Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 382 total)
  • Genesis Vagabond – anyone got one?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Partially just to keep this thread alive.

2018-11-18_06-51-42

Just given mine its inaugural mudbath at the Badlands CX Sportive. Built from a frame so I reflection on the genesis build. But I love it, so nicely balanced and the handling is spot on in the dropst

A 38t chainring just about clears in the middle position of an mtb chainset. But only just. I’ll swap it to the outer position for peace of mind when SSing.

What’s the second set of cable guides for on the downtube?

Pros:

Its like a CX bike that isnt trying to kill you and doesn’t need quite so mollcoddling thorough rough stuff. I didnt quite expect it to be as competent as it was. It’s still a drop bar bike with associated tiny wheelbase but its not bad.

Cons:

I put some old Sb8’s on there, theyre the 30tpi oem version, just googled it and it turns out that the 120tpi version is one of the draggiest xc tyres out there. At one point I was pedaling downhill on the road and could still feel the drag!

Selcof bars from PX have issues, the drops feel too short, theyre very stiff, the bend doesn’t line up with my brake hoods so theres a lump under my palm when holding them. Some Ritcheys might be coming on payday. The selcof are fine as long as you use thick tape and only really use the drop position.

Dickyboy

Sold mine, enjoyed riding it in the dry Chilterns but just wish I’d never sold the Swift it replaced 😒

ajantom

What’s the second set of cable guides for on the downtube?

I wondered that….my guess is Alfine gear routing. Though you’d have to use a tensioner.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Alfine still only needs one cable on the drive side doesn’t it?

I did wonder if it was for a rohlof, but then it would be one open cable and one sealed witch is a bit wierd. And the frame isnt otherwise designed for it.

The only thing I could think of is I found the brake cable didnt bend so well round the headtube so ive routed the brake up the right hand side to give it a gentler bend. But there’s easier ways to solve that than doubling up on routing.

IdleJon

I put some old Sb8’s on there, theyre the 30tpi oem version, just googled it and it turns out that the 120tpi version is one of the draggiest xc tyres out there. At one point I was pedaling downhill on the road and could still feel the drag!

My 2017 Vagabond came with SB8s. Not sure which version – I’m guessing they are a cheap own type – but I can’t say that I’ve noticed them being draggy at all. Quite the opposite in fact, but then I spend most of my time on trail MTB tyres these days. What does annoy me about the SB8s is that they clog up with absolutely anything and then spray it everywhere as soon as I pick up speed. I’ve never seen a tyre quite as bad for it as this.

vagabond61
    Free Member

My build. Mostly XT
    Jones Loop Bar
    Hope BB and Headset
    165mm cranks, 40/28:11-36
    Vittoria Tyres: Front- Mezcal 2.1, Rear- Mezcal Barzo 2.35 on Crest Rims
    Been riding this about on the gravel and bike paths around Edinburgh. Great fun! Hoping to get out for a couple of long rides in Scotland over the Summer.
    My only gripe is with myself; at 5’6″ (30″ inseam) I’m caught between S:M frame sizes. This is the medium but it’s frustrating not being able to fit a decent Carradice saddlebag in the back due to lack of clearance… Clarence. Maybe I should have bought a small..?

View this post on Instagram

Sunday run out to North Berwick

A post shared by Steve Bishop (@bish_1961) on

IdleJon

Your Insta account is private so I can’t see any pics.

Not sure what you mean about the saddlebag? Is it that the seatpist is down too far but would be extended on the small? (I’m on a medium as well, but I’m about 5’10”).

holdsteady

are bar end shifters as horrendous to use as they look?

martymac

Bar end shifters are great, much more ‘direct’ feel than any sti type shifter.
    You can get adapters to use them on flat bars too.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Loving the new frameset color, just disappointed to see no extra mounts on the forks for maybe some bikepacking duties 🙁

IdleJon

I thought I’d hate them but I don’t miss ‘modern’ shifters at all when I’m on the Genesis. I wouldn’t want to put them on my cx race bike, though. The only annoying bit for me is that I often clunk my knee into them when I dismount, and change gear.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m considering fitting one, I reckon as long as the drops aren’t too long it would actually sit nicely just behind your hand most of the time. The geometry really does favour spending the whole time in the drops.

jlawie
    Free Member

Picked up a Vagabond for my daily commute yesterday. It’s actually @provdes old steed.(the other STW owner earlier in this thread.

