Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 327 total)
  • Genesis Longitude thoughts
  • tyredandcranky
    Free Member

Hi Dickyboy, we’ll have the demo until the end of the season, and yes we’re in Swansea. Postcode is SA4 4HJ
    If you like, send me an email at unitycycleworks at gmail.com, and I can let you know when it arrives?

tyredandcranky
    Free Member

Hi all,

We’ve got the Longitude custom build up online, and there’s some detail shots to boot!

http://www.unitycycleworks.co.uk/products/genesis-longitude-custom-build-2015

fudge9202
    Free Member

This could very well be a bike that will be my first venture into a 29er, looks like it could be a good singletrack runner and cover some miles as a tourer.

tootallpaul

Sorely tempted still. I think it will wait till spring though.

Loving the Custom Build tyredandcranky.

🙂

fudge9202
    Free Member

Think I will be waiting to spring aswell, between now and then I will gather up the parts, can anyone recommend a set of wheels for singletrack use to run a ten speed.

Paceman
    Free Member

geoffj – Member

Another Fargo copy?

More of a Surly Krampus copy. I like it though.

tootallpaul

Is there a geometry diagram anywhere?

I can’t decide if I need a 19 or a 20.

🙂

shuhockey
    Free Member

I’m 6 foot and used to have a 56cm road bike.I have the 19″ if that helps.

tootallpaul

6 ft 4.

L roadrat
    19″ Inbred
    19″ Sawyer
    L Solaris

I’d like to know the TT length if anyone has it.

kazafaza
    Free Member

6’2″ and got 20,5″ with 60mm stem and offset seatpost – fits me well enough to do 60 miles on the first run… It is longer than the Fortitude it is replacing though!

BONUS QUESTION: what is the ETT on 19″? I don’t fully trust the geo chart on the previous page…

more pics to follow:

EDIT: will post the ETT for 20,5″ when I get back home tonight…

Hooter
    Free Member

Just ordered mine from the Bikeshak, I’m 5’8″ and went for a 16″ as the standover of the 17.5″ Genesis 29er in the shop seemed quite high for the nominal size. Getting excited about building it up now 🙂

guitarhero
    Free Member

I want one of these but would struggle to justify one in addition to my Fortitude and Stooge.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Kazafaza, this would my first 29er what wheels and tyres are you running as I would be buying the frame/fork but would like to run 2.4 tyres?

kazafaza
    Free Member

I’ve got SP dynamo and XT M765 hubs laced to Ryde Trace Enduro rims with Bontrager XR3 2.35 tyres.
    The only reason I haven’t fitted Knard 29+ tyres is because they were out of stock in folded version. Now I reckon I will wait for Bontrager Chupacabras 😈

BTW: Effy toptube on 20,5″ is ~645mm.

paul4stones

Long!

Edit: And more pics please 🙂

Paceman
    Free Member

Yeah, I’d be interested to see more photos, particularly of Longitudes built up with 29+ rims and tyres.

tootallpaul

Cheers for the TT measurements kazafaza.

Anyone out there got a 19 that they can measure?

Also- anyone know of a retailer in the South East who might have a 19″ in stock?

Evans only have them available to order.

tootallpaul

Also- anyone who has bought a frame- what did the frame come with?

kazafaza
    Free Member

The frame comes with 20*deg, 20mm rise, 710(?)mm bars and FSA headset(cartridge bearings), touch-up paint, ss chain tensioners, cable clips…

tootallpaul

I don’t suppose any of the Longitude owners are in the South East?

I cannot work out the sizing at all…

🙂

tyredandcranky
    Free Member

tootallpaul – What would you like to know about sizing? We’ve got a 19″ demo in stock so I’m happy to measure up.

I could try and find out anything you need to know about the Longitude direct from Genesis.

Fire any questions at unitycycleworks at gmail.com

We’ve got limited edition Genesis Tshirts with every 2015 model, these are currently exclusive to us!

robdob
    Free Member

Genesis website has been updated with 2015 bikes today.

kazafaza
    Free Member

Now someone at Genesis needs to take a ruler and double-check the geometry charts!

stretchtoo
    Free Member

Hi, I’ve joined up because I saw this thread, and thought I’d share the experience:

I’ve picked up a 20.5″ Longitude on Cycle Scheme(I’m 6’3″), and sold my 22″ Cube LTD Race, “dutch style” pub bike that’s mainly used with the kiddies, and will sell my old Surly Crosscheck too when the frame is welded up.

I’ve broken the n+1 rule because I think the longitude will do all the things I was doing with those three, and I want to try 29+.

I chose the longitude rather than a Krampus because the Krampus is v.expensive, my crosscheck was a fine bicycle(12-15000miles/6 years), but much, much heavier than other decent steel frames I’ve ridden, and it broke. The Longitude on cycle scheme comes in at half the cost, and I love my old Genesis Vapour, which is now taking over as commuter from the Surly.

Enough pre-amble: what’s it like?

