Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 327 total)
  • Genesis Longitude thoughts
  • tootallpaul

Loops waiting to be fitted.

🙂

fin25
    Free Member

Got a Jones loop on mine, very comfortable, helps it feel a little less long in the top tube.

tootallpaul

fin- what length stem you running?

fin25
    Free Member

Bought the bike fully built, still using the stem that came on it, which I think is 80mm.

mccett
    Free Member

Just got my frameset yesterday,being built up from parts bin over next few days. Went for 17″ frame after reading useful comments on here re sizing. Only part I don’t have yet is some 29er tyres so may have to test ride on cx tyres….should at least have plenty mud clearance!

shuhockey
    Free Member

Longitude
    Ringinglow last night

Cheezpleez

Nice! What’s that seatpack?

shuhockey
    Free Member

Carradice SQR Tour or slim not 100%.
    Had it a couple of years now and it’s been great.

letmetalktomark

My plan was, may still be, to run a Rohloff but struggling to work out where to anchor the torque arm is a place that would allow rear wheel removal in a sensible time!

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

If anyone’s considering a Chronicle, this might be of some help.

Maxxis Chronicle on Bear Bones

cupra
    Free Member

Running Jones loops and Chronicles at the moment.

cupra
    Free Member

Basic but reliable build for my bike packing ride. Will use my apidura pack on the seat post as required:

tootallpaul

Cupra – how is the chain clearance in the lowest gear?

fudge9202
    Free Member

Are the alt bars any good? Or should I consider something else, and if so what?

mccett
    Free Member

I built mine today with the Alt bars and just couldn’t get on with them. They make sense for your hand position but it just feels strange. Going to try normal flat bars and bar ends I think. Anyone recommend any 720mm flat bars?

rOcKeTdOg

On one ancho flats, currently £9.99 & 760mm

tootallpaul

Measured the clearance for lowest gear. 2mm at the most. Is that enough, or am I going to chew up the tyre with the chain.

Bike remains untested due to illness.

🙁

cupra
    Free Member

I never used the alt bars as I have the Jones. With regard to clearance I get slight tyre rub in the lowest 26×36 gear but it clears fine as soon as I change up one gear.

cupra
    Free Member

Ironically having looked at my work schedule for the coming year and with a house sale and house purchase coming up I fear it may languish in the garage 🙁

mccett
    Free Member

Cheers for that rocketdog, i’ll check them out. First ride today and only third ride on a 29er. Wasn’t convinced the first couple times due to them being v steep angle carbon niner singlespeeds but this is so far removed from that. Not running big wide rims or fat tyres but so far it really trucks over stuff and I’m really impressed.

I’m 5’10 and the 17.5″ is perfect.

The Alt bars that came with the frame though…. they will be for sale.

tootallpaul

Cupra – Similar, if not a little worse than mine then.

I’m contemplating a set of Surly OD cranks- they should give an extra 5mm of clearance.

I like the alt bars- but I’ve been an alt bar convert for years. They need a little time to click, but they really work for me- the hand placement postion seems more natural, and I get less problems with my hands…

Paceman
    Free Member

Mccett, I might be interested in the Alt Bars, if you decide to sell them can you email me details and a photo?

cupra
    Free Member

My alt bars are for sale as I’ll never use them with having the Jones loops.

Cheezpleez

I too could be interested in alt bars If anyone’s selling them. Email in profile.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I changed the alt bars for flatties when I built it, but I have changed back as I found it a little too long with a standard bar. Gotta say I love them now, so much so I think I might get a similar bar for my Sync. Can’t stop looking at the Jones Ti ones, but ouch! They’re a lot of dosh….

Paceman
    Free Member

Hummerlicious, what’s the backsweep like on the Genesis Alt Bars? I’ve been considering these On-One bars which have a 25 degree backsweep…

tootallpaul

Paceman- from the Genesis site:

With an unconventional 20° backsweep, our new Alt bars might (ok, do) look a little weird and take a few rides to get used to but once you do you’ll appreciate the better handling and supreme comfort, especially over long distances they offer by allowing the wrists and shoulders to be positioned at a more neutral/natural angle (put your arms in front of you and notice the position to which the wrists naturally fall). With enough forward wiggle to not need any stem compensation and a trail-friendly 720mm width or trim-able if you so wish.

tootallpaul

Paceman- what bars are those? I can’t find em on the on-one site.

