Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Genesis Tarn 29, anyone got one?
  • BigM
    Free Member

Fancy the Tarn 29, some bargains out there at the moment.
    Anyone own one, what do you think of them?

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Probably a poor man’s Solaris, but I like it. I bought an original Tarn 10 from the classifieds on here, but a series of upgrades have seen it morph into something closer to the Tarn 29. It’s been my most ridden bike over the last couple of years and has rendered my full susser mostly redundant.

Got 29er wheels on it for the winter as the Plus tyres I find a bit sketchy in sloppy mud.

Im 5’10”, of average propeortions, and the medium is a good fit – I wouldn’t want it any longer lower and slacker than it already is.

davros

Great bike. I built mine up last year and I’ve probably used it more than the full-sus since. The frame is on the heavy side but the great geometry and comfort make up for it. Only used mine in 29 flavour. Tempted to try plus but trying to keep things simple. 2.4 ardent on the back gives a smooth ride.

Medium tarn and Solaris frames in the classifieds!

greyspoke
    Free Member

I got one, built up a bit pimpy from a frame. It now has 27.5+ wheels, I prefer the bb height with 27.5+, but then I have a 140mm fork (x-fusion McQueen HLR) fitted. It was also a beast with 29″ wheels on though. I am a smidge under 6′ and got a medium, which is fine, a large would probably have been ok but the geo is loooong for the sizing.

klunky
    Free Member

I love my one. Rides nice but as mentioned a bit heavy.
    I don’t think it needs much changing from stock other than the handlebar which I never liked.

The Shimano hubs are basic and an extra blob of grease in them before getting started is a good idea. I think the geometry is spot on in terms of a balance of long and slack / sensible / trail.

The headset on my one is a bit noisy under breaking but it doesn’t really bother me.

The only real problem is it had an odd size of seat clamp and no one makes a qr for it.
    I emailed Genesis and they sorted me out though.

Think I paid about a grand which was a bargain.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I have a 2017 Tarn 10. It’s got 29er, 27.5+ and 29+ wheels ( 3.0 fr 2.6) . Much prefer it on the 29+. Lovely detailed and riding frame. I’m 511 and have a large wouldn’t want a medium as it fits lovely. I’ve tried suspension but prefer it rigid with the 29+. I’ve swapped the stem and bars and added another dropper. Great bike.

BigM
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback. Managed to pick a new one up for £899.

I intend to swap bars and saddle, possibly fit a dropper. Out of interest what size is the seat post clamp?

I have a Fortitude single speed and a full sus, just took the opportunity to snap up a bargain, may consider a change of wheels in the future.

davros

Oh yeah the seatclamp is odd. I managed to get an orange strange to fit with a slight alteration.

tarn

Pic from today’s big ride 😎

superstu
    Free Member

front mech is 34.9 so assume that the seatclamp is also? Frame only option for 2019 comes with seatclamp, axle and headset. I bought one in January but yet to get it built up. Some bargains around on them!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Tarn 29, anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.