Long! I’ve swapped the stem for a shorter higher one. Feels the right size for me.

The steel frame feels immediately more springy and lovely than my old crosscheck ever did – could be just shiny new bias, but I think it’s better. The conti tyres are good, make the wheels huge, but the fork is very solid, less spring than the crosscheck, and something to get used to after riding the Cube. I’ve had a couple of short rides, gone up and down some long shallow staircases and it climbs really well, going over stuff that would have stopped any of the old bikes with my crappy technique. I like it, and the stock tyres are great.

So the knards arrived last night and I stuck them straight on to see what the clearance is like if you just ignore the bottom ring at the front. The answer is tight = about 5-7 mm on the lowest gear at the back. More investigation required and I’ll probably sort out different cranks as recommended – only had time for up and down a few kerbs outside the house, so can’t comment on handling, it seemed good.

stretchtoo
    Free Member

Just had a read around and fatbike folks seem to accept 2mm and up as acceptable tyre-chain clearance, so I think I’ll wind in the adjuster to avoid selecting the small ring at the front and see how it goes.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

kazafaz, like the crown-mounted Revo, but surely it gets filthy with no mudguard?
    I use mine on my bars on the mtb and on the for crown on the road bike and even with full length mudguard, it gets covered in crud.

frood
    Free Member

stretchtoo – what’s the knard clearance like from the seat- and chainstays? is that on the stock 35mm rims too?

kazafaza
    Free Member

Thanks ir_bandito, the Face Fender XL is on its way, hope it’ll help!
    I have another light on my helmet for night riding hence the Revo sits as low as poss for different beam angles…the thought of mounting it on the bmx-style peg has crossed my mind! 😆

stretchtoo: pics with fat~ish rubber, please!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So are Knards okay on the stock 35mm Alex rims then?

stretchtoo
    Free Member

frood – loads of clearance on the frame.

& yes, I read that knards work down to 35mm, then I googled and found this:

http://www.pedalingnowhere.com/gear/surly-knard-review-27tpi-velocity-blunt-35-29er/

Which is pretty conclusive. Shame I can’t leave the family behind and do a similar test, but I’d miss them.

I’ve read that the 120tpi is looser fitting, so I’ve gone 27tpi and they took a bit of getting on, but once they were on the bead (pumped them to 30 psi to seat them) they seem firm. I doubt you can run at very low pressures that 50mm rims take, but still.

With the stock triple the 20t ring at the front is out of bounds, but I think I’ll get away with the middle ring, 30t is fine. 😀

I’ll have a look at the FAQ here and see if I can get some pics up.

stretchtoo
    Free Member

Must just stress that I only got the tyres on last night, so I’ve not done any serious off road tests yet, I’ve looked at the profiles of the Alex rims and the blunts the chap used in that blog and they’re similar. Fingers crossed.

shuhockey
    Free Member

Finally remembered to measure my 19inch Longitude. Don’t normally worry about measurements, just what feels right. So please don’t shoot the messenger if not 100% accurate. Marked up a picture to show what I did measure.

tootallpaul

Thank’s shuhockey.

I think I’m going 19″.

May be time to spend some money methinks.

frood
    Free Member

Genesis reckons 63.8cm ETT for the 19″, that’s a BIG difference!

tootallpaul

Trigger pulled- 19″ frame appeared to match my existing Solaris and Roadrat nearest.

🙂

shuhockey
    Free Member

I measured mine from the middle of the top of the headtube to the middle of the seatpost at about level. As in the picture, so this may differ from the genesis measurements.

stretchtoo
    Free Member

2.5 hours up into Lyme Park, down Mudhurst Lane, through to Roman Lakes and back via canal and Middlewood Way picking up a bit of single track. No problems from the knards running at 24/26psi front/rear. 30t middle ring low enough because it climbs like a gazelle. No clearance probs using cranks as a double. Very pleased!

stretchtoo
    Free Member

Forgot the phone today, but here are some ropey photos I took in the garage last night, just in case anyone is interested in knards/clearances:

20141120_204515

I’m just going to ride it on the stock cranks with the bottom adjuster wound in to prevent accidentally selecting the granny ring.

ampthill

Oh this is ridiculous

What on earth would I do with this bike

why am I googling 3 inch tyres

Why did i notice its under the cycle to work scheme limit

Just go away

senojevad
    Free Member

I’ve really enjoyed my Longitude so far even if it makes my singular swift and salsa vaya both feel like they’re on borrowed time!
    It’s really nimble and rides much lighter than picking it would suggest!

Questions:
    It was supplied with the chain tugs installed. Is everyone running gears using these, or is shifting optimised if I run the wheel as far forward as possible, also reducing the w/b which to my mind is a good thing?

Also, After a few horribly wet rides I really like the idea of running it with full length gaurds. How much does this complicate the removal of the rear wheel?You don’t have to undo the guards or anything?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 327 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Longitude thoughts’ is closed to new replies.