Scratch that, I found them- OG Bars. Carbon too. Very shiny.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBOOOG/on-one-og-handlebar

Must resist. Jones bars to fit.

stretchtoo
    Free Member

tootallpaul – I’ve got ~2mm clearance on my standard one with the knards and the middle ring – I’ve dialled out the smallest ring. Seems fine so far, and from what I can find in blog posts about fat bikes it seems to be normal.

tootallpaul

Finally ridden.

It is just brilliant.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qPiEJ5]P1050626[/url] by too_tall_paul, on Flickr

Chain is too close in the first gear – Surly OD cranks will sort that out.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/r6HoNK]P1050610[/url] by too_tall_paul, on Flickr

fin25
    Free Member

So I’ve had it a couple of months now, mostly set up like this for commuting/light touring. Took it round Cannock (dog and monkey) in its stock set-up, soon found the limit of my skills on it 😳 but someone with actual bike handling skills would have no trouble on it.
    The Jones bars are awesome, makes it feel a bit less long in the TT.
    Will probably go 3″ and 1×10 later in the summer, once I’ve scratched the touring itch…

#EDIT# Yes, my garden is a bomb-site…

officerfriendly
    Free Member

As an owner of an ECR, I’m so jealous of the longitude. I want one now! It costs less new than my used ECR frameset did 🙁

beesey

I don’t suppose anyone knows where I can source a 17.5 putty frame? No one seams to have stock! I’ve been searching high and low and apparently genesis will getting no more stock in

slackman99
    Free Member

Considering one of these on C2W.

Currently have a Trek Stache with 620mm ETT and 427mm Reach. Find this a nice size with a short 55mm stem.

Looking at the Genesis geometry charts, the 17.5 is the closest match and would be just right IF the measurements are correct (i’d be running standard bars)

However, from some of the previous posts it seems that the 19 actually has an ETT of 610mm and the 17.5 is much smaller.

Does anyone have an actual 17.5 ETT measurement?

sumac
    Free Member

Hey all

I’m getting new frame and can’t decide between the classic “XC” 29er like inbred or karate monkey and 29+ compatible frame – like the longitude. Anyone here can compare the two? I’ll only run full rigid and intended use is mostly slowish tech-y riding and occasional bigger (loaded) trip.. I really like the geo of the longitude except that super long chainstays.. Does it feel slow compared to the standard 29er?

thanks!

Clink

I’m getting new frame and can’t decide between the classic “XC” 29er like inbred or karate monkey and 29+ compatible frame – like the longitude. Anyone here can compare the two? I’ll only run full rigid and intended use is mostly slowish tech-y riding and occasional bigger (loaded) trip.. I really like the geo of the longitude except that super long chainstays.. Does it feel slow compared to the standard 29er?

Stooge sounds perfect for the riding you describe.

iainc

also been pondering one of these, for very similar type stuff, however the imminent introduction of the rigid 27.5+ Genesis has got me rethinking, as the geometry seems a lot better for me (short legs, longish torso, 5ft 10)

Paceman
    Free Member

sumac – Member
    Hey all

thanks!

A Karate Monkey will run 29+ front and a pretty big rear tyre. Also check out the Surly Krampus and the Stooge.

BillOddie

Conti x-king 2.4 on Pacenti DL31 rims fit in the back of my KM with loads of clearance. That’s with the Monkey nuts fitted.

frood
    Free Member

I’ve ridden my longitude down some pretty technical terrain, 19″ 35mm stem, straight bars. I’m 5’11”. I wouldn’t worry about the length of the chain stays, lovely bike handles well stable but can really be thrown around in the bends and berms too. Haven’t run it SS yet, but will do in the future. If you can have a shot on one, if you’re up near Edinburgh you can try mine.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 327 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Longitude thoughts’ is closed to new replies.