Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 382 total)
  • Genesis Vagabond – anyone got one?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was thinking more chainring/chainstay (from page 4)

busseynova
    Free Member

I know but that’s a square taper which looks very short, doesn’t look like you’d even get a granny ring on there. I’d guess if he had made it work, chainline would be under 48mm.

rwb61
    Free Member

I’ve got an Ultegra 53/34 on mine with an SLX HT2 bottom bracket. It’s set up with a .5mm spacer on the left side and all the rest on the drive side, just clears enough. Shifters and mechs are all Ultegra as well, cassette is 11-36 all works a treat.
    Used it for the first time nearly a month ago on the Scottish coast to coast race, delighted with how well it rides. When I can understand how to post pics I’ll put some up.

busseynova
    Free Member

Good to know. I’m now looking at the Rival 1 stuff which uses a road chainline, but with a single ring. The Sram docs are pretty comprehensive for dimensions so I’m going to have to draw the chainline up in CAD and try and get an idea of what mudguard / tyre clearance will be like.

busseynova
    Free Member

For what it’s worth, and for the info of anyone reading the above, rwb61 sent me some pics of his setup and he’s using quite a few spacers on the drive side, effectively putting his road double on an mtb chainline or about 58mm by the looks of it, maybe more. With some rudimentary measuring, it looks like it’s not possible to fit bigger than about 34t on a standard mtb chainline, the ring would sit in the crimp in the DS chainstay. The Rival 1 mentioned above uses a road chainline so it won’t work in a standard configuration.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Just noticed it’s been a year since this thread popped up. Interested to hear if anyone has used their Vagabond in anger? Full on monstercross? Flat-bar 29er? Swept bar reports? Far-flung bikepacking? Interesting specs? Fattest/narrowest tyres that have worked? Mudguards? My 2016 is still set up stock. I think Genesis did a great job speccing the build, to be fair. The Deore 2×10/ bar-end shifters still work like clockwork. Have yet to re-shoe the Spyres as my only real complaint has been the shocking wear-rate of the supplied pads.

Saw this pic today made me grin, am reminded to measure mine up for a framebag, 2018 approaches quickly…it’ll be spring bivvy-time before we know it

https://www.montanuswild.com/genesis-vagabond/

IdleJon

I’ve been very tempted to get a Vagabond so am bookmarking this thread..

ajantom

Do it! 😀
    Great bikes, extremely versatile, and good value for money (IMO). I’ve got a 2016, which I paid £750 for last November. It’s worth looking for end of year deals.

I’ve put about a 1000 miles on mine so far. It’s not my only bike, but unless I’m doing ‘proper’ off-roading then it’s the bike I tend to pick first.
    I even did a 110 mile sportive on it. Not the fastest bike, but probably then comfiest 😉

I’ve got 2 sets of wheels – the standard ones with 2.1 tyres on, and another set with 30c road/touring tyres on. Perfect for Devon country lanes.

waliboy

Has anyone with a small vagabond got any feedback on toe overlap? I’m thinking about replacing my Cotic Escapade which although mostly great does suffer from said overlap when I’m trackstanding at junctions or trying to negotiate nadgery bits of trail at slow speed which is frustrating. Also, anyone got any experience of using the vagabond with 650b as well?

crabeychris
    Free Member

Me and a friend completed JOGLE in September both on Vagabonds. Very versatile bikes. Only thing that lets the stock builds down is the wheels and headsets. We both had to change ours halfway through

[/url]End by crabeychris, [/img]

carson
    Free Member

can anyone confirm the rear stays are spaced at 135mm?
    Genesis’ geometry specs are silent but googling hubs they use on their stock build it looks like they’re 135mm oln
    that right?

ajantom

Standard 135 x 9 qr hubs

carson
    Free Member

thanks

mark82
    Free Member

Finally found decent chat about the vagabond… looking to buy full bike within the next month only thing putting me off is the shifters…. how do you guys find them to use??

ajantom

Fine. I’ve always liked barend shifters for their simplicity and robustness.
    Means you can shift on the bottom of the drops too.
    Very occasionally I might knock one with my knee when climbing out of the saddle, but that is literally my only issue with them!

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Long shot but has anyone tried a 27.5+ 2.8 in the back? Would likely be a maxxix ikon or rekon on a velocity blunt (31 internal) so not massive plus? Assuming the front would be no issue.

IdleJon

Ok, so I’m a few days away from getting a Vagabond. Before I commit, are there any sensible alternatives to consider. I’d love a Salsa but can’t afford one. Just been looking at Sonders but they are more gravel than drop-bar 29er (if that makes any sense at all.) Anything I should think about?

jeroend
    Free Member

mine custom build

genesis vagabond

Genesis vagabond

jeroend
    Free Member

mine custom build

genesis vagabond

Genesis vagabond

sillyoldman

Love that colour!

IdleJon

Jeroend – what brakes and shifters are you using? (Also, love the colour.)

