Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • Gentlemen of a certain age. Your favourite drummers ?
  • loughor
    Free Member

I’ve bought a large amount of Thin Lizzy early recordings ! Downey ! Wow !
    Bonham ? Powell ? Paice ?
    Who else ?

devbrix
    Free Member

nobbingsford

Stewart Copeland.

solarider
    Free Member

Peart – always looked awkward but sadly missed

Bonham – of course!

Van Halen – a little messy but an amazing rock drummer.

Porcaro – ability and attitude

McBrain – metronomic but amazing skills.

Gadd – a real musician’s drummer

And then the amazing drummers wasted in lesser bands:

Steve Smith, Simon Philips

If anybody mentions Ulrich I am cancelling my subscription! It’s almost a cliche but he really is awful!

theotherjonv

Stephen Morris

Mike Joyce – maybe not as a solo drummer in the same way, but while when people say the Smiths and instantly think of Morrissey and Marr, they completely miss how good ‘the others’ were and what an important part of the sound they brought.

loughor
    Free Member

Joyce ! Good call 👍 neil Peart yup !

salad_dodger

Neil Peart obviously but also a big fan of Gavin Harrison.

joelowden

Saw Brian Downey a couple of years ago with his Live and Dangerous band. He’s still got it .
    ….And Manu Catche.

sharkattack

Jojo Mayer

loughor
    Free Member

All the above are wonderful suggestions 🙏 perhaps my Lizzy fascination is blinding me.

duncancallum

No love for cozy Powell?

lesgrandepotato

Reni

kayak23

Brendan Canty – Fugazi
    Amazing and distinctive sound.

slowoldman

John Bonham
    Bill Bruford

avdave2

Chris Sharrock

cyclelife
    Free Member

McBrain and Buddy Rich, different genres and eras – both great.

firestarter
    Free Member

Bill ward with sabbath, used to always like Phil Collins as it goes, Danny carey and Jay Weinberg are probably my current favourites

p7eaven
    Free Member

Love drumms/drummin and have enjoyed/enjoy listening to/watching so many (starting with Moon and Bonham), so I’ll have to do a top ten 12 in no particular order)

Christian Vander (Magma)
    Terry Bozzio (Zappa)
    Bill Ward (Black Sabbath)
    John Weathers (Gentle Giant)
    Yoshimi P-We (Boredoms, OOIOO)
    John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
    Jaki Liebezeit (Can)
    Keith Moon (The Who)
    Tony Allen (Fela Kuti)
    Andy Ramsay (Stereolab)
    Neil Peart (Rush)

Also feel a need to shout out for younger drummers

J D Beck (human DnB/in the pocket/mad drops)

Camille Bigeault (polyrhythms and attitude)

edlong
    Free Member

How is this not just a list of Ginger Baker?

Inbred456
    Free Member

Surprised there are no Ginger Baker recommendations. Although I guess he would see himself as a musician rather than just a drummer. A complex sometimes horrible character but what a drummer. Asked one time about Bonham “ he’s got technique but he couldn’t swing a sack of sh!t!”

For me James “Jimmy” Owen Sullivan (February 9, 1981 – December 28, 2009),[1] also known by his stage name The Rev. Avenged Sevenfold drummer.
    Great backing vocalist as well.

loughor
    Free Member

Thank you all ! Baker yes. Downey I can’t get past ! Wow 😎

Klunk
    Free Member

Rick Buckler, the Jam

p7eaven
    Free Member

Surprised there are no Ginger Baker recommendations

Knew that someone else would so I used the space for Tony Allen. He taught Ginger a thing or two, (if maybe not quite three 😉 )

Also: Clyde Stubblefield. Also: like Tony Allen (with afrobeat) he invented a whole genre of drumming/music (funk)

salad_dodger

Good shout for Jimmy Sullivan. Superb all round musician and songwriter. Lots of people will probably disagree because they don’t rate Avenged Sevenfold but he really was and still is rated highly by his peers.

sc-xc

Rob Heaton.

And I’ve been listening to a lot of early Queen recently, Roger Taylor is very musical.

Harry_the_Spider

Clem Burke – Blondie

DrJ

Cindy Blackman

/thread

p7eaven
    Free Member

^ Amazing, but rather than ending thread she reminded me that I forgot to add Michael Shrieve 🥁😎

ricko1984
    Free Member

John Stainer – Battles/ Helmet
    Greg Saunier – Deerhoof
    Shigeto
    Moses Boyd
    Drum machine – Godflesh 😅

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Harry beat me to it. Clem Burke, absolutely superb drummer. Also Copeland.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Bill Bruford.

funkmasterp

Bill Ward and Brant Bjork for me. Ward was brilliant, especially on the first couple of Sabbath albums. Brant Bjork isn’t very well known but his work with Kyuss and Fu Manchu was great.

I also love Ginger Baker and Matt Cameron’s work with Soundgarden. I don’t know much about drumming but for me those four just sound good.

BillMC

Ginger Baker without a doubt

Garry_Lager

Reni is unique – one of the greatest musicians of his generation and he’s made two albums. Done nothing substantial outside of the Roses.

This would usually be down to the artist being some sort of self-destructive drug-crazed genius. Or such a wild temperament that no one can work with them. But Reni seems the total opposite of that.

fingerbang
    Free Member

I’m mainly a Bonham fan boi, and disagree with ginger baker. Bonzo could swing and groove like a MF. Baker always seemed blinded by his own ego and bitter that bonzo was always seen as number one rock drummer

I also love Reni for sheer talent and I love
    Sam fogarino from Interpol for precision

Also Jon Theodore from Mars Volta for some intense musical drumming

But Jimmy chamberlain for me. Just awesome. Groove, chops, creativity, originality. The lot

Cherub rock and Geek USA best display his talents

doris5000

Some of my favourites have already been mentioned (Tony Allen, Clyde Stubblefield, Jaki Liebezeit)

But also:

Bernard Purdie
    Mitch Mitchell (Jimi Hendrix Experience)
    Ed Greene (a session drummer who did a lot with Barry White’s Love Unlimited Orchestra – ‘I’m Gonna Love You Just A Little More’ has one of the slickest grooves ever)

More recently:

Questlove (The Roots, D’Angelo)
    Betamax (The Comet Is coming, various other projects)

I finally got to see Tony Allen about 3 years ago. He was in his late 70s and just made it look so effortless!

Oh, also, Steve Jordan. He’s one of these guys with incredible skills that but I haven’t heard a decent record with him on! There’s a solo video (possibly a Vic Firth promotion) of him on YouTube, which is awesome. Then you look for some records he features on and it’s all noodly jazz fusion…

fingerbang
    Free Member

Mitch Mitchell +1

That ‘manic depression’ waltz groove still sounds insane. Not many drummers from that era could’ve managed that

And obviously Clyde Stubblefield. I just wanted to list ones that handnt been mentioned

sillyoldman

Todd Trainer – Shellac

p7eaven
    Free Member

@doris5000 you may have watched/heard already but there is a great, great interview with Clyde Stubblefield and John Jabo Starks

twotonpredator

Gene Hoglan
    Nils Fjellstrom

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Gentlemen of a certain age. Your favourite drummers ?’ is closed to new replies.