely to get found guilty when they are innocent.

Episode 4 I think, or it could of been Episode 3.

Boycott certainly showed some of the personality traits discussed.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

…but does someone who has a genuine complaint instruct their lawyer to ask for cash compensation to withdraw the complaint when beaten that badly? You would want him branded the abuser he was. She was being sued by other people at the time for money owed. Splitting up with Boycott was going to cut off her main income stream and seamingly she was in financial strife already

From memory, that was largely Boycott’s defence. Moore asked for and was awarded 1 franc in symbolic damages. and lets remember there were 3 hearings, all of which found him guilty.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.