First ride in today. Thing flies considering the weight!

Need to tweak to bits here and there, but very happy to far.

Pictures to follow 🙂

nixie

Anyone with a large considering selling theirs? Still fancy one.

nixie

Thanks @jlawie am watching that one.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

@jlawie – what’s the position like for longer rides? It seems shorter and more upright than a lot of examples.

jlawie
    Free Member

@cromolyolly – Can’t comment on anything over 40k yet.

I’ve popped a 70mm stem on which feel about perfect for me. I’ve a host of back issues, so being a little more upright is exactly what I needed.

IdleJon

what’s the position like for longer rides? It seems shorter and more upright than a lot of examples.

I think my longest ride on mine last year was just under 110k, mixed cycle paths, canal paths and the Sarn Helen Roman road into the hills, which is very rough in places. I was fine!

I also rode Gritfest on it – 90km on the first day, 45km on the second. It was a good bike for that event.

I wouldn’t hesitate to take it for even longer rides.

crabeychris
    Free Member

Me and a friend cycled LEJOG on ours (100 miles a day) we both found them very comfy

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Cheers guys. I keep shifting between a more “classic” design tour/adventure/gravel bike like the Croix de fer and vagabond style. Can’t decide which.

jlawie
    Free Member

@cromolyolly

I guess its very much dependent on the distances you plan to ride and the terrain in which its done.

90% of my riding will be on road, but the option to run 2inch (50c) plus tyres gives me far more tubeless options. And the additional drag seems to be negligible between that and my 38c’s on my old bike.

Believe the vagabond frame is actually marginally lighter than the CdF as well.

nixie

I’m having similar problem deciding to you @cromolyolly . Already have a longitude which I swap plus wheels and 700c wheels between however fancy trying suspension on that and also trying drop bars. Longitude is a large so I think is too long for drop bars, dispite otherwise being similar to a vagabond.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Already have a longitude which I swap plus wheels and 700c wheels between

I thought about a longitude. I’ve looked at more mtb style bikes and imaged swapping wheels like you and so on. I came to the conclusion for me that a flat bar hooligan bike (so I can manual, bunnyhop things, ridea swoops and jump when the mood strikes) is necessary and a “just ride” on whatever, wherever is also necessary. It just depends on how wherever I want to go.

The escapade is interesting. Tyre clearance for 2 and a bit inches but more traditional, less short and upright. Then I look at vagabonds and the like and think the shorter more upright thing might work.
    Of course if I could fit a medium, I could have longer but still upright.

Believe the vagabond frame is actually marginally lighter than the CdF as well.

I don’t not know that.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

*doublepost.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Cheers guys. I keep shifting between a more “classic” design tour/adventure/gravel bike like the Croix de fer and vagabond style. Can’t decide which.

I’ve owned both a Vagabond and a classic touring bike within months of each other. *Warning* Big Long Ramble ahead, may be useful, maybe not.

IME/for my purpose a monstercross is jack of all and master of none other than versatility*

A few things i’ve learned about touring and bicycles.
    If was mostly tarmac-touring then my old 531ST touring bike would still be in the stable. It was an utter joy to ride for that specific purpose. Long-legged, roomy, strong-yet-light and almost magically sprightly over rougher roads. With 35c tyres squeezed in it would do easier gravel too, no problem.

After hefting a friends CdF I’m pretty sure that I’d still instead pick the old 1980s custom tourer for the superb ride characteristics on tarmac/minor roads. The more relaxed geometry of the old skooler is also superior, IMO.

As it was, I had to choose one economically priced bike for touring/playing and work (which often involves lugging camera and other kit to out of the way places down miles of farm tracks, bridleways and forest roads). So out went both the old 531 touring bike (which wasn’t getting used owing to time constraints, and I needed the cash for a move), and out also went the rigid 26er MTB that I had been using as a general multi-surface gadabout/bike-packer. Living in the super-rainy muddy West Country I also wanted disc brakes if I was going to have one bike. So in came the Vagabond to ‘replace’ both.