I’ve ordered mine. Not massively keen on the greenish colour but I’m sure I’ll live with it once its covered in mud and crap!

bikerider
    Free Member

Considering getting a Vagabond.

However, I already have a Surly Krampus, and I’m wondering if there will be too much overlap between the two bikes.

Anyone on here got a Krampus AND a Vagabond?

Also, if I were to fit standard 29er wheels and lighter tyres to the Krampus, how do people think this might compare with a Vagabond?

Any thoughts much appreciated

jeroend
    Free Member

Brakes and shifters are Sram rival 1×11 hydraulic.

bikerider
    Free Member

That looks like a really nice build Jeroend.

What wheels do you have on there. Apologies if you’ve already mentioned this elsewhere.

jeroend
    Free Member

I have 2 sets for the vagabond

-ZTR crest + DT revolution +  DT 240’s

-Newmen 25 + sapim race + hope pro4

bikerider
    Free Member

Nice, two wheelsets were something I was considering.

IdleJon

Just found out that there is no availability of small or medium sizes until mid-April. Do I have the patience to wait…..

fatmountain
    Free Member

… Sorry if this has been mentioned already – but does anyone think you’d get a 650b+ in there? Say a 2.8″? Looks like a great bike. I did the GDMBR and a lot of off-pavement touring in Spain with a the Longitude 2017 which runs 2.8″ tires. Plus tires are overkill for gravel riding but great on the rough stuff. Would be very interested in a Vagabond for my up coming trip to South Africa as it’s mostly gravel/service roads….

carson
    Free Member

am building up my vagabond but have encountered an issue…hope pro 4 hub with sram xd driver and 11 speed sram 10-42 cassette – the 10t sprocket is too close to the chainstay / dropout for the chain to sit on it and clear the frame… scratching my head wondering whats gone wrong

carson
    Free Member
    drovercycles
    Free Member

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 12px; background-color: #eeeeee;”>Just found out that there is no availability of small or medium sizes until mid-April. Do I have the patience to wait…..</span>

We have a 2017 Medium in stock if anyone is interested – reduced from £999 to £799.  Could, by the looks of things, get hold of a 2018 Medium for anyone who wanted one too.  Smalls a bit harder to come by but feel free to give us a shout and we’ll try.

ajantom

“However, I already have a Surly Krampus, and I’m wondering if there will be too much overlap between the two bikes.

Anyone on here got a Krampus AND a Vagabond?”

Yep 🙂

and no, very different personalities bikewise.

Krampus for ‘proper’ off-road riding and exploring the woods. Vagabond for gravelling and road bimbling.

IdleJon

Drovercycles, where are you based? Very interest.

edit: got so excited that I missed the ‘ed’ off ‘interested’!

Looks like you’re in Hay and open at 10am tomorrow? Do you take credit cards? Maybe a day out….

drovercycles
    Free Member

Yep we’re in Hay. Credit cards fine. Officially closed tomorrow but happy to swing by the shop and show you the bike if you want to come and see it.

IdleJon

Thanks drover. It’ll take 90 minutes or so to drive – can I pop in at 11.30, 12ish?

drovercycles
    Free Member

Sounds good to me!  Will see you there and I’ll put the kettle on.

IdleJon

Ta v much – see you tomorrow.

IdleJon

Drovercycles, thanks again for opening the shop.

I had a ride when I got home – 25 miles that I normally do on the cross bike, with a few MTB trails thrown in. The bike was excellent, even more fun than I thought it would be. I’m very pleased.

hoppy58
    Free Member

Here’s mine..off road

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TQoJ6d].[/url] by hop58, on Flickr

and in road set-up

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TbPEqP]IMG_4926[/url] by hop58, on Flickr

I started off with the 1 bike/2 pairs of wheels scenario, but in the end couldn’t be arsed changing them around so built up a Longitude just for off-road and I use the Vagabond for gentle off-road and lanes/roads. The tyres are Vittoria hypers 700c x 35mm and are super plush and quite fast rolling…also they’ll happily take on tow paths and forest roads. I had a pair of Spa cycles wheels built up for the Vagabond (not shown) with a sp dynohub front hub for night use.

It’s a small and I’m 5’8″. I love the way it just steamrollers rough lanes/rutted tracks really confidently and it’s so, so comfy all day long.

Cheers.

IdleJon

I’m really pleased with mine. Just checked Strava and I’ve done 508km since I bought it from Drover Cycles, just over two months ago. I was a bit concerned that it could be the worst of all things – steel frame and forks, heavy 29er wheels, etc, but it is really responsive and genuine fun even on the road. I’ve mainly been using it for the old fashioned xc type stuff that I would normally use the cx bike on – where I would never take a 150mm fs bike but really want more width than a 32mm cx tyre provides.

I’ve  been rediscovering old rocky climbs and holloway  type tracks that I haven’t been on for years. My CAADX tyres have gone soft from lack of use!

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 382 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.