If your riding is to be be more light bike-packing and rough stuff then a monster-crosser is probably the most versatile bike to the point where a simple tyre change takes it from fairly capable long distance tourer* to a capable ATB/rigid MTB. As said, while excelling in neither, it (IME) really excels in versatility.

*At barely 5’10’ with a T-Rex arm-to-leg ratio I ride a medium Vagabond which is spot-on with regards comfort and short/medium rides on a variety of stuff. The Vagabond is a short bike in the wheelbase dept. It’s also nicely balanced. As such it’s a hoot to flick around in the woods, easy to carry over stiles, easy to store, comfy and balanced on long loaded rides. etc –

BUT, were I to be doing mostly long-distance loaded-touring on mostly tarmac then I’d want something slacker, more long-legged and roomier with a horizontal top-tube for more between-frame space. Or maybe even a compromise again except a Vagabond in large size. I’ve yet to try one.

One final point on all-terrain cycling – I started out riding for fun/exploring and commuting in late 80s early 90s with drop-bar bikes and early rigid ATBs. All steel. Back then I’d use these for all types of riding. Just the joy of getting out and riding on half-decent kit that probably won’t break and doesnt rattle. I now discovered that the Vagabond gives all the benefits of that type of riding in a modern package, ie discs, 29ers, big tyres, great standover, and wide drops.

It feels old-skool tough and is a work of well-thought-out simplicity itself. Just get on and ride, maybe not knowing quite where you’ll end up, but knowing that you can take a rocky trail, rolling downhill section, miles of moorland or 100 miles of tarmac either way and yet still enjoy the ride in comfort.

Shod with >2.1 tyres the bike feels bombproof. It’s also underkeks-wreckingly fast on twisty-jumpy single-track pointing. If you trust your inner Jedi in the drops and use those old skills to float over the roots and rocks at speed then you’ll be at the bottom sooner than you imagined, awash in a flood of adrenalin. It grabs a few panniers full of groceries with a shrug, flicking easily in and out of traffic, heads up good visibility. Flip stem for more aero. Just a great all-round bike really.

No, the Vagabond of course doesn’t replace either a hardtail or a road-tourer although it will tackle such terrains without killing you or even being a hardship. It’s a compromise, yet a great and fun one for my needs/tastes. That, and and I also have a hardtail for more mentalist pursuits. The return of the retro-tourer can wait until I have a dry garage and plenty of spare time. Meanwhile (for me) the Vagabond is the ultimate, economical, simple, strong ‘just hop on and ride anywhere’ type bike. Last night before bed I had a brain-fart, grabbed the Vagabond rode it around the block just to watch the full moon. I was loathe to return. Also noticed again that it climbs very nicely indeed. Important stuff hereabouts. Already planning tonight’s hill-ride + minor-road loop, relishing the anticipation of riding it on this bike. That says it all for me. That, and it’s a keeper – as originally hoped 👍🏼 🚵

jlawie
    Free Member

@Malvern Rider

That exactly as I see it.

Jack of no trades, but still a fun bike to ride.

It’ll never replace my hardtail, but it makes my commute to and from work more fun. Especially as its give me the ability to blast through the woods if it takes my fancy.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

If you keep posting stuff like that, you are going to cost me money. I’ll have to have both to make a legit comparison.

In pictures, it looks like the vagabond has an upwards sloping stem – is that because they out one on, HT angle, something else?

jlawie
    Free Member

I run a 7 degree stem with it dropped (or upside down).

With a 71 degree headangle, the stem is still pointing up, but not as drastically as most the pictures online show.

The Genesis website shows a 15 degree stem. Which is 22 degrees steeper than what I run.

Frankly…the stem looks ridiculous on the Genesis website (in my opinion of course).

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Frankly…the stem looks ridiculous on the Genesis website (in my opinion of course).

It put me off initially. I thought maybe someone had “gnarpooned” it. I should have done the math instead of being lazy.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Frankly the stem looks ridiculous

Let’s not kid ourselves about monstercrossers not looking ridiculous, it’s part and parcel. It was born a wrong ‘un.

Also I find it’s often worth reminding myself that 97% of the population (if in US, Uk or Aus) just see an adult on a bicycle and think that you look/are ‘ridiculous’ whatever ‘flavour’ of stuff you hang off it. That, and I don’t really GAS what others think as bought it to ride and enjoy.

Practically speaking – I took possession of the bike with the stem flipped as pictured. It doesn’t need any more rise IMO, especially with the spacer stack and mad-long head-tube. I tried the stem flipped in riser mode and didn’t get on with the feel of it so wel as flipped low as shown.

Here pictured in both winter road mode (35c, SKS Bluemels guards) and summer rough stuff load-lugging mode (2.1″) with Freeload/Thule racks. I also use an Alpkit love mud rear pannier-rack and fit it for local shopping when the need arises. It’s just four M5 bolts so is on and off in no time. Future plans include upgrading pedals to decent flats, and also trying some cork bar tape.

Ggf
    Ggh

cromolyolly
    Free Member

That looks pretty normal to me. Okay a bit steep in the TT but nothing ridiculous. Not like some the pics I’ve seen with the riser stem.
    Looks rather lovely in that colour. Would you consider a trade for a broken Playstation?

jlawie
    Free Member

Looks pretty good to me 🙂

w00dster

Apologies if this has already been asked, but is there much difference between the Vagabond and the Fugio?
    I’m after a new commuter, will be 70% on-road. But I also want something that can be used for cross style rides plus simple trails, for example, Thetford and even South Downs Way.
    I don’t like the gearing on the Fugio though, its 50/34, I’d prefer a sub compact. But I like the 650b x 50mm and hydraulic disc brakes. I know I can change the gearing, but as its mainly going to be a commuter I’d rather not.
    Reading Malvern Riders description I might be better off getting a hardtail. I have a Trek Fuel Ex, for the majority of my riding its just too much bike. I did Thetford on it yesterday and it really is overkill.
    (I’m limited to bikes, I also have two road bikes, so my choice seems to be Vagabond, Fugio or hardtail)

nixie

Fugio has front and rear through axles where the vagabond in qr.

jlawie
    Free Member

@w00dster

Get yourself a Trek Superfly. I’ve the 9.7 Carbon version and its taken a beating!

Both on and offroad!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Woodster if 70% road and the rest forest and odd trail then sounds like a road/gravel bike + a decent hardtail would make sense. The Fuel seems like the fool in the pack. You need two aces in the hand – for the 2 jobs at hand.

w00dster

Hi Marlvern Rider, 70% road is commute.
    I ride lots of places, fuel is useful for Snowdonia and even Woburn which I ride most weeks. But it’s too much bike for Thetford,too good to leave at the station but I’ll be keeping it as it’s the one bike I had to justify to Mrs W (I’m a roadie really and she couldn’t understand why I’d want a reasonably expensive full sus)
    I ride Thetford twice a week (drive past it on way home), I also use my Trek Domane with CX tyres for gravel rides (South Downs Way and Ridgeway type). The Domane is the wrong bike and I’m in pain for a few days after (I’m 46 had a few falls over the years and my body hurts)
    I was looking at the Vagabond / Fugio as a decent commuter to leave at station, have fun on the way to the station, and the days when driving past Thetford using it for the Red Route (it’s a gentle red). Plus when the opportunity arises for my longer (100 mile+ gravel days).
    The 2018 Fugio is available in my size for £1200, very tempted until i read earlier post, that swayed me towards a hard tail. Being so sore after long off road days is pointing me towards that.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

The 2018 Fugio is available in my size for £1200, very tempted

The croix de fer and a couple of sets of wheels might suit you better and are even cheaper, since there are some of last year’s kicking around for £800 is for the 20. I’m sure I read about a guy that was running 650 with fairly large tyres (50mm ish?) but of course cannot find it now. Run the 700 with 30ish tyres when you are going road only. That was my rough plan until Malvern came along with his vagabond.

w00dster

I had the Croix Der Fer for a few years back in 2014 (ish). Never thought it could take 650b with 50mm tyres though.
    Only thing putting me off the CDF is the brakes on mine were pants. (Tiagra with Avid mechanical brakes, swapped for Trp Hy Red, but still not great.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 